Greg Olsen visiting Bills, Redskins, Seahawks

FluffHead

5 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Is there a reason you're not calling your daughter's sister your daughter?

I leave that one as an exercise for the intelligent reader.

FTR, my daughter actually doesn't have a sister, but she does have a cousin who is not my niece.

Thank you for your interest in something where I'm sure "no one cares"

15 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Really?  What did he say?

Unfortunately  I cannot find the quote. I looked and cannot.

It was along the lines that it was his least favorite  city to go to for NFL games. 

If I find the  exact quote I'll post it

4 minutes ago, DJB said:

Unfortunately  I cannot find the quote. I looked and cannot.

It was along the lines that it was his least favorite  city to go to for NFL games. 

If I find the  exact quote I'll post it

Austin Hooper has never even played a game in Buffalo, has he?. Has to be something else 

Edited by YoloinOhio

6 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Austin Hooper has never even played a game in Buffalo, has he?. Has to be something else 

You might be correct. I just can't remember  what but it was quite negative  about Buffalo if I recall  

21 minutes ago, DJB said:

You might be correct. I just can't remember  what but it was quite negative  about Buffalo if I recall  

He was quoted in the article by Tim Graham where he interviewed players at the pro bowl about going to Buffalo as a FA destination. doesnt sound negative. 

The Bills also could stand an upgrade at tight end. Their quartet mustered 46 catches for 604 yards and four touchdowns.

Hooper over the past two seasons averaged 73 receptions for 724 yards and five touchdowns with the Atlanta Falcons. ESPN ranks Hooper 15th overall in this year’s free-agent class, second at tight end. PFF puts him 29th overall, third at tight end.

“Not everywhere’s Miami,” Hooper said. “Not everywhere’s Vegas. Not everywhere’s Southern California. Geographically, it’s going to be a little different. That’s the beauty of having teams all around the country. Different organizations have different positives and different deterrents. That’s in any business.”

https://theathletic.com/1569231/2020/01/29/are-the-bills-shaking-the-siberian-stigma-it-depends-what-matters-to-nfl-players-in-free-agency/

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Personally, I'd love to see the Bills add another legitimate target at tight end. 

People seem to act as if spending big money on one of the younger guys like Henry or Hooper would be foolish, because it would take reps away from Dawson Knox.

I don't understand this line of thinking.

The Patriots offense seemed to me to be at its most lethal when it had two legitimate tight ends. The degree to which offenses can put opposing defenses in a bind by coming out in 12 personnel featuring two legitimate receiving and blocking tight ends should not be underestimated.

Brandon Beane said he wants to get more "touchdown makers" for the Bills offense. That doesn't just have to mean wide receivers. A Henry/Knox or Hooper/Knox combo would be awesome. Most likely, they just roll with Kroft again (or Olsen, if he picks us), but consider me firmly in the minority of people who'd rather they sign a younger option. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Logic said:

Personally, I'd love to see the Bills add another legitimate target at tight end. 

People seem to act as if spending big money on one of the younger guys like Henry or Hooper would be foolish, because it would take reps away from Dawson Knox.

The Patriots offense seemed to me to be at its most lethal when it had two legitimate tight ends. The degree to which offenses can put opposing defenses in a bind by coming out in 12 personnel featuring two legitimate receiving and blocking tight ends should not be underestimated.

Brandon Beane said he wants to get more "touchdown makers" for the Bills offense. That doesn't just have to mean wide receivers. A Henry/Knox or Hooper/Knox combo would be awesome. Most likely, they just roll with Kroft again (or Olsen, if he picks us), but consider me firmly in the minority of people who'd rather they sign a younger option. 

I’d much rather pay for a legit, known threat than pray for a “maybe, I sure hope so” guy. Ideally they both are able to produce at a high level, then we really have something to look forward to! 

• Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

He was quoted in the article by Tim Graham where he interviewed players at the pro bowl about going to Buffalo as a FA destination. doesnt sound negative. 

https://theathletic.com/1569231/2020/01/29/are-the-bills-shaking-the-siberian-stigma-it-depends-what-matters-to-nfl-players-in-free-agency/

I guess maybe I've lost my mind and have  no idea what I'm talking about .  

I really did think  he said something  negative  specifically  about Buffalo. 

8 minutes ago, Logic said:

Keep in mind:  what was Daboll's coaching position during his most recent stint with the Patriots 2014-2016?  Yep, that's right, Tight Ends coach. 

2 of those years, Gronkowski was the leading receiver on the team and the third (Gronk was injured) Martellus Bennett and Gronkowski combined for the most receiving yards

Not in any way saying Daboll as a coach made Gronkowski great - Gronk came into the league while Daboll was off trying to OC for the Browns and had his best season while Daboll was OC for the Phins -  but no one besides Belicheck, McDaniels, and Brady is in a better position than Daboll to know what a great TE, or a pair of them, can do for an offense.

• Like (+1) 4

18 minutes ago, DJB said:

Graham strongly implied that.  Without providing specifics, Graham wrote " three of the most prominent players in the 2020 free-agent class — receiver Amari Cooper, tight end Austin Hooper and edge rusher Shaquil Barrett — also were frosty about the idea of Buffalo."

He also kind of binned Cooper and Hooper together and switched quotes back and forth between Hooper and Cooper so that it was easy to misread what Cooper said as applying to Hooper. 

I dunno, Hooper could be negative about it, but the article left it more ambiguous to me.  It seemed fairly clear that Graham was trying to tell a "pro bowl players/FA are still negative about Buffalo" story.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, 2003Contenders said:

Given that his family lives (and apparently wants to stay) in Carolina, I would imagine his geographic preference would be Washington. That being the case, Seattle would seem to be his least inviting option.

He might do as a lot of players do and buy a house/move his family up during the season.  He mentioned in one quote "seeing what each place has to offer his family" which sounded as though Charlotte might remain his permanent home, but he was planning to bring his family with him.

Charlotte to Buffalo is a 45 minute longer commercial flight than Charlotte to Dulles (2 hrs vs 1 hr 20 minutes), but by the time typical traffic to and from the airport, security lines, terminal size, and frequency of ground delays are factored in, that's probably not significant.

1 hour ago, DJB said:

Amari Cooper definitely did - though it was more  about cold weather cites in general 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Graham strongly implied that.  Without providing specifics, Graham wrote " three of the most prominent players in the 2020 free-agent class — receiver Amari Cooper, tight end Austin Hooper and edge rusher Shaquil Barrett — also were frosty about the idea of Buffalo."

He also kind of binned Cooper and Hooper together and switched quotes back and forth between Hooper and Cooper so that it was easy to misread what Cooper said as applying to Hooper. 

I dunno, Hooper could be negative about it, but the article left it more ambiguous to me.  It seemed fairly clear that Graham was trying to tell a "pro bowl players/FA are still negative about Buffalo" story.

Hooper’s lone quote wasn’t negative on its face, so I’m not sure if he gave off some kind of vibe that led Graham to lob him into this group or not. But either way he seems to have chosen his words much more carefully than Cooper, which was probably smart given he’s a FA and being asked about a playoff team with a need to upgrade at his position and 80 mill to play with. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Amari was the location location location guy; not Hooper

11 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Hooper’s lone quote wasn’t negative on its face, so I’m not sure if he gave off some kind of vibe that led Graham to lob him into this group or not. But either way he seems to have chosen his words much more carefully than Cooper, which was probably smart given he’s a FA and being asked about a playoff team with a need to upgrade at his position and 80 mill to play with. 

All things being equal, even our home attendance in cold weather games is not the best - there is nothing wrong with a guy who would like a bit more temperate climate; as most people will.Hooper is at a point in his career where  he deserves to be paid and hasn't had that contract yet; whereas Cooper is more in tune with location, location location instead of an extra million or 2. It is ok for players to have preferences