Deebo Samuel/Laviska Shenault

RyanC883

Watching the SB yesterday, and seeing all the ways Samuel helped the 49ers offense led me to thinking that the Bills, who like to use a WR in a similar fashion, are likely really high on Shenault.  

That said, I'm not a college football guru, but Shenault is several inches taller than Samuel, albeit perhaps a bit less muscular.  

Thought?   Should the Bills target Shenault.  Can he be a number 1 WR and a jacknife like Samuel?  

Here are the players pre-draft profiles: 

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/deebo-samuel

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/laviska-shenault-jr/NLQE1jFVo5

• Like (+1) 3

They aren't the same player though. 

Shenault is much more physicall but hes a lot slower.  

I think Josh and the Bills will be targeting someone with a huge catch radius or someone with good size to go along with great speed. 

Higgins and Jefferson fit the mold of big guys round 1. 

I just dont think Bills will go WR in round 1 even though I and most of us want to see it. I suspect we go DE or OT round 1. 

Daniel Jeremiah and Bucky Brooks suspect that about 20 WR could go in the first 2 rounds.  The depth is there for us to likely go WR round 2 and I suspect we trade up in round 2 to do so. 

https://art19.com/shows/move-the-sticks/episodes/b0e0cc1b-8683-46aa-8068-193460110ac6

Have a listen. Cant recall exactly where in the podcast it was said however 

Edited by DJB
  • Like (+1) 3

I still don't trust Shenault. I see Cordarrelle Patterson 2.0 tbh. I would hope we spend our first on something more than a gadget player. To me they are mirror images of one another, but Patterson had better wheels coming out of college. 

21 minutes ago, DJB said:

I think Josh and the Bills will be targeting someone with a huge catch radius or someone with good size to go along with great speed. 

I just dont think Bills will go WR in round 1 even though I and most of us want to see it. I suspect we go DE or OT round 1. 

Daniel Jeremiah and Bucky Brooks suspect that about 20 WR could go in the first 2 rounds.  The depth is there for us to likely go WR round 2 and I suspect we trade up in round 2 to do so. 

https://art19.com/shows/move-the-sticks/episodes/b0e0cc1b-8683-46aa-8068-193460110ac6

I dunno...Shenault 40 time is supposed to be a 4.55 and Samuel a 4.48...am I really to believe that .07 seconds is going to make that big of a deal? I don't buy it.

30 minutes ago, DJB said:

there is a scout that said shenault will run around 4.4. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

I dunno...Shenault 40 time is supposed to be a 4.55 and Samuel a 4.48...am I really to believe that .07 seconds is going to make that big of a deal? I don't buy it.

5 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

there is a scout that said shenault will run around 4.4. 

I'll be surprised if he runs that fast

Edited by DJB

38 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

Watching the SB yesterday, and seeing all the ways Samuel helped the 49ers offense led me to thinking that the Bills, who like to use a WR in a similar fashion, are likely really high on Shenault.  

That said, I'm not a college football guru, but Shenault is several inches taller than Samuel, albeit perhaps a bit less muscular.  

Thought?   Should the Bills target Shenault.  Can he be a number 1 WR and a jacknife like Samuel?  

The answer to your question.

Yes!

He is one of the best YAC prospect in the draft and not utilizing him with all these creative sort of designs would be negligent. The possibilities with him are salivating and as long as he could develop into a decent route runner my thoughts are that he could be a star in the league.  He just has to continue to develop.

25 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

4.55 to 4.48 is a half-step, that's a pretty good difference in coverage.

48 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

What matters more to me is that Samuel shredded Clemson for 10 receptions, 210 yards, and 3 TDs. The kid played against top talent and could beat every type of coverage in the SEC. 

1 hour ago, H2o said:

I still don't trust Shenault. I see Cordarrelle Patterson 2.0 tbh. I would hope we spend our first on something more than a gadget player. To me they are mirror images of one another, but Patterson had better wheels coming out of college. 

S henalut is not a gadget player....he is a playmaker....you might be concerned that is how the bills would use him but I do not..I think they would be making every effort to get the ball into his hands

I love the player obviously

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DJB said:

“Shenault is much more physical”. I would say that shenault is bigger.  I wouldn’t say that he’s “much more” physical.  I also wouldn’t say he is “a lot” slower.  Exaggeration imo.

1 hour ago, RyanC883 said:

Personally...the more and more I look at all the options, the more I think we may actually draft an EDGE player in the first and take someone like Pittman in the 2nd, maybe even make a small move to get him (or the one they covet) like they did with Ford last year.  There should be one or two really good edge guys when we pick, and this draft is sooooo deep with WR talent.  I mean Pittman would likely be a sure fire first rounder in many other drafts (and still could be this year too of course, although I think he will go in the 2nd).  And if not Pittman, there are still a lot of premium WR prospects that will go in the 2nd.  

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, NewEra said:

“Shenault is much more physical”. I would say that shenault is bigger.  I wouldn’t say that he’s “much more” physical.  I also wouldn’t say he is “a lot” slower.  Exaggeration imo.

To each their own. 

I've let it be known many times I'm am not a fan of Shenault whatsoever. I have at least 6 guys I like more than him off the top of my head. 

Jeudy

Lamb

Jefferson 

Higgins

Ruggs

Aiyuk

15 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Personally...the more and more I look at all the options, the more I think we may actually draft an EDGE player in the first and take someone like Pittman in the 2nd, maybe even make a small move to get him (or the one they covet) like they did with Ford last year.  There should be one or two really good edge guys when we pick, and this draft is sooooo deep with WR talent.  I mean Pittman would likely be a sure fire first rounder in many other drafts (and still could be this year too of course, although I think he will go in the 2nd).  And if not Pittman, there are still a lot of premium WR prospects that will go in the 2nd.  

I wouldn't be surprised if they did just that. The sample size is small but Beane does have a history, albeit a short one, of trading up (Ford, Edmunds) to get his second pick.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, DJB said:

I would be surprised is he is slower. We will find out in a couple of weeks. I actually think he is going to be faster. 

2 minutes ago, DJB said:

To each their own. 

I've let it be known many times I'm am not a fan of Shenault whatsoever. I have at least 6 guys I like more than him off the top of my head. 

Jeudy

Lamb

Jefferson 

Higgins

Ruggs

Aiyuk

It depends on your OC. A good OC could make him one of the top weapons in the NFL. I would prefer a good route runner though. The Bills are capable of developing athletes so I won’t be worried if we draft him.

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

S henalut is not a gadget player....he is a playmaker....you might be concerned that is how the bills would use him but I do not..I think they would be making every effort to get the ball into his hands

I love the player obviously

Go watch highlights of Patterson at Tennessee and then watch Shenault highlights. Same player, but Patterson is faster imo and excels in the return game. Just my 2.