Greg Olsen visiting Bills, Redskins, Seahawks

FluffHead

13 hours ago, elijah said:

The hopes on Sweeney are too high here.  He was a 7th rounder that flashed a little bit, he’s not someone to count on becoming a legitimate option. 

So Sweeney flashed a bit more than "a little".  In the "show us what you got" game vs the Jets, he was 5 of 5 for 76 yds (he wasn't playing the Jets backup defense).  The knock on him coming out was that he was productive in college, but too slow to separate in the NFL and needed to bulk-up and work on technique - more leg bend - to be a blocker (I'm not sure I understand this given his listed weight and height but there it is)

Beane has said it was an argument and a close call as to whether Sweeney should be active, every week.  The counter point to that is maybe it says less positive about Sweeney, than it does negative about Kroft.   In the same Jets game where Sweeney was 5 of 5 for 76 yds, Kroft was 1 of 4 for 5 yds (and he played almost 50% of the snaps). 

The thing about Sweeney is he isn't playing ST - at all.  Kroft does.  If Sweeney wants to stick on a roster, he's got to either become a legit starting threat, or figure out how to play teams.

27 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If Croom sticks around and it isn't immediately evident that he's better than someone they cut, We Have A Problem.

I can't go as far as "fantastic" but I wouldn't hate it

He's not "fat Kelvin" but he is old, and has struggled with injuries.

Olsen had 52 catches for 597 yards last season 11.5 YPC.  For reference, Smokey had 14.7 YPC.  Huge for offense, Josh, and Knox

Olsen helps offset losing Lorax and Gore in locker room.

Olsen fills a need pre FA, and will financially shrewd, Beanes MO is value signings

I'm hoping Olsen doesn't leave town, we sign him before anyone else does.

Olsen would be fantastic signing IMO

• Like (+1) 1

We've seen the Pats do this with great success for many years - find an over-the-hill vet with tremendous knowledge and experience in the game. This type of player usually comes on the cheap, can mentally execute anything you ask him to do, and can teach young players important things. Good idea if you ask me.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, CheshireCT said:

We've seen the Pats do this with great success for many years - find an over-the-hill vet with tremendous knowledge and experience in the game. This type of player usually comes on the cheap, can mentally execute anything you ask him to do, and can teach young players important things. Good idea if you ask me.

Whatever he could do to convince Josh to not try and lateral the ball haphazardly in a playoff game, I'm all for. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

This would be all about helping to develop Knox (and Sweeney to a lesser extent).

I wonder if they’d keep Smith for blocking; I think Kroft is a goner either way. Curious if they’ll IR Croom again for obvious reasons...

Lol. Employment for life, as long as she's satisfied.

I think Smith is gone if we sign Olsen.

56 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If Croom sticks around and it isn't immediately evident that he's better than someone they cut, We Have A Problem.

I mostly kid, just interesting he survived when the team signed two veterans in FA and drafted two more.  

6 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

As others have said, Kroft would be the player and contract replaced by Olsen. Olsen is going to command even more than Kroft, but a lot more than Smith.

Also Smith and Olsen don’t have the same skill set at TE. Olsens skill set is closer to Kroft.

If Beane and the trainers think he is good to go, I like the move. I think Olsen would fit right in with the culture the Bills have and would provide another vet leader.

17 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

Smith and Olsen may technically play the same position but they don’t play the same role in the offense. If Smith is cut, it won’t have anything to do with Olsen other than whether they think they replaced the “vet leader” in the TE room.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

As others have said, Kroft would be the player and contract replaced by Olsen. Olsen is going to command even more than Kroft, but a lot more than Smith.

Also Smith and Olsen don’t have the same skill set at TE. Olsens skill set is closer to Kroft.

If Beane and the trainers think he is good to go, I like the move. I think Olsen would fit right in with the culture the Bills have and would provide another vet leader.

Non-starter right there. He isnt worth it. Maybe 5, even 3 years ago. But not now.

He'd have to be willing to take Smith money ($3M/year) if I were GM. I hope Beane doesnt make yet another salary mistake with a "Carolina Process Guy".

10 minutes ago, stony said:

I mostly kid, just interesting he survived when the team signed two veterans in FA and drafted two more.  

Well, they did IR him.  They can't cut him - they could have negotiated an injury settlement and release.

One would have to know the details of the injury and what the typical injury settlement for that would be, to know more. 

It was listed as a "hamstring" which can cover a wide range of severities and recovery times depending upon grade and location.

32 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

Whatever he could do to convince Josh to not try and lateral the ball haphazardly in a playoff game, I'm all for. 

Josh typically doesn't seem to make the same mistake twice.

That's not entirely comforting because he does seem to be a bit of a "don't eat the Daisies" guy where he seems to try different things his coaches don't warn him against - because they're so far outside the realm of normal football.

18 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

according to Spotrac, he’d be a cheaper option than Kroft currently. 
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/carolina-panthers/greg-olsen-1302/market-value/

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Smith and Olsen may technically play the same position but they don’t play the same role in the offense. If Smith is cut, it won’t have anything to do with Olsen other than whether they think they replaced the “vet leader” in the TE room.

Am I crazy to think that both Smith and Croft are gone and replaced by Olsen "vet leader" and another FA TE? That coupled with Knox and Sweeney gives the Bills a nice full stable in the modern NFL of multiple TE looks. Or is my dislike for "I'm a good blocker on one play, and the next play I brain fart a false start, or they actually call the holds I've been committing the whole game the next play."-Lee Smith

14 hours ago, Steptide said:

If I was him on the backside of my career, I'd personally choose buffalo. A playoff team on the rise vs a redskins team that could be 2 years away from competing 

If he has the option between one of these two teams, they are an absolute dichotomy of managing  player injuries. I can’t imagine any player who is dealing with an injury or is at the end of his career wanting to go to Washington, even with the love and respect he may have for Rivera. After I read the story about Trent Williams I was in disbelief.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

Am I crazy to think that both Smith and Croft are gone and replaced by Olsen "vet leader" and another FA TE? That coupled with Knox and Sweeney gives the Bills a nice full stable in the modern NFL of multiple TE looks. Or is my dislike for "I'm a good blocker on one play, and the next play I brain fart a false start, or they actually call the holds I've been committing the whole game the next play."-Lee Smith

Crazy? Ill show ya crazy.....jk. No, I see this as a very realistic possibility.

• Like (+1) 1