No one else thought McD & the Bills watching the 49ers in the fourth?

1 minute ago, ILBillsfan said:

I was rooting for the chiefs but this was horrible management of time.

Not calling a time out after third down by the chiefs and then the two simple run plays to get the clock to :21 then they throw the bomb to Kittle that was the bad OP call imo but it still goes back to not calling a time out to give the offense a min half and with two timeouts time to get some points.  oh and then they went in to half with two timeouts still head scratching

That was brutal if you were a 49ers fan watching that

Agreed, except about the Kittle OP. Seemed like a good call to me. He extended his arm to get separation.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, MJS said:

I was pretty shocked at what I saw at the end of the first half. Plenty of time. Still have all your time outs. In the Superbowl. You have to at least to go down and attempt to get some points.

If there's a game you don't want to be over conservative in, it's the Superbowl.

Shani even said after the game that he didnt want the Chiefs getting the ball back at the end of the first half. Seemed he wasnt all that confident in his offense to move the ball down the field or his defense to step up if the Chiefs did get the ball back. 

2 minutes ago, MJS said:

Agreed, except about the Kittle OP. Seemed like a good call to me. He extended his arm to get separation.

It was OPI - fair.

The question I have on that is was it called equitably on both sides in the game.

It seemed like the sort of thing that takes place almost every play, and it had a huge impact on the game.  I hate to see that.

3 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Don't question McD seems to be some peoples mantra here......

Trust the process!!!!!

Also note Tannehill & Jimmy G, both went into games vs. KC with rushing offenses that looked unstoppable & people saying they will need to throw & prove themselves vs. KC & both had okay #'s, but L's.....  

no it's not.  no matter how you try to twist this, this is not what's happening.  maybe some just don't see the need try cry a few time a week and post the same thread over and over.

on top of that, did you ever consider it was josh allen's play that limited what this staff did offensively?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BillsfanAZ said:

Shani even said after the game that he didnt want the Chiefs getting the ball back at the end of the first half. Seemed he wasnt all that confident in his offense to move the ball down the field or his defense to step up if the Chiefs did get the ball back. 

If that's what he said, then him saying he was comfortable going into the half 10-10 is Baloney

22 minutes ago, teef said:

no it's not.  no matter how you try to twist this, this is not what's happening.  maybe some just don't see the need try cry a few time a week and post the same thread over and over.

on top of that, did you ever consider it was josh allen's play that limited what this staff did offensively?

Sorry Teef, a lot here follow the McD mantra.  

I watched the SB & thought McD down the stretch, at halftime & the way they played the game (early innovative calls), a little close to the vest, bend not break defense & yes thinking after the second int that they just needed to make no mistakes. 

And if it is Allen, then the Bills need another QB....  And that is what I said all year, that this is what I thought was most important in 2019, is JA the franchise.

Edited by Billsfan1972

Just now, Billsfan1972 said:

I watched the SB & thought McD down the stretch, at halftime & the way they played the game (early innovative calls), a little close to the vest, bend not break defense & yes thinking after the second int that they just needed to make no mistakes. 

eh.  it's nothing like you're making it out to be.

i think right now both san fran and buffalo a limited by qb play.  i say this as a big fan of allen, but he's not anywhere close to where he needs to be yet.  i assume, (and hope) we see an evolution of the offense once JA becomes a more polished qb and a few more weapons are added.

as mentioned, people are acting like this is a finish product.  we say the same outcry after the 6-10 season only to go back to the playoffs the next.  this is a work in progress, and some are having a very tough time with it.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, teef said:

eh.  it's nothing like you're making it out to be.

i think right now both san fran and buffalo a limited by qb play.  i say this as a big fan of allen, but he's not anywhere close to where he needs to be yet.  i assume, (and hope) we see an evolution of the offense once JA becomes a more polished qb and a few more weapons are added.

as mentioned, people are acting like this is a finish product.  we say the same outcry after the 6-10 season only to go back to the playoffs the next.  this is a work in progress, and some are having a very tough time with it.  

Again here is where we agree....  I just wanted to get a better read of JA this year & thought McD & Daboll held him back.

2 hours ago, matter2003 said:

The problem with the Bills as currently constructed is they leave themselves very little margin for error in most games they play.  They need to get more weapons on offense so they can score more point to give themselves some breathing room and not put their D in a position where they have to hold team to under 17 points a game to have a legit chance of winning.

So could they have won? Yes.  But the reason they didn't is because you have to be able to score more than 20 points in games regularly.

