No one else thought McD & the Bills watching the 49ers in the fourth?

10 minutes ago, The Red King said:

After watching the Super Bowl I'm left thinking the Bills could have won it all.  I didn't see a team the Bills couldn't beat, and that gives me some hope.  Now, before you all rise to flame me, let me make one thing clear...

The Bills could have, but wouldn't have and didn't.

In four games against NE, Baltimore and Houston the Bills showed they could run with the big dogs, losing by just 6, 7, 7 and 3.  But at the same time they were indeed 0-4.  Remove the throwaway Jets game and the Bills only lost by more then one score once.  Flip that though, and the Bills never really crushed any of the teams they were supposed to.  And there in lies the problem.  Buffalo has no killer instinct, and would regularly drop into "Oh please dear god just run out the clock and don't lose!" mode.  Originally I thought we could make it past KC had we not choked the Houston game away.  But now?  No.  KC battles back when down.  Had we made it to them, the KC game would likely have played out like the Houston game.  Buffalo jumps ahead, drops into turtle mode and watches KC claw their way to victory.

I think the Bills are more competative then people think.  I think they are on the cusp of top-tier and that gives me hope.  But they obviously need some talented receivers and a coaching philosophy that is willing to go for the throat.  I'm desperately hoping the former will lead to the latter, because this team is closer then expected.

The problem with the Bills as currently constructed is they leave themselves very little margin for error in most games they play.  They need to get more weapons on offense so they can score more point to give themselves some breathing room and not put their D in a position where they have to hold team to under 17 points a game to have a legit chance of winning.

So could they have won? Yes.  But the reason they didn't is because you have to be able to score more than 20 points in games regularly.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 7

1 minute ago, aristocrat said:

To add...I think the chiefs went for it twice on 4th?  Made it both times. That’s the edge needed to win. 

True but they were both 4th and 1 or 4th and 2. The 49ers in 4th and medium (which I think both of the ones your mentioned were) are not a 50% proposition because that are generally conventional drop back passing downs and that is the 49ers offensive weakness. 

Didn't Mahomes play an "Allen-esque" game yesterday? A really ill-advised throw on the pick. Some flat-out inaccurate passes. A couple option plays that worked because of his mobility. Some tentativeness in throwing the ball downfield.  And after all that: a Josh Allen type 4th quarter comeback, including the big throw to Tyreek Hill which was enabled by his ability to keep the play alive long enough for coverage to break down. It all made me think that maybe it's not so out of reach for us ...

• Like (+1) 8

That 49s defensive line would've set a sack record against the Bills. Neither our LT or RT are any good against speed rushers, and they have speed+power. Also, after White we have nobody to stick with KCs WRs. We couldn't even beat Houston, so I'm not sure where these posts are coming from. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

True but they were both 4th and 1 or 4th and 2. The 49ers in 4th and medium (which I think both of the ones your mentioned were) are not a 50% proposition because that are generally conventional drop back passing downs and that is the 49ers offensive weakness. 

9ers had a 4th and about a yard and half and took the field goal.

38 minutes ago, dubs said:

Well, the niners lost because instead of running the ball on those last two drive before going down by 4, they threw incompletions on 2nd and 9 and 2nd and 5. 

This! I actually didn’t notice it during the game but watching the recap later it was really strange why SF stuck with throwing the ball once KC woke up. I have no idea what they were doing! Felt exactly like a Daboll offense. They should’ve Run the ball, eaten the clock, and ground it out for a Super Bowl victory. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Was that the 3rd Quarter one? Couldn't remember how far that was to go. 

I think so. It was short. Its a hard call to make, because if you miss it you lose out on the points, but If you make it have chance to add another 4. Reid got the extra 4 earlier, so looking back its like an 8 pt swing. Those coaching decisions are tough and can win/lose a game.

He threw that ball and didn't just run it so he didn't turtle up. If he ran it and it got stuffed fair point, that's NOT what happened.

He tried to stay balanced even with a lead to stop predictability. He did the right thing. Players can and will fail to execute.

• Like (+1) 1

Here's what I don't get. The 9ers were running some pretty creative plays in the first half, and they were dominating the 2nd half up until the middle of the 4th quarter. Then, when it's 20-17 and 20-24, the 9ers seem to run basic plays. Why not run