Reid and Mahomes acknowledge impact of Alex Smith

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/01/29/before-patrick-mahomes-became-superstar-he-followed-blueprint-set-by-alex-smith/

“Alex Smith was great for Patrick,” Chiefs Coach Andy Reid said. “Alex Smith is a great person and a great player. I wish I would have had him when he was young. I got him when he was a little bit older.”

“I attribute a lot of my early success to Alex, the way he was able to be a pro every single day and the way he was able to go about not only being a great football player but a great human being,” Mahomes said. “It showed me a ton. I learned a lot about how to read coverages and blitzes from him. He gave me a blueprint of how to go about a week and preparing yourself. It showed me how to have success at an early point in my career that I don’t think I would have gotten anywhere else.”

• Like (+1) 8

10 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/01/29/before-patrick-mahomes-became-superstar-he-followed-blueprint-set-by-alex-smith/

“Alex Smith was great for Patrick,” Chiefs Coach Andy Reid said. “Alex Smith is a great person and a great player. I wish I would have had him when he was young. I got him when he was a little bit older.”

“I attribute a lot of my early success to Alex, the way he was able to be a pro every single day and the way he was able to go about not only being a great football player but a great human being,” Mahomes said. “It showed me a ton. I learned a lot about how to read coverages and blitzes from him. He gave me a blueprint of how to go about a week and preparing yourself. It showed me how to have success at an early point in my career that I don’t think I would have gotten anywhere else.”

Man, if only there was a journeyman professional QB that Mahomes could have learned from on the Bills. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

Would it be crazy to maybe see if Smith is available to come in and compete for backup QB with Barkley? I know he had that bad injury, and I believe he has a big contract number with Washington, but in the chance that they cut him... 

If we were to bring him in and he were the backup, I think we should get a 3rd QB, bia the draft or whatever, as I'm not thinking Smith would be a great option to actually play more than a few quarters, he would be more of a guy to help Josh Monday-Saturday.

26 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Man, if only there was a journeyman professional QB that Mahomes could have learned from on the Bills. 

Tyrod was so bad in 2017 that the Bills thrust Nathan Peterman out there.

Which means a talented kid like Mahomes would have been starting the 3rd or 4th week of the season when he wasn't ready and would have gotten killed on the Bills 2017 offense.

Mahomes would have been playing in 2017 and his career would be hanging on by a thread right now.

No Kelce's, no Hill's, no Hunts (when Mahomes first started) on that 2017 Bills team.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

They are acknowledging the impact on Alex Smith's fibula...

6 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Which means a talented kid like Mahomes would have been starting the 3rd or 4th week of the season when he wasn't ready and would have gotten killed on the Bills 2017 offense.

Mahomes would have been playing in 2017 and his career would be hanging on by a thread right now.

No Kelce's, no Hill's, no Hunts (when Mahomes first started) on that 2017 Bills team.

Those 2017 Bills went to the playoffs--even with the Taylor-Peterman combo.

Is Josh Allen, who got killed a lot in his first year starting on the (6-10) Bills, hanging by a thread career-wise?

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, njbuff said:

If Josh Allen was on KC would they have the same success? 

11 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Is Josh Allen, who got killed a lot in his first year starting on the (6-10) Bills, hanging by a thread career-wise?

I can't speak for the Buffalo Bills, obviously, but in the minds of a number of folks here, so it would seem (that he's hanging by a thread career-wise).

Bear in mind that in 2017, we went to the playoffs (offensively) on the strength of the #4 run game on attempts, #6 for yards. 

In 2017, we actually had a reasonable OL.

14 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Carried by the defense.

Mahomes would have gotten killed by that 2017 Bills OL as he isn't the same size as Allen.

Allen was lucky to survive in 2018 behind an even worse OL, when he wasn't supposed to start and still missed some time.

10 minutes ago, Commsvet11 said:

If Josh Allen was on KC would they have the same success? 

It's about Mahomes and the Bills, not Allen and KC.

As I have said MANY MANY times, I have always thought very highly of Mahomes. It's just that Mahomes on the Bills would NOT have worked out well for either party when McDermott first came aboard with the Bills talentless offense.

