Greg Olsen visiting Bills, Redskins, Seahawks

FluffHead

1 hour ago, ngbills said:

What is this guys market value? Looks like it may be in the $5M per range. I'm for it only if is a mentor for Knox and we still are look at Hooper or Henry. Hooper, Knox, Olsen, Sweeney/Croom/Smith. 

How much money do you think they intend to spend on tight ends?  People need to get over Hooper and Henry, Knox was a third round pick for Gods sake.

• Like (+1) 2

41 minutes ago, elijah said:

Give me Olsen/Henry/Ebron on a short term deal and draft another TE somewhere between 3rd-5th round.  Olsen/Henry/Ebron give you the short term, cheap option to bridge the position while Knox and the future rookie continue to develop. 

We could have had Ebron for free in the 2014 draft, but instead, we moved up to take Sammy. Sigh...

1 hour ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Hooper probably will be the highest paid TE by the time FA ends.  I can’t see the Bills spending that kind of money on a tight end.

Olsen fits the profile of the player they are looking for.

Article in the Athletic the other day about the Bills TE's.  Talked about bringing in Olson, but thought it only makes sense as long as it doesn't in any way slow down Knox's development.  He acknowledged the drops but also talked about how few TE's in the league have the over all skill set Knox provides, also stated Knox is ranked 3rd in the league in yards after the catch for TE's.   Also stated highly unlikely the Bills would go after any TE for more than a one year deal so that leaves out the Hooper's of the world.

Dawson Knox is the future at the position. Bring in Olsen, restrict his snaps and have him mentor the kid and bring out his full potential. Motor is still training with Gore in the offseason, anyone upset about that? Kroft has brought nothing to the team. 

• Like (+1) 1

Olsen's 2019 highlights for perspective. Not real fast anymore (if he ever was), but can still get separation, find holes in the defensive coverage, and make contested catches. The only thing I noticed is that he goes down pretty quickly/easily at first contact, but as an older guy, can't blame him, he's protecting his body. But, I don't really hold it against him, as most of his catches were in the 10-20 yard range, so he's picking up first downs. I think he and Knox would be a nice one-two at TE and as others have said, the leadership and mentorship he would bring for Knox, Sweeney, Josh, and the offense in general could be big.

Edited by folz

I don’t understand why everyone is freaking out. Individuals on this board need to understand how to judge interest in players individually.

Greg Olsen would be a fine signing.

He is not going to break the bank. He is not going to command a long term deal. He is not the only offensive addition we will make this off-season. 

I understand the collective desire to get younger. Yes, it’s good to have young, cheap and talented players littered across your roster. It’s also good to have veteran talent. There needs to be a mix. 

We are allowed to carry 90 players on our roster for the off-season... why not carry the best combination of 90 players we can find that fit our organization and schemes? Everyone wants to “Cut Smith” or “Cut Kroft” if we sign Olsen (some even if we don’t). My lord, we have about $80M to spend and I can assure you all $80M will not be spent... so why cut players to save money? We have plenty. 

Stack the damn depth chart with NFL players. If we sign Olsen our TE room for camp is:

Olsen

Knox

Kroft

Smith

Sweeney

Croom

All 6 guys have played meaningful NFL snaps... that’s a good a thing to have those guys competing in camp. 

This board has a serious ***** for Hooper. NFL insiders don’t seem to have the same affinity for him, many seem to think he’s a product of the system. I don’t watch any Falcons games, and I’m wondering how many have here? Isn’t this the same guy who last week said he wants nothing to do with playing in Buffalo!

1 minute ago, wppete said:

Hope we sign him. This would be a great pick up. I have a feeling Lee Smith would be done if this happens. 

Id be ok with it.  Just wonder what the contract looks like.  My guess is somewhere between Delaine Walker at 8.5 and Vernon Davis at 5.  Split the differnce and account for the cap that puts you at 7.1/yr.   If you can get him for the Vernon contract great but when you start to talk about 7 or 8 id be out of it.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I doubt Beane will spend big bucks on the TE position.  This seems like the type of move that I anticipated.  Good mentor for Knox and Sweeney.

I thinks this is a courtesy visit.
They Krofty for mentorship. ..
They have Lee Smith for mentorship.

aaand Washington is taking a look.
  Great player , but time to move on.
Bills should go for it if a shot at Hooped comes free.

Henry is might nice as well
matter of fact? get Both.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

This is great news.  I think this guy still has gas in the tank and he would be a fantastic mentor to Sweeney & Knox and security blanket for Allen.  Here's to hoping!

Any reason you are leaning towards saying he does?

15 minutes ago, Codyny13 said:

This board has a serious ***** for Hooper. NFL insiders don’t seem to have the same affinity for him, many seem to think he’s a product of the system. I don’t watch any Falcons games, and I’m wondering how many have here? Isn’t this the same guy who last week said he wants nothing to do with playing in Buffalo!

I’ll take Henry then.  Two legit no 1 TE’s in Henry and Knox. 

51 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Also, with his past love affair with Cam, and the fact Josh gets most compared to Cam, it seems a good fit.

just not feeling any of this.
 he 35 and a TE. dude has been hit by trains

the Old timey ones with cow catchers

1 minute ago, RyanC883 said:

I’ll take Henry then.  Two legit no 1 TE’s in Henry and Knox. 

i am listening. Put some one like him in the room with Knox and Allen ?
that's a good future state.

• Like (+1) 1