No one else thought McD & the Bills watching the 49ers in the fourth?

1. Get an elite pass rusher via trade or free agency. 
2.  Sign a competent starting OT in free agency 

3.  Draft the best skill position playmaker in 1st round.  Draft another in Round 2.  
4.  Let Lawson and Phillips walk and fill in the rest with replacement level depth players 

Move over QB Purgatory.  Buffalo is now in Franchise Purgatory.

Beat all the duds.

Lose to all the studs.

i know it is not college.  But eventually the bengals and dolphins and redskins of the world vanish and you have to, not lose close, but actually BEAT the Ravens, Patriots, Chiefs of the AFC.

2020 will be a great opportunity to do that.

Edited by RalphWilson'sNewWar

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

True but they were both 4th and 1 or 4th and 2. The 49ers in 4th and medium (which I think both of the ones your mentioned were) are not a 50% proposition because that are generally conventional drop back passing downs and that is the 49ers offensive weakness. 

my overall point is that they should have had the convo of...we're in 4 down territory on that first drive. run the ball get first or close to it with how good their run game is. they had a chance to set the tone early and ending with that fg i think was a loser mentality. let's run it down their throat and nobody will blame us if we miss. 

3 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Beat all the flubs

Lose to all the studs.

i know it is not college.  But eventually the bengals and dolphins and redskins of the world vanish and you have to, not lose close, but actually BEAT the Ravens, Patriots, Chiefs of the AFC.

Yep, the 2020 schedule will be a good test, at least the way it looks now. Good thing is the Pats have pretty much the same schedule...cant wait for the home schedule next year

I was pretty shocked at what I saw at the end of the first half. Plenty of time. Still have all your time outs. In the Superbowl. You have to at least to go down and attempt to get some points.

If there's a game you don't want to be over conservative in, it's the Superbowl.

• Like (+1) 1

Definitely very reminiscent of some Bills games we saw this past year, but the comparison ends when it comes to Jimmy G vs Josh Allen.  

Jimmy G has shown he's a solid game manager.  Josh Allen has already shown to be much more, with much less around him. 

I still think we should follow their formula, to a degree, continue to build the OL, get a speed back to pair with Singletary and upgrade our EDGE rush in FA.  Then go after WR in the Draft.

San Fran's achilles heels were Jimmy G, Coaching and their Secondary.  Again, Jimmy G isn't bad, but you can't rely on him to make plays.

Edited by SCBills

6 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Beat all the duds.

Lose to all the studs.

This is a silly post because anyone who thought the 2019 Bills were a finished product just hasn't been paying attention.  They are in the midst of a progression franchises go through to become top tier.  First you show you belong by hanging around in these games against top opponents.  The next step is winning your share of them.  I can't imagine why any Bills fan is not very excited about what has happened and what is to come.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I think we’re a little hard on these guys and how they play. In certain ways it was kind of the first real year as a team. Allen wasn’t a rookie anymore and was throwing to mostly all new players.  We had to incorporate a ton of new players into the offense. We lacked some depth at key positions. Lot of reasons they didn’t gel and play consistently and put teams away. Mcdermott and Daboll deserve some blame of course but they were better than I expected record wise given the influx of new talent. I expect much better next season. I expect a less conservative approach. We are going to of course be adding in some more talent but our key pieces on both sides of the ball are no longer rookies and inexperienced they are battle tested veterans now. There is zero reason the offense can’t take a big jump for next season barring key injuries. Lot of glass empty guys on here and I get it, but the reality is this team once again outperformed expectations. I do not recall very many members thinking we had a Super Bowl run possibly in this team in preseason. And certainly on the national stage very few were expecting playoffs and contending for this division until December. 
As fans we are greedy but there is an awful lot to be excited for. We are now a top 5 contender for the AFC for the foreseeable future. We can hang with KC and Baltimore with our offense playing better. For the negative people yeah maybe we won’t take the next step but that’s a whole separate topic that involves blowing up the team some

3 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

They did almost everything right & then turtled up 10....