Excellent post.

There is not a huge separation between teams at the NFL level.  Combine that with the nature of the sport (any given Sunday...), and it's really not a far-fetched idea for anyone to beat anyone.  In general, the 2019 Buffalo Bills were good enough to "hang" with the elite teams, play 50-50 against the other playoff-caliber teams, and consistently defeat pretty much everyone below that level.  So no.  It's not unreasonable to see them pulling out a win against a team like the Chiefs or the 49ers.  But it was always very unlikely they could win 3-4 straight games against teams of that caliber -which is what it would have taken to win it all.

Building a Super-Bowl winner doesn't require building the BEST team in the league, or following some magic formula.  It's about building a team that can CONSISTENTLY compete and win games against the other elite teams in the league.  If a GM can keep his team at that level for several years, odds are they should win some playoff games.  Win some consecutive playoff games and that puts them in position to take the trophy.

Bottom line, the Bills had a championship-caliber defense in 2019.  It certainly wasn't perfect, and there were times they struggled with tackling, run defense and applying pressure on the QB.  But that side of the ball was capable of CONSISTENTLY shutting down the league's best offenses.  On the other hand, the offense struggled weekly to put up 25 points, regardless of who they played.  The path to the Super Bowl would have probably included the Chiefs, Titans and 49ers.  No way we survive that stretch with a below-average offense.

The good news is, the Bills are close.  And like I said, it isn't about fielding the best team in the NFL in 2020.  It's about bumping ourselves into that "elite tier" of teams, with the Chiefs, 49ers, Ravens, Saints, Packers, etc.  Scoring another 4-5 points each game would put us there.  And our front office is building us for the long-haul, not sacrificing the future for 1-2 years as a contender (see Rams).  

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

And if it is Allen, then the Bills need another QB....  And that is what I said all year, that this is what I thought was most important in 2019, is JA the franchise.

You could make your life happier and just not watch.  But please dont try to spread your germs.  Wash your hands and put on a mask.  Be respectful. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Again here is where we agree....  I just wanted to get a better read of JA this year & thought McD & Daboll held him back.

i got ya.  i really do like josh as the future, but there's a lot to improve, from both him and the staff.  baby steps.

4 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

They did almost everything right & then turtled up 10....

I could have sworn that was McD calling the plays up 10 & trying to milk it out.

Jimmy G was just good enough to lose....

And bonus....  Jimmy G has Sanders open for the go ahead TD with 1:30 to go & as per JA this year over threw him.....?

I will admit to scouring the 49ers sideline looking for Daboll.

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

I don't think that's fair. I'm a die hard Bills fan. I'm very optimistic.  I love McBeane, the culture and the future is just beautifully bright but I 100% agree with the OP. 

I literally  had the same thoughts , this is a huge flaw that needs to be addressed . I blame Dabol first and then McD because McD is allowing him to have complete freedom . 

The team that won the SB was aggressive and played the same way whether down 10 or up 10. 

I've seen way to many times this offense totally change their play calling with a lead and being content with letting the Defense win the game. We just have to grow and evolve in that department and I'm confident they will address it but I absolutely thought of the Bills in the way the 49ers imploded and imo , played scared . 

I also blame Daboll, but not for the same reason. After reading what "Hapless Bills fan" has stated about what he knows, the offense is more of a collaborative effort as McD does have some say as to how the offense is run. 

That said, I think the play calling during games is more on Daboll, and still that has issues as does Allen have actual power to change the play at the line or run an RPO on his own. I'm thinking no...although this is very debatable. I kinda wish that Daboll did have total freedom and therefore he would have to shoulder all the blame or acclaim. 

Bills fans talking about the games the team lost last season Patriots, Eagles, Browns, Ravens, Patriots, Jets. Against the Jets in that last game the Bills rested starters so that one doesn't count. The Eagles game was the only game in which the Bills were really dominated on both lines offensively and defensively and lost 31-16 by a wide margin. 

It's my contention that those other four games could have been wins had the Bills run the ball more and passed less in those games. Daboll is putting way to much of the game on Josh Allen's shoulders to win games against the better defenses in the NFL. Allen is simply not ready at this point. The Titans showed the Bills how to beat the Patriots. Build a dominate offensive line and find a way to make that run game work in any situation. (You also don't need a Derrick Henry type RB to get the job done either.)