Edited by njbuff

7 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

No he's not.  He's doing OK.  But Mahomes would be doing better---no doubt.

Since I specified "in the minds of a number of folks here", how's about I let you take that up with them? 

You know the usual suspects.  They are quite clear that Allen has next year to show he's great, or GROH - "no more excuses"

5 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Carried by the defense.

Mahomes would have gotten killed by that 2017 Bills OL as he isn't the same size as Allen.

Allen was lucky to survive in 2018 behind an even worse OL, when he wasn't supposed to start and still missed some time.

Mahomes is listed as 6'3", 230 lbs and our OL in 2017 was actually OK - we managed to be #6 in rush yards gained on the strength of it.

I'm not convinced a QB's size makes him sturdier, so unsure Allen's extra 2" and 10 lbs make that much difference.

Carried by the defense.

Did you see the hits Mahomes was taking yesterday?  He's beast.  What are talking about now?  He's 6'3" 330 lbs. 

Carried by the Defense?  The Bills 2017 D was bad.  But you are saying that the Bills could make the playoffs with a "so bad" Tyrod and the disastrous Peterman.....but Mahomes would not have been able to get them there in 2017 because he's 2 inches shorter and 7 lbs lighter than Josh Allen?

That's a riot.

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Since I specified "in the minds of a number of folks here", how's about I let you take that up with them? 

You know the usual suspects.  They are quite clear that Allen has next year to show he's great, or GROH - "no more excuses"

Mahomes is listed as 6'3", 230 lbs and our OL in 2017 was actually OK - we managed to be #6 in rush yards gained on the strength of it.

I'm not convinced a QB's size makes him sturdier, so unsure Allen's extra 2" and 10 lbs make that much difference.

Maybe they were talking about McD?

I kid....

njbuff is confused..

Edited by Mr. WEO
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Carried by the defense.

It's about Mahomes and the Bills, not Allen and KC.

As I have said MANY MANY times, I have always thought very highly of Mahomes. It's just that Mahomes on the Bills would NOT have worked out well for either party when McDermott first came aboard with the Bills talentless offense.

It is a a simple question, yes or no, does Josh Allen have the same success as Mahomes if he is on KC? 

24 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Nonsense! The 2017 Bills had a decent OL with Wood & Incognito still around.  They also had a younger Shady at RB.  They won 9 games & made the playoffs.  If Mahomes was the QB, they would have had a ton of early picks in 2018 to shore up the O-line (after Wood & Incognito) left & get a WR or 2.  

If Mahomes was playing in 2017 the Bills would be Super Bowl champs today.  

More Alex Smith:

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/02/02/former-49ers-quarterback-alex-smith-reveals-why-hes-lucky-to-be-alive/

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/ron-rivera-doesnt-want-forget-alex-smith-potential-redskins-qb-competition

12 minutes ago, Boca BIlls said:

Even without Alex Smith Mahomes would be the exact guy he is now.

As discussed in previous threads, this is something that is not subject to proof - we don't get a "do over" or the chance to put Mahomes into a different situation.

Therefore, it's essentially at the level of religious belief or dogma

• Thank you (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Allen currently is poor, in bottom 1/3rd of all QBs. Sorry that’s just a truth.

He isn’t hanging on by a string if we make the playoffs next year as that will buy him 1 more year, but if we have our own Rams year of 2019 with a tough schedule and he’s still in the bottom 1/3rd no QB is safe with 3 years in a row.

No GM or HC is going to run the risk of 4 years of a QB in the bottom 33%. The playoffs are like a band-aid over the problem, but eventually if the band-aid isn’t there everyone will see the wound.

If Allen was a 3rd rounder or lower we would already acknowledge this. I should know, I remember the Losman debates.

55 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Tyrod was 9-6 as the starter in 2017, and even at his worst he was still better than Peterman.  There was no need to bench him if they had a promising back up they wanted to keep away from starting.  

They were looking to bench him, which was obvious throughout the offseason/season.

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

this is something that is not subject to proof - we don't get a "do over" or the chance to put Mahomes into a different situation.

Agreed.   Mahones landed in the perfect situation, with the perfect coach and perfect mentor...