2020 opponents

Adamb412

1 hour ago, LittleSammy said:

Obviously a lot can happen between now and next season, but I could take a wild a$# guess and see the sports books putting the Bills at over/under 9 wins for next season. We still don't have a lot of respect from the national "experts" and the points noted about the tough 2020 schedule are right on. Putting $$ on the over will be tough if this is the case, unlike the past season where the over under was 6 or 7 in most books. 

O/U 9 is pretty high with this schedule and a one and done playoff trip. 

I see 7.5-8.5 

3 hours ago, Adamb412 said:

Our 2020 opponents are stacked

Both superbowl participants 

5 2019 playoff teams seattle new England tennessee

Going to be one of the first visitors to vegas

Denver looked improved with the QB change 

Rookie of the year and the cardinals

Next year we have our work cut out for us

It would be crazy if we get to the playoffs

It wouldn't be crazy for us to get into the playoffs. You have to remember that our division, which we will be competing with, have very similar schedules.

It looks daunting but maybe not as tough as it seems:

Divison: Go at least 4-2: sweep Jets and Dolphins, ?Pats

AFC West: 2 wins vs. Vegas, Chargers Broncos

NFC West: 2 wins vs. Rams, Cards and Seahawks - that is toughest one but I think Rams and Seahawks will be down a bit

Other 2 games are Tennessee and Steelers - at least split

That's 9-7, figure out 1 more win (home vs. NE?) and 10-6 gets you in, may win division. I could see them going 3-1 vs. AFC west. 

A lot will happen in the offseason but as of today and presuming they continue to draft well and wisely spend the money they have under the cap, they should be able to contend with anyone. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

What do ALL these teams have in common? THEY have the tough schedule they have to play the BILLS. When will Bills fans shed their losing attitude? Do you know what players the Bills will sign in free agency or draft? Do you know that Allen, Motor, Oliver, Edmunds, and White won't be even better next year and be All pros. Stop gauging the teams year based on past teams led by Fitz and Taylor and coached by Dick Jauron. I say they go 11-5 and make at least to the AFC Championship.

• Like (+1) 4

Well last year we played: NE, PHI, BAL, DAL; So one less prior year playoff team. Add in PIT who barely missed 9-6-1 vs 10-6 Indy and that would have been 5. 

Add in prior year CLE team that was supposed to be so great. Solid TEN that was 9-7, Improved NYJ team with Bell, DEN again...

Same can be said every year. How good are you really if you need an "easy" schedule" schedule to just make the playoffs. 

No team is going 16-0. The Chiefs, 49ers, NE, Sea, etc all have to lose. There will be injuries that impact teams. 

Bottom line if you cant win 10 vs any schedule you are not good enough period. 

4 hours ago, Adamb412 said:

Way premature for this.  I still think double digit wins is probable.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Sherman said:

It’ll be all about winning the division. If the Pats don’t have Brady the AFC East is up for grabs. Could be an 8-8 or 9-7 division winner. 

With his level of play last year an another year older i HOPE he stays in New England and the Pats have to overpay to keep him. I want to see his skills acceralte downhill  as a Patriot. I think the AFCE is up for grabs if Brady stays or not.

3 minutes ago, BillsCuse said:

Every year there are teams that you expect to be good, that have down years.  And they are an ascending team that aren't the Bills of the past.  We should expect them to win some of these games now

Exactly, how many people had San Fran in the Super Bowl, 12 months ago, i bet not many.

29 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

With his level of play last year an another year older i HOPE he stays in New England and the Pats have to overpay to keep him. I want to see his skills acceralte downhill  as a Patriot. I think the AFCE is up for grabs if Brady stays or not.

I feel the same. The guy will be 43 to start next season and showed a big decline this year. I get the "he had no weapons" argument but still he is not what he once was. Think Manning in his final years with Denver. 

A few notes on his season:

Fewest TD passes since 2006

Most Attempts since 2015

Lowest completion % since 2013

Lowest passing yards per game since 2010

Lowest QBR ever; Only 2nd time qb rating below 90 since 2008

Lowest yard per attempt since 2002

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Adamb412 said:

It'll just be that much more impressive when we go 13-3 and make a deep playoff run.

We all know ESPN is not always right. But it does provide one gauge of expectations. The 2020 Power Rankings just came out. The Bills start at #11.

