Greg Olsen visiting Bills, Redskins, Seahawks

FluffHead

4 hours ago, stony said:

Croom might have a minority ownership stake in the team one day.  Wouldn't be surprised if he sticks around for another season.  

Croom is a horrible TE, I doubt he even gets picked up by another team if we drop him. He can’t block, he can’t run routes, he has ball security issues, his hands are questionable. If she wants to keep him on the bills pay roll put him in a cubicle somewhere and pay him 900,000 a year but just keep him away from the football field

18 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Meh...5 years ago this would be pretty exciting. 

True but i think he is perfect fit. Gives us vet leadership we are losing with Gore. And allows Knox to get one more year under his belt to develop before we hand the reigns off to him.

12 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

It's born from an agenda.  

This guy once said that maybe the reason the Bills aren't getting as much negative coverage from the local writers is because Pegula might have threatened them.  

oh i remember.  i don't know why people go so far out of the way to find negatives.  it's not a finished product, but i'm happy with where this team is going.

Olson was just interviewed one the Clt Midday Wilson and Parcel show.

Of interest:

- Wants to stay in Clt 

- Visits are fact finding. He wants to make sure there isn’t a great opportunity for him before he steps away. Didn’t state specific things he was looking for.

- Had a “ Tricky” foot injury which was the only injury in a 13 year career. This fact and being 5 th all time in yards and receptions where points of pride for him.

He didn’t say it but he insinuated that he still has gas in the tank and sounds like he definitely has seasons left in him.

Can’t find a link. Supposedly on Radio.com app.

45 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

You don't have to wonder.  If McDermott really felt like this, we wouldn't have drafted Oliver.  A guy who already challenged his college head coach and has big personality.  

Ed Oliver has zero leverage as a guy entering the second year of a four year contract.  He's also not elite - yet. 

Tre White is the first McD selected player who will be up for a contract extension.  I'm just interested in seeing how this franchise approaches those situations.

Just now, BillsVet said:

Ed Oliver has zero leverage as a guy entering the second year of a four year contract.  He's also not elite - yet. 

Tre White is the first McD selected player who will be up for a contract extension.  I'm just interested in seeing how this franchise approaches those situations.

is your though that since tre is more of an elite talent, mcd won't sign him because he can't handle him?

6 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

We invested a top 10 pick on the guy.  If McDermott really felt uncomfortable with a guy challenging him now or down the road, we don't draft him.  We would have taken someone else.  Unless you're under the mindset that they drafted him not wanting him to be elite or plan on NOT extending him once he gets to the elite level.  Does this make sense now?

8 minutes ago, teef said:

is your though that since tre is more of an elite talent, mcd won't sign him because he can't handle him?

I think the thought process is to "grasp at straws to keep the agenda going".

Edited by Royale with Cheese
  • Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Depending on the cost I would love Olson

2 TE' sets are the way to go

After Daboll went up in the box during games, they seemingly went away from 2 TE sets. Smith only had one game the 2nd half of the season where he played over 30% of the snaps. If they do move on from Smith it could be a sign of where the offense is headed. If they keep him I think we see a return to a run heavy offense.

3 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think the thought process is to "grasp at straws to keep the agenda going".

i think some like to turn the letting dareus and watkins go as a sign that mcd can't deal with strong personalities, which is nonsense.  those two showed me that they have anything but a strong personality.  they were guys that had obvious work ethic issues, and that was the exact culture the staff is trying to reverse.  

people may not agree with the move, but turning it into a mcd can't handle it scenario is just foolish.

6 minutes ago, teef said:

i think some like to turn the letting dareus and watkins go as a sign that mcd can't deal with strong personalities, which is nonsense.  those two showed me that they have anything but a strong personality.  they were guys that had obvious work ethic issues, and that was the exact culture the staff is trying to reverse.  

people may not agree with the move, but turning it into a mcd can't handle it scenario is just foolish.

To me it's obvious, both Dareus and Watkins were "me first" players and that's what got them traded.  

Jerry Hughes has a strong personality and McDermott extends him.  Why?  Because he plays hard.

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

according to Spotrac, he’d be a cheaper option than Kroft currently. 
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/carolina-panthers/greg-olsen-1302/market-value/

Then I stand corrected. I was thinking given he had a decent year last year and his name plus being a pro’s pro, he would command $6-8 a year. Less than $5 and it’s a no brainer. Structure the deal similar to Kroft’s now, get out after a year if need too.

3 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Non-starter right there. He isnt worth it. Maybe 5, even 3 years ago. But not now.

He'd have to be willing to take Smith money ($3M/year) if I were GM. I hope Beane doesnt make yet another salary mistake with a "Carolina Process Guy".

