Greg Olsen visiting Bills, Redskins, Seahawks

FluffHead

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

I love Knox.  I hate that he drops too many passes, but I haven't given up on him.  I just don't see the need to bring in a veteran - especially one who is in the last year or two of his career - to mentor him.  

That clearly didn't work last year. 

I also like Sweeney.  He should have been getting the playing time that the worthless piece of ***** Kroft got.

If McD and Beane still believe in Knox, then just keep him and Sweeney.  And don't forget about Jason Pegula.  He'll be back.

It wouldn't really be a bad thing to have Knox, Olsen AND Sweeney.

As to your earlier statement, Knox could be the next great TE if he can consistently catch the football.

But ya know what... let's try and see if an offseason helps him get more comfortable doing that.

Dawson Knox only caught 39 passes in college. He was a raw physical specimen when we drafted him, much like our QB.

I really can't wait to see the Josh to Knox connection develop next year.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Green Lightning said:

He played 14 games last year, 52 catches and almost 600 yards, more than our TEs  combined. Knox had 28 for 322 in 15 games. Sweeney 8 for 119 and penalty machine Lee Smith 4 for 31, Kroft 11 for 71. And he did that without Cam Newton. I think it's a solid move if we get rid of Croft and Smith.

Knox was also a rookie who played QB in high school and despite his athletic ability, was used as a blocking tight end in college. 

He has the athletic package to be an elite tight end, he just needs Time to develop.

Makes a hell of a lot more sense than Lee Smith. You have a talented young TE in the mold of Greg himself. I would love to see Dswson split out. I think Olsens style would suit him well. Let's face it. We arent looking for our guy. Just a solid contributor who has been there before. As Cam Newton's top target for years who better to bring in to that TE room. I think he can improve Tommy Sweeney as well I'm all on board with this. 

1 hour ago, Mickey said:

What is the obsession with has-beens this off season? He hasn't had a decent year since 2016. The man has 13 years in the league. We need to build for the future rather than invest in what's left of the past. 

Olsen missed two games this past season and still had more receptions than all of the Bills TEs combined.  The guy will be an instant upgrade to our TE room before free agency even starts, and can be pro bowl vet presence for Knox/Sweeney.

• Like (+1) 2

There is no guarantee that Kroft will all of a sudden be able to catch passes reliably. There are younger and better models on the FA market than Olsen, Kroft & Smith. $10 million for a top TE who can catch passes is cheaper than a WR in FA; plus they are generally bigger targets as well. If, Knox does indeed develop of the next couple seasons, man it would really suck to have 2 great TEs. And don't give me Cap space nonsense, we have 23 players under contract in 2 years - we have the room and ability. Gimme 2 great TEs any day

• Like (+1) 1

I think the Bills are really counting on Knox's development and they would want Olsen here to help his development.

I think an "almost done"  Olsen on this roster is better than Lee Smith in his prime. In other words, Olsen over Smith all day ever day. Even at this point in Olsen's career.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, J-GunJoshAllen17 said:

We should really sign him and then one of Hooper or Henry.  Sick match up problems for other teams to deal with, Henry Olsen and Knox.  Then look for the #1 reciever in the draft.  

Good take and I wouldn’t be against it for the right price.  He may still have gas, but we need an option we can get out of after a year if we do a two year deal in case he has lost it.  I agree on one of the other two TE’s, but would cut Sweeney, Smith, and Kroft to off set a small amt. of the price of these two.  If we are going to spend some money in free agency, TE’s even top ones are more affordable than pass rushers or WR’s.  That would have to be a draft priority as well as a battering ram RB.  

It would be $ we’ll spent as we would upgrade all of the weapons as stated above.  With Brown and Beasley, and Roberts for ST, we would have a much improved offense, and would then be the real test if Daboll is a deep playoff play caller and Allen is really the man.  I believe at this point in both, but this would cement whether we have the right two people.  If we don’t we go back to the drawing board  at QB after Allen’s 4 year contract.  Anyway, that’s my two cents.

5 hours ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Olsen missed two games this past season and still had more receptions than all of the Bills TEs combined.  The guy will be an instant upgrade to our TE room before free agency even starts, and can be pro bowl vet presence for Knox/Sweeney.

And the year before that he played in only 9 games and before that, 7. I think we can do a lot better than an oft injured, geriatric has-been on the way to his last rodeo. This team isn't about flashy, instant upgrades, it's about long term investment in players that can help us win today, tomorrow and beyond. There are better, younger TE's available in the draft and on the FA market than a guy whose main attraction is that he was a top fantasy performer four years ago. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

You’re not getting 16 games from Olsen, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing given knoxs ability and possible growth. He’s going to be a second option possibly here. He’d be the guy in Washington though. I’m not against signing him if they’re going to use him in the pass game. They didn’t use Kroft or make him a part of the offense, no point signing a similar player (obviously a long track record of success) if they’re not going to use him. 
I do find it a little funny we have this many posters excited to sign Olsen and so many against AJ Green. Same kind of situation as both are injury prone, on their last contracts that wouldn’t be long ones or ridiculous money. If I’m drafting a rookie receiver I don’t think there’s many in the league I would pick to show them how it’s done over green. Same for Knox, you want someone to show him how a tight end practices and makes plays in the pass game not many I would pick over Olsen to show him the ropes. 

nice point.  If you sign Olsen, might as well go get Green as well, to go with the 9 drafted guys and all the youngsters in the locker room.   With Zo and Gore probably both gone, need some guidance and maturity in the room. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mickey said:

And the year before that he played in only 9 games and before that, 7. I think we can do a lot better than an oft injured, geriatric has-been on the way to his last rodeo. This team isn't about flashy, instant upgrades, it's about long term investment in players that can help us win today, tomorrow and beyond. There are better, younger TE's available in the draft and on the FA market than a guy whose main attraction is that he was a top fantasy performer four years ago. 

There’s no guarantee the Bills are going to be able to sign Hooper when FA starts.  Yes Olsen has injury concerns and is in end stages of his career, but Kroft has played a total of 16 games in the past two years with only 12 catches, so Bills are paying him almost $1M per catch.  If they can sign Olsen now, it’s instant upgrade to TE room and I say makes Kroft expendable.

helps fill in leadship role with Lorax and Gore gone, at a position of need.   Josh and Knox could learn a ton from Olsen, he won't break the bank.  Olson will help this offense out,especially when we upgrade WR group

Edited by Pete

12 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Meh...5 years ago this would be pretty exciting. 

It still is:)

Knox and Sweeney take a huge step forward with this guy as their mentor for a year.

Plus Josh gets a sure handed veteran TE he can count on to run the right route and catch the ball at the end of it :)

With 59 career TD`s he is a huge redzone weapon :)