Looking at the schedule and power ranking comparisons to last year:

2020 Opponents Avg Ranking: 16

2019 Opponents Avg Ranking: 18

On paper 2020 appeared to be a slightly tougher schedule

2020 Games vs Lower Ranked Teams: 10

2019 Games vs Lower Ranked Teams: 2

On paper 2019 appeared to be a tougher schedule

2020 Games vs bottom 25% of league (ranked 25-32): 4

2019 Games vs bottom 25% of league (ranked 25-32): 4

Wash

2020 Games vs bottom 50% of league (ranked 17-32): 8

2019 Games vs bottom 50% of league (ranked 17-32): 9

2019 looks slightly easier

Edited by ngbills

6 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

‘Fortune favours the bold’.  

My ? is a hope that you’re correct.

I saved a fortune cookie fortune many years ago, stuck to my garage fridge with a Bills magnet that says "Fate favors the fearless"!

Love it!

Further context: Right next to that is a magnet with a cool mad-men style dude holding a hand of cards that says "BLUFFING.  A Pair of Balls Beats Everyting."

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

at least we have 90 million in cap space, a good draft record, and improving young players like White, Edmunds, Allen, and Singletary.  We should expect 10 wins next year, and a SB run.  I'm serious.  We are not that far off.  

even though we beat up on a lot of creampuffs this year, we also took the Ravens, Texans and Pats the distance to say nothing of beating the Titans. A deep playoff run is within the realm of reality. The decade of fail is over.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

It silly to make predictions before FA and the draft. Beane is building a solid roster so I expect the Bills to be better in 2020. I don't know what the record will be but for the first time in a long time NE is going to have to fight for the division and the Bills are the only team that can take it from them. The Jets and Dolphins are both rebuilding and probably need a year or two before they can really compete for the division and playoffs.

• Like (+1) 1

As many noted already....it's too early for this.....FA still to play out...the draft.....injuries in training camp so predictions a bit rough this time of year, but a few thoughts.

1.  Buffalo has earned a place in this leauge where you see them on your schedule and you don't chalk that up to an automatic win...so even as the schedule at this time, appears rough for Buffalo...those teams seeing the Bills on the schedule should be considered rough as well.  The Bills are a good team and tough out.

2.  I have no idea how the Tom Brady saga is going to end, but here is my best guess.  He resigns with the Patriots, and knowing they really are at the end, decide to break from the norm a bit and spend some money for Tom to have a few weapons.  Julian Eddlemen CAN NOT be any teams No.1 WR.  He isn't that guy.  he's a great peice to have on a team with other weapons...he can't be THE weapon.  Not having GRONK, or a TE even remotely close to resembling him, hurt bad.  IF......IF Brady is back and they go out and get him a TE, and a couple more WR who are legit (like an emmanual Sanders in FA, ETC ETC) Then Belichick will be able to head to 2020 with what is still a very very good D, and an offense that might have one more good run left with Brady.  In that scenario, the Bills would absolutely have to split or sweep.  For the Bills, a complete dismantling of that team would obviously be best.  Whatever happens there, goes a long way toward understanding the Bills prospects.

3.  it has been noted that there is usually an influx of a new playoff teams from year to year.....and almost always 1 team you don't really expect.  That's an interesting prospect...but one that should also concern Bills fans.....I've mentioned it before and got "boooooed" like crazy, but a young up and coming team like the Bills....are sometimes prone to an uneven ascent to being a real contender....sometimes when a good young team has a good season, and draws a somewhat stronger schedule the next year, there is a bit of a slump, even as the team continues to grow.  if you are honest about it....that is a possibility for the Bills.....but let's assume that isn't the case....some here have noted that teams like the Steelers will be back in the mix when Ben comes back...so that's 1 right there that is lurking.  One I don't expect back are the Titans....that formula of Tannehill and Henry only works so long...and both are FA so we don't even know if both will be back or not.  I tend to think high usage RB wear down and that kind of team can be exposed in the playoffs...and problaby the regular season too. 

4.  Lastly....also, as mentioned prior in this thread....winning your division is the goal and getting at least one home playoff game.  Winning in the playoffs is tough, and being at home helps....the Bills would have a great homefiled advantage and getting a home playoff win would be a HUGE milestone....you win one, you get Allen and the team that experience and confidence of a playoff win...it's a huge building block....not just for the next playoff game, but it's one of those big bricks you lay as the foundation of a team that is building something.  Everyone else in the Bills divison plays more or less the same "tough" schedule.  The Bills, at this early stage at least....look like the best team in the AFC East....the division title has to be the low end goal.

......and unrelated to the Bills....just a way too early look ahead.....

KC finds itself in a somewhat similar position to the Patriots in that KC has already been dominating the AFC W since Andy Ried has been coach...KC has lost 1 division game in like 3 years or something like that...and that should continue as the Chargers, Raiders and Broncos all navigate iffy QB situations again next year.....The core of the team is under contract through 2021 more or less so they are well positioned to compete for the forseeable future.  Expect KC to be back and near the top of the standings again.