I hear ya. Sounds like I might of been a little high on my projections. If they structure the deal so it’s an easy out in a year, I wouldn’t think $4-5 mil a year is crazy. 3 years and then done so Knox and Sweeney take over?

14 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

To me it's obvious, both Dareus and Watkins were "me first" players and that's what got them traded.  

Jerry Hughes has a strong personality and McDermott extends him.  Why?  Because he plays hard.

Or maybe "me first" is just hyperbole used as an excuse.

Remember when Stephon Gilmore was making "business decisions" in Buffalo so good riddance to him and now he has a ring, 2 SB appearances and an NFL Defensive Player of the Year award and is 6-0 in games against Buffalo?

In hindsight NONE of those 5 losses of first and second round picks(Gilmore, Woods, Watkins, Darby, Dareus) of Whaley/Nix in 2017 were "good" moves unless you use the vague rationale that they were bad guys...........which is entirely subjective and didn't prevent 4 of them from starting in SB's and 3 of them getting rings on separate teams in 3 years.

You can't get any more efficient than 3 rings in 3 years.

Dareus is the only debatable one and that's because they had to eat his dead money either way.......his base salaries weren't that bad in 2018 and 2019......... and his departure collapsed the Bills run defense in 2017 and that lead to the awful Star Lotulelei contract double down at DT.   

What it all proves is.........as Belichick says...........you gotta' be making dumb moves constantly to not be competitive.  

McBeane have made some good moves as well and that's why they are 50-50 in their first 100 games in Buffalo.

39 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Please tell me that you’re not insinuating that Sammy Watkins—who put up the best half-season of WR play this century on a foot with a Jones’ Fracture—doesn’t play hard.

19 hours ago, FluffHead said:

@AdamSchefter: Former Panthers’ TE Greg Olsen will visit the Bills and Redskins this week, per source. Buffalo’s GM Brandon Beane used to be with Carolinas, as did Washington’s HC Ron Rivera.

Would be a smart signing for Knox and can cut Kroft 

3 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Or maybe "me first" is just hyperbole used as an excuse.

Remember when Stephon Gilmore was making "business decisions" in Buffalo so good riddance to him and now he has a ring, 2 SB appearances and an NFL Defensive Player of the Year award and is 6-0 in games against Buffalo?

In hindsight NONE of those 5 losses of first and second round picks(Gilmore, Woods, Watkins, Darby, Dareus) of Whaley/Nix in 2017 were "good" moves unless you use the vague rationale that they were bad guys...........which is entirely subjective and didn't prevent 4 of them from starting in SB's and 3 of them getting rings on separate teams in 3 years.

You can't get any more efficient than 3 rings in 3 years.

Dareus is the only debatable one and that's because they had to eat his dead money either way.......his base salaries weren't that bad in 2018 and 2019......... and his departure collapsed the Bills run defense in 2017 and that lead to the awful Star Lotulelei contract double down at DT.   

What it all proves is.........as Belichick says...........you gotta' be making dumb moves constantly to not be competitive.  

McBeane have made some good moves as well and that's why they are 50-50 in their first 100 games in Buffalo.

I don't think Woods was ever know as a bad guy.  He was pretty much respected in Buffalo.  He's from California and he went back to there.  He was a FA.

Gilmore was unfairly roasted on these boards but I always liked him.  I'm not sure why he's being brought up in this discussion.

Watkins admitted he rubbed teammates the wrong way and was a stats guy....that's a "me" person that McDermott didn't want.

Dareus was constantly in trouble, making almost $100 million to be a run stuffer?  A guy that you don't know if he's going to be relied on during the season since he was one more drug suspension away from what...8 games?  10?  

We've been competitive in 2 out of the last 3 years.  

11 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Please tell me that you’re not insinuating that Sammy Watkins—who put up the best half-season of WR play this century on a foot with a Jones’ Fracture—doesn’t play hard.

I was referring more towards Dareus not playing hard and Sammy being a "me first" type of guy.

7 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I don't think Woods was ever know as a bad guy.  He was pretty much respected in Buffalo.  He's from California and he went back to there.  He was a FA.

Gilmore was unfairly roasted on these boards but I always liked him.  I'm not sure why he's being brought up in this discussion.

Watkins admitted he rubbed teammates the wrong way and was a stats guy....that's a "me" person that McDermott didn't want.

Dareus was constantly in trouble, making almost $100 million to be a run stuffer?  A guy that you don't know if he's going to be relied on during the season since he was one more drug suspension away from what...8 games?  10?  

We've been competitive in 2 out of the last 3 years.  

I was referring more towards Dareus not playing hard and Sammy being a "me first" type of guy.

Very good. That just seemed way out there.