Greg Olsen visiting Bills, Redskins, Seahawks

FluffHead

Not that Beane is asking me, but I'm fine with Olsen as a Vet TE to help school and support the young TEs on this roster - I think it's a great idea and not one that they were able to take advantage of with Kroft on IR most of the season. However, I hope that the Bills go into this knowing what they're getting and reason they're getting it: play some, tutor / mentor even more. Knox had serious drop issues, but you also saw the real advantage to having him as a pass catching option at times in the season. Knox can be a very good TE, but needs some support and guidance from a guy like Olsen. And let's not overlook Sweeney - I really think he can also be a versatile in-line blocker and decent pass catcher for the Bills. 

Olsen as a receiving threat in a two TE set with Knox or 3 TE set with Sweeney / Kroft is a good idea but I hope they realize you're not getting Olsen to duplicate his prime years, you're getting him to contribute some on the field, to help Josh in tough situations, but mostly to be a player-coach hybrid for the youth in that room, much like Gore to Motor. If that happens at a reasonable price, b/c we all know the Bills have a ton of Cap room, then I love this move if it were to happen. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

Not that Beane is asking me, but I'm fine with Olsen as a Vet TE to help school and support the young TEs on this roster - I think it's a great idea and not one that they were able to take advantage of with Kroft on IR most of the season. However, I hope that the Bills go into this knowing what they're getting and reason they're getting it: play some, tutor / mentor even more. Knox had serious drop issues, but you also saw the real advantage to having him as a pass catching option at times in the season. Knox can be a very good TE, but needs some support and guidance from a guy like Olsen. And let's not overlook Sweeney - I really think he can also be a versatile in-line blocker and decent pass catcher for the Bills. 

Olsen as a receiving threat in a two TE set with Knox or 3 TE set with Sweeney / Kroft is a good idea but I hope they realize you're not getting Olsen to duplicate his prime years, you're getting him to contribute some on the field, to help Josh in tough situations, but mostly to be a player-coach hybrid for the youth in that room, much like Gore to Motor. If that happens at a reasonable price, b/c we all know the Bills have a ton of Cap room, then I love this move if it were to happen. 

He caught 50 passes last year,he may have another 50 or so in the tank:)

5 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

At first glance I said no thanks. But I’ve changed my mind. Knox, Olsen, and Kroft would be a great trio. Cut Lee Smith and Sweeney. Carry an extra swing tackle.

So, you think it would be a good idea to have two injury prone TE's out of the three you want to keep?

13 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

This is great news.  I think this guy still has gas in the tank and he would be a fantastic mentor to Sweeney & Knox and security blanket for Allen.  Here's to hoping!

He's got enough gas in the tank to last about 4 games, and then he'll be put right back on the IR.  No thanks.  He's not the same player anymore.

I look at it this way.  Olsen had a bad year for him last year and it is better than any TE we have had in 20 years...

Pair him with knox for a year which doesnt kill 2021 cap and hes just like any other vet signing this team likes to make.  Vet that can contribute but nothing long term as we add via draft.  

Hes perfect. 

2 hours ago, njbuff said:

I think the Bills are really counting on Knox's development and they would want Olsen here to help his development.

I think an "almost done"  Olsen on this roster is better than Lee Smith in his prime. In other words, Olsen over Smith all day ever day. Even at this point in Olsen's career.

Do folks realize that Olsen had 58 receptions last year?

Our TE group combined for 46 ?

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, nucci said:

everyone always throws around leadership, mentor with a veteran player....how do you all know this about Olsen or are you assuming? Olsen was a great player....the foot injuries are concerning

He has no choice but to mentor even if he doesn’t want to. Even if he’s unwilling to teach, just the guys seeing him in practice and the film room will learn things. Lead by example kinda thing. The injuries are of course a concern but we wouldn’t be asking him to play a ton of snaps. Signing him is a win win situation. His contract won’t be long or hindering, even if/when he gets hurt you still have Knox and Sweeney. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

As long as Kroft, Smith and Croom are gone its addition by subtraction.

Croom might have a minority ownership stake in the team one day.  Wouldn't be surprised if he sticks around for another season.  

3 hours ago, njbuff said:

I think an "almost done"  Olsen on this roster is better than Lee Smith in his prime. In other words, Olsen over Smith all day ever day. Even at this point in Olsen's career.

Olsen wouldn't replace Smith, he would replace Kroft. I think Smith will be on the team next year. He plays an important rule in our run game.

6 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

At first glance I said no thanks. But I’ve changed my mind. Knox, Olsen, and Kroft would be a great trio. Cut Lee Smith and Sweeney. Carry an extra swing tackle.

I wouldn’t cut Sweeney.  He has looked good every chance he has gotten.  He was a steal and has a bright future.

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

Olsen wouldn't replace Smith, he would replace Kroft. I think Smith will be on the team next year. He plays an important rule in our run game.

So if we sign Olsen, we are probably set at TE, don't you think?  Olsen, Knox, Smith, Sweeney

BTW Olsen would be a fantastic signing IMO

53 minutes ago, stony said:

Croom might have a minority ownership stake in the team one day.  Wouldn't be surprised if he sticks around for another season.  

If Croom sticks around and it isn't immediately evident that he's better than someone they cut, We Have A Problem.

31 minutes ago, Pete said:

So if we sign Olsen, we are probably set at TE, don't you think?  Olsen, Knox, Smith, Sweeney

BTW Olsen would be a fantastic signing IMO

I can't go as far as "fantastic" but I wouldn't hate it

He's not "fat Kelvin" but he is old, and has struggled with injuries.

33 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Smith plays an important role in our pass protection game too.

The problem with Smith is that despite being used to run routes on occasion, he is not a route running/pass catching threat.

So when he's on the field, it's pretty much a tell that he's going to be blocking (unless Daboll sends him deep on a route, at which point he's not the best player for it)