I expect Baltimore will continue to run their unique offense and run it well.  They should be contenders and alot of them certainly remain hungry after this years dissapointment in the playoffs...I think they'll be motivated to get back.

The Titans had a great run to finish off the year.  I don't think Tannehills passing streak and numbers are sustainable..I do expect he'll be back in TENN, adn they'll regret overpaying for Henry, who will wear down over time.  They play in the weak AFC South, so that gets them somewhere but not to the playoffs.

My surprise playoff team from the AFC.....you 2020 AFC South Champion......................Jacksonville Jaguars.  That team still has alot of the same parts that made them a really tough D the last few years...and Gardner Minshew won 6 games for them....they aren't dynamic on O, but among Foles and Minshew, one of those guys will be a solid QB.  I think no one will have any expectations at all, and they play in the AFC south.  Indy has QB issues.  Tennesee..I don't see them repeating what they did...and that leave Houston.   Houston has the most talent in that divison.  However, I think Bill Obrien has shown he can't get a team past the divisional round of the playoffs.  I think he's probalby lost the locker room, or if he hasn't...his grip on it, is hanging by a thread.  They've expended a ton of draft capital and money and still can't get anywhere.  They know they have a good QB, and the players are going to start tuning that guy out.  I believe they implode in 2020 and miss the playoffs.

AFC too early to call it playoff teams (NOTE, these aren't final predicitons for the whole season!)

1. KC

2. Baltimore

3. Buffalo

4. Jacksonville

5. Pittsburg

6. New England

That's 2 new in.  Houston and Tennessee out.

NFC thoughts.

I can see a scenario where the Niners implode.  That SB loss was devastating...and they have some FA decisions to make...add that to the division they play in....the Seahawks and Rams both had winning records in 2019 and still have some punch even if LA is fightin the cap now...the core is still there.  The Cardinals gave SF all they could handle in both games.  Jimmy G might actually be the 4th best QB in his own division.  All things combined...super bowl hangover, some FA leaving, limited by Jimmy G, tough division.  The NINERS are out of the playoffs in 2020.

I see a similar fate for the Packers....they won a TON of close 1 score games.  That isn't sustainable.  Rodgers looks like hes beginning to decline a little.  They had a decent D, but have too many hole and benefitted from some breaks in the schedule etc etc.  I also think the division will be tougher.  The Lions were starting to look just a little scary before Stafford got hurt.  The Bears.....even with Trubisky, sill have most of a strong D in tact.  The Vikings have a solid deep roster.  The Pack MISS THE PLAYOFFS in 2020.

The Cowboys had a really wierd season....put up alot of stats on bad teams....couldn't beat good teams.....have a fairly deep roster.  New coach....lots of bad teams in divison.  I see them winning the division in 2020.  They are back in.

Part of why this is too early.....don't know what drew brees will do yet.  If he's back with the Saints...they are back in....let's assume he's there.  They get in.

My big surprise of the NFC....teh Falcons win the NFC south.  They played hard for their coach.  They still have Matt Ryan.  Julio....they are over their Super Bowl heartbreak and ready to compete again.  I think they get it together and win the division.

Detroit is my other surprise team.  A healthy stafford hsa the Lions rolling and in teh mix for the NFC north title all year.

NFC too early to call it playoff teams (agian, NOT my final predictions..I'll do that before the season)

1. Cowboys (thats right...they will ride an easy divison, and fresh coach to a 1 seed)

2. Falcons

3. Lions

4. Sehawks

5. Vikings

6. Saints

That is 3 new teams in.  SF, GB, Philly, all out.

NFC is wide open next year.

• Like (+1) 2

I dont see the schedule as that hard.  A lot of that depends on what happens in NE, but if Brady bails then you'd expect the Bills to be the favorites in the division going into the year.    The names of the teams on the schedule seem daunting, but they all have questions to answer.

Chargers- Who is their QB?   Does Tyrod or a rookie beat the Bills? 

Rams- Goff will be a starter for another year.  

Steelers- How is Roethlisberger going to come back from a full year off at 38 years old?

Cardinals- Will Murray be better in his 2nd year? 

Broncos- Will Lock continue to be decent?

Titans- Who plays QB for them?

Raiders- Do they have someone new at QB?  If not does Carr scare you? 

Then you play the Jets, Dolphins, and Patriots (maybe sans Brady) each twice.  Not saying they win 13 games, but getting to ten again is doable if they play as well as they did this year.  

• Like (+1) 3