If this super bowl looked like the Bills in any aspect its that the 49ers moved away from what got them to that game in the first place. Against the Packers in the NFC championship game Garoppolo threw only 8 freaking times and they ran it 42 times. Against Minnesota in the first playoff game the 49ers threw it 19 times and ran it 47 times.

In the super bowl against the Chiefs the 49ers went into a Buffalo Bills mode by asking their QB to carry the game with his arm and he simply couldn't do it. Instead of running more and passing less like did in the previous two playoff games, they went 22 runs vs 31 passes. (The Bills did win some games with Josh Allen carrying the offense with some fourth quarter comeback wins. Although those wins weren't against the better defenses)  OTOH, Mahomes carried the game with his arm and won MVP. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Totally agree with the OP!  Just had a discussion with my brother about this.  He said the same thing.

Shanahan coached liked McDermott.  He has a minute and a half before the half to go down the field to score at least a field goal.  Instead, he lets the time run.  Tries one big play that would have gotten them the field goal, but it gets overturned on a penalty and they take the knee to go in tied at the half.  They take a 10 point lead with 6 minutes to go in the game, get 6 yards on the first play.  Then, Shanahan abandons the run and goes to the pass, where more can go wrong and where the difference makers on the KC defense do just that…Chris Jones knocking down passes, deflections at the line of scrimmage...etc.  KC gets the ball back, they have 3rd and 15…could have ended the game here.  SF rushes four, Mahomes heaves up a desperation pass,  and seven men in coverage let Hill get wide open to catch it.

Shanahan did not learn from his failure with the Atlanta Super Bowl.  Let’s hope McDermott was watching and did learn that while the game is undecided and you have a chance to put up more points, you play aggressively (aka Reid going for it on 4th down a number of times.)  Once you have a two score lead, and your running game is working…that’s when you go conservative, to run clock, move the chains and keep the other offense off the field, and give your defense a breather.

• Like (+1) 2

Mcdermott runs the ball up 10. Being conservative probably would have helped in this game, if the Bills would be having the success running the ball that San Fran had. I mean they get 5 on a first down run with what under six minutes left and then threw the next two plays to take off no time. 

33 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

Excellent post.

There is not a huge separation between teams at the NFL level.  Combine that with the nature of the sport (any given Sunday...), and it's really not a far-fetched idea for anyone to beat anyone.  In general, the 2019 Buffalo Bills were good enough to "hang" with the elite teams, play 50-50 against the other playoff-caliber teams, and consistently defeat pretty much everyone below that level.  So no.  It's not unreasonable to see them pulling out a win against a team like the Chiefs or the 49ers.  But it was always very unlikely they could win 3-4 straight games against teams of that caliber -which is what it would have taken to win it all.

Building a Super-Bowl winner doesn't require building the BEST team in the league, or following some magic formula.  It's about building a team that can CONSISTENTLY compete and win games against the other elite teams in the league.  If a GM can keep his team at that level for several years, odds are they should win some playoff games.  Win some consecutive playoff games and that puts them in position to take the trophy.

Bottom line, the Bills had a championship-caliber defense in 2019.  It certainly wasn't perfect, and there were times they struggled with tackling, run defense and applying pressure on the QB.  But that side of the ball was capable of CONSISTENTLY shutting down the league's best offenses.  On the other hand, the offense struggled weekly to put up 25 points, regardless of who they played.  The path to the Super Bowl would have probably included the Chiefs, Titans and 49ers.  No way we survive that stretch with a below-average offense.

The good news is, the Bills are close.  And like I said, it isn't about fielding the best team in the NFL in 2020.  It's about bumping ourselves into that "elite tier" of teams, with the Chiefs, 49ers, Ravens, Saints, Packers, etc.  Scoring another 4-5 points each game would put us there.  And our front office is building us for the long-haul, not sacrificing the future for 1-2 years as a contender (see Rams).  

Yes, there is no reason to think the team can't get at least a 3-4 point per game increase in scoring if they make the appropriate adjustments on the offensive side of the ball and if they really strike gold in that department, potentially a 5 or 6 point improvement and then we are talking about a possible run to a division title and being talked about as one of the best teams in the AFC averaging 26-27 points per game.

But, it is also unrealistic to think they will maintain their exceptionally low points per game allowed numbers on defense also, so there will likely be a little bit of a tradeoff. They need to come out on the positive net side of an increase in offensive points scored and an increase in defensive points allowed. If they offset to a net of 0 or even worse, negative, then the team might actually get worse record wise.

Edited by matter2003