Reid and Mahomes acknowledge impact of Alex Smith

35 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If he's cleared to play football, he is not a FA; he is under contract to Washington, and Rivera has said he will compete for their QB job.

Lmao...if he is cleared by a doctor they should have their medical license revoked.

1 hour ago, formerlyofCtown said:

You don’t know that.

Josh Allen is our QB and I’m glad he is.  Enough of the nonsense.  If it matters that much then go get you a red jersey.

I have a Josh Allen jersey, do you?  

I'm just saying that in his 3rd season Mahomes is more advanced than Josh was in his 2nd.  That's a fact.  It doesn't mean Josh won't win the Super Bowl after his 3rd season.  

So, if you haven't already bought your Allen jersey, you better go out & buy one already, otherwise stop telling fans who already have one to buy a KC one when they state the fact that at this point Mahomes is better.  

It’s wild how some people try to discredit Mahomes.  Andy Reid had a playoff team with Alex Smith (a guy who didn’t throw a td pass to a receiver for an entire season).  Instead of trying to fill out the roster with a player that could help him, he traded up for Mahomes because that’s how good he thought he was.  He is an Offside away from potentially winning 2 SBs in his first 2 years as a starter.  He is a generational qb.

Allen wasn’t even dominant in the MWC so it’s pretty silly to pretend like he would come close to doing what Mahomes is doing.  He carries a garbage defense (they played better in the 2nd half but aren’t close to the Bills).  Could Allen be a franchise guy? Of course.  But it’s like comparing prime Brady to Ryan Tannehill at this point.  Mahomes is off to the greatest start of any qb on nfl history. 

14 hours ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

I mean it's not necessarily true that if Allen doesn't take a giant leap forward that he wont amount to anything. Ben Roethlisberger regressed bad in his 3rd year after game managing the first 2, it wasn't until year 4 where he truly became Big Ben. Andy Reid is a hell of a teacher for QB's especially and always surrounds himself with great coaches. I'm not sure if Daboll is the right coach to tudor Josh Allen, his play calling is very bland imo.

I never liked the hire of Daboll. Very uninspired. I was asking for Kingsbury last off-season.  But I think it’s very fair to question this regimes ability to make offensive decisions. 

19 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The statement to which I was responding was " Even without Alex Smith Mahomes would be the exact guy he is now. "

Mahomes had a great college career.  He was also the QB of an "Air Raid" offense, an offense whose QBs have had a poor track record transitioning to the pros.  There was criticism of his footwork and mechanics.  He was passed over 9x including by a team who drafted a QB #2 that year and by 6 other teams drafting in the top 9 who made QB changes in 2018 or 2019 (drafting #1-#9).

Because Alex Smith was playing at a very high level and had taken the team to the playoffs the previous year (and again 2017), Mahomes had the opportunity to sit behind an established starter for 15 games, learn the very same pro offense he would be asked to run, learn how to read a pro defense and react to a blitz, work on any QB improvement checklist the Chiefs may have given him for mechanics, footwork etc. and learn how to prepare - all entirely free of any external pressure or attention or criticism...

To say that Mahomes would have come to the Chiefs off his air raid offense and been exactly the same player without the above opportunities is, indeed, a dogmatic assertion.

I generally agree with this.  Learning from Smith helped him.  At the same time, Mahomes in his first start as a rookie passed for more yards than Allen has in his career.  In the SB in what was considered a bad game by him, he passed for more yards than Allen has in any game against the #1 defense.  

Mahomes is just a much better qb than Allen.  He’s special and would have been good anywhere.  

22 hours ago, njbuff said:

Tyrod was so bad in 2017 that the Bills thrust Nathan Peterman out there.

Which means a talented kid like Mahomes would have been starting the 3rd or 4th week of the season when he wasn't ready and would have gotten killed on the Bills 2017 offense.

Mahomes would have been playing in 2017 and his career would be hanging on by a thread right now.