I could have sworn that was McD calling the plays up 10 & trying to milk it out.

Jimmy G was just good enough to lose....

And bonus....  Jimmy G has Sanders open for the go ahead TD with 1:30 to go & as per JA this year over threw him.....?

I didn't think they turtled, I think they went play action at the wrong time. They were getting good yardage on the ground and then all of the sudden they wanted Jimmy g to make a play. They should have kept gashing them.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Definitely very reminiscent of some Bills games we saw this past year, but the comparison ends when it comes to Jimmy G vs Josh Allen.  

Jimmy G has shown he's a solid game manager.  Josh Allen has already shown to be much more, with much less around him. 

I still think we should follow their formula, to a degree, continue to build the OL, get a speed back to pair with Singletary and upgrade our EDGE rush in FA.  Then go after WR in the Draft.

San Fran's achilles heels were Jimmy G, Coaching and their Secondary.  Again, Jimmy G isn't bad, but you can't rely on him to make plays.

I don't disagree & expect JA to be much better then Jimmy G, but he was playing a Daboll style game, managing the team and getting to 20 points and when you needed one play from him in the fourth he didn't do it.

He was 19-22 at one point, but most were short easy passes.

2 hours ago, Bob in STL said:

These threads on McDermott are ridiculous.   Further, the notion that San Fran blew the game only attempts  to lesson what KC did.  

Two excellent teams, great game, KC won because their best player was the games best player.  Period.  

Now, now.

Misery needs its company.

Don't break up the miserables with appreciation for the good.

Ignore the good. Find the crappy. Tie it in to the Bills. That's the correct formula.

If you break up the miserables, a lot of journalists will lose their jobs.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, eball said:

This is a silly post because anyone who thought the 2019 Bills were a finished product just hasn't been paying attention.  They are in the midst of a progression franchises go through to become top tier.  First you show you belong by hanging around in these games against top opponents.  The next step is winning your share of them.  I can't imagine why any Bills fan is not very excited about what has happened and what is to come.

you get excited in your heart AND head when they show up and beat of quality.  That is when that happens.  Which I said...2020 is a great opportunity to show that.

2 hours ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

you're really a bills fan? seems for the most part, you're a bills basher. I know, you're just so unhappy with your so called team you feel the need to express yourself.

welcome to the off season folks, I'm sure old 1972 here will keep you all entertained the next few months.

see you in april...

I don't think that's fair. I'm a die hard Bills fan. I'm very optimistic.  I love McBeane, the culture and the future is just beautifully bright but I 100% agree with the OP. 

I literally  had the same thoughts , this is a huge flaw that needs to be addressed . I blame Dabol first and then McD because McD is allowing him to have complete freedom . 

The team that won the SB was aggressive and played the same way whether down 10 or up 10. 

I've seen way to many times this offense totally change their play calling with a lead and being content with letting the Defense win the game. We just have to grow and evolve in that department and I'm confident they will address it but I absolutely thought of the Bills in the way the 49ers imploded and imo , played scared . 

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, MJS said:

I was pretty shocked at what I saw at the end of the first half. Plenty of time. Still have all your time outs. In the Superbowl. You have to at least to go down and attempt to get some points.

If there's a game you don't want to be over conservative in, it's the Superbowl.

I was rooting for the chiefs but this was horrible management of time.

Not calling a time out after third down by the chiefs and then the two simple run plays to get the clock to :21 then they throw the bomb to Kittle that was the bad OP call imo but it still goes back to not calling a time out to give the offense a min half and with two timeouts time to get some points.  oh and then they went in to half with two timeouts still head scratching

That was brutal if you were a 49ers fan watching that

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Don't question McD seems to be some peoples mantra here......

Trust the process!!!!!

Also note Tannehill & Jimmy G, both went into games vs. KC with rushing offenses that looked unstoppable & people saying they will need to throw & prove themselves vs. KC & both had okay #'s, but L's.....