Greg Olsen visiting Bills, Redskins, Seahawks

FluffHead

17 minutes ago, ProcessAccepted said:

The booth will be there in a couple of years, if he still wants to play then he needs to play now while he still can.

That's true, but if it's true that he's now negotiating contract with all 3 teams, Meh. 

He made it sound in advance as though it was all about what he saw as the 'best fit' and the best opportunity for him and for his family.

Now it sounds like "I'm gonna use two of you guys to drive up my price".

• Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, ProcessAccepted said:

The booth will be there in a couple of years, if he still wants to play then he needs to play now while he still can.

Yes, it will.

How will Olsen’s long-term health be affected by a return to the field? That’s what I’m assuming he’s mulling.

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That's true, but if it's true that he's now negotiating contract with all 3 teams, Meh. 

He made it sound in advance as though it was all about what he saw as the 'best fit' and the best opportunity for him and for his family.

Now it sounds like "I'm gonna use two of you guys to drive up my price".

I'm sure he has a team in mind. Can't blame him for using the other two to get the the best deal possible. 

5 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Yes, it will.

How will Olsen’s long-term health be affected by a return to the field? That’s what I’m assuming he’s mulling.

Who knows, logically the booth is the smart business move, get out while you are still remembered as a good player. But if he still feels he has something to prove logic won't win this time.

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Can't blame him, but it'll be interesting to see how it works out. 

I think he'll be a Bill and Kroft will be hoping the other two teams Olsen was talking to are hiring. 

11 minutes ago, ProcessAccepted said:

Who knows, logically the booth is the smart business move, get out while you are still remembered as a good player. But if he still feels he has something to prove logic won't win this time.

I think he'll be a Bill and Kroft will be hoping the other two teams Olsen was talking to are hiring. 

I would be down with that at the right price, but if he's trying to leverage a long guaranteed deal I hope Beane "holds the line".

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I would be down with that at the right price, but if he's trying to leverage a long guaranteed deal I hope Beane "holds the line".

I think it will be a 1 year deal that looks like a 2 or 3 year deal (like Long with Club Options in year 2 and 3)

Edited by MAJBobby

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

That’s kind of what I think too. I’d be surprised if he picked the Redskins (unless the money is substantially higher). It feels like he is either going to a contender for a year or two or to the booth. 

As a larger media market, Washington makes way more sense than Buffalo.    He's looking at what will give him greater visability heading off into that future TV analyst job--being an ex-Redskin or an ex-Bill.    No contest, really...

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

I think he’s going to the booth. If the money is even close it’s a no-brainer.

He’s really good on TV IMO. He is going to be paid well to broadcast whether it be now or in a year or 2. 

12 minutes ago, Lurker said:

As a larger media market, Washington makes way more sense than Buffalo.    He's looking at what will give him greater visability heading off into that future TV analyst job--being an ex-Redskin or an ex-Bill.    No contest, really...

I’m not sure he needs greater visibility. He already has the NFL Network gig. He can walk into a network job yesterday if he wanted to.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

He’s really good on TV IMO. He is going to be paid well to broadcast whether it be now or in a year or 2. 

I’m not sure he needs greater visibility. He already has the NFL Network gig. He can walk into a network job yesterday if he wanted to.

Absence from the media (ie, burried in the wastelands of Buffalo) would turn instant job offers into, "hey, I remember him!  Whatever happened to that guy?  Didn't he play for Carolina?".. 

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

With the state of the Redskins, they are a bigger market but I think he would get more visibility in Buffalo.  Buffalo is an up and coming team (hopefully) and the Redskins are still scraping the bottom of the barrel.  They also look like they have a QB that none of the offensive line respects.

https://redskinswire.usatoday.com/2019/11/18/discouraging-video-shows-haskins-trying-to-fire-up-offensive-line-to-no-avail/

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

I wonder if teams ever negotiate a what-if scenario "handshake deal."

Example:  Olsen narrows it down to one team that he really likes, but doesn't want to put his body through the rigors of an entire season if it doesn't end with some postseason action.  For the purposes of this entirely made up scenario, let's say he decides that IF he's going to play, he only wants to play for the Bills.  Would Beane be willing (or legally able) to say, "Okay, Greg … if you promise to keep yourself in playing condition on your own time/while you're in the booth - and we end up getting to (9-3) through the first 13 weeks of the season - I'll give you a contract worth "x" amount of money to sign on for our likely playoff run."

great question.  anyone know the answer.  I don't see why it wouldn't be allowed.  It's not a "real" deal, so either side could back out.   

At any rate, I like the fact we are looking at FA TE's.  Hopefully Olson, Hunter, or Henry.  I'd prefer one of the latter, but getting Olsen now would alleviate the need to go all-in on the others, and free up money for a DE (Yannik!@) 

5 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Absence from the media (ie, burried in the wastelands of Buffalo) would turn instant job offers into, "hey, I remember him!  Whatever happened to that guy?  Didn't he play for Carolina?".. 

He already has a NFL Network job that he works through the offseason. He can go to TV now. Playing in Buffalo or Seattle or Washington has zero impact on what his TV career will be. He’s really, really good on TV. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

There is always the view that he is an ex player from a crappy team if he goes to the skins... big market or not, not a good look, 

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

So if Olsen keeps playing, its because he wants to improve his visibility for future TV analyst jobs? Interesting take. 

Edited by BillsFan2313

3 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

There is always the view that he is an ex player from a crappy team if he goes to the skins... big market or not, not a good look, 

So if he's an ex-player who ended his career hanging on in the second smallest NFL market, that's a good look?...