No Kelce's, no Hill's, no Hunts (when Mahomes first started) on that 2017 Bills team.

The prices nothing except how much McDermott struggles with evaluating offense.  He literally benched a serviceable qb for a guy who has had one of the worst careers in nfl history.  It was an unbelievably dumb decision. 

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I generally agree with this.  Learning from Smith helped him.  At the same time, Mahomes in his first start as a rookie passed for more yards than Allen has in his career.  In the SB in what was considered a bad game by him, he passed for more yards than Allen has in any game against the #1 defense.   Mahomes is just a much better qb than Allen.  He’s special and would have been good anywhere.  

Not a lot I can disagree with here.  I agree Mahomes would be good anywhere - how good how quickly would vary with supporting cast, coaching, the time he got to learn the NFL game before starting etc.

For that last reason, I think comparison by passing yards isn't too meaningful.  Consider that during Mahomes first start, he had the same cast that Alex Smith had just had a career year for passing yards with (and not close).  And Smith was a career 180 ypg average guy who immediately took a jump when he started playing for Reid and the Chiefs.

The prices nothing except how much McDermott struggles with evaluating offense.  He literally benched a serviceable qb for a guy who has had one of the worst careers in nfl history.  It was an unbelievably dumb decision. 

I can't argue with this either.  The best I can say about McDermott and Beane's player personnel and offensive decisions their first two years is that they *seem* to have done better last year - we'll see if their guys like Knox, Motor, and Ford continue to develop, and how they do with further additions this year.

The decisions that were made to deplete the offensive talent ahead of drafting a rookie QB were mind-blowingly head-shakingly.....strange, I'll stop there.

People who claimed to know at the time said that Dennison had a lot to do with the decision to bench Tyrod and start Peterman - that he banged on the desk and pushed the issue with McDermott.  Which would explain why he got the heave after the season if true, "making boss look like a fool in public" being a known CLM. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

Disagree.  

Look at how much allen advanced when we brought in DA.  And DA is not near the cerebral QB that alex smith is. Tyrod is not that same guy.  He cannot read defenses and relies on athleticism.  

Allen didn't advance at all b.c of DA lol

He did it b.c of his work ethic... You could say he got better when DA was let go this year if you want to try that lol.

The truth remains Mahomes would always be just as good. 

13 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yeah, fans know way better than Andy Reid or Mahomes himself.

There's no reason to think you're right about that. He had the whole year to concentrate more on putting together the mechanics and understanding of defenses that he needed to. He didn't have to worry about week-to-week game-planning.

When you saw videos of the practices that year, you'd see him again and again ten yards behind Smith, mirroring every step on that rep and going through progressions trying to see what Smith saw and why he did what he did. Having that year was huge, and having it behind a smart guy like Smith made it even more valuable.

Reid is a guy known for developing QBs. Him and McCarthy are among the absolute best in the game for developing a QB. That year was valuable for him, very valuable.

Lol these guys always say nice things like that come on people stop being so gullible.

Edited by Boca BIlls

23 hours ago, Boca BIlls said:

Even without Alex Smith Mahomes would be the exact guy he is now.

9 minutes ago, Boca BIlls said:

The truth remains Mahomes would always be just as good.

As I said:

23 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

As discussed in previous threads, this is something that is not subject to proof - we don't get a "do over" or the chance to put Mahomes into a different situation.

Therefore, it's essentially at the level of religious belief or dogma

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

As I said:

Well saying you think it did is the exact same thing. Maybe throwing to TEs lol. But truth remains if you are just that good it doesn't matter who was around you.

Edited by Boca BIlls
  • Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I agree with this, at this point, certainly.  But IMO he would look a whole lot better than he does here and now.

No doubt he'd have had MUCH better success in KC than he's had in Buffalo. But if we're being honest, he's just NOT on Mahomes level as a QB independent of supporting cast/coaching staff. Not right now anyways. 

• Thank you (+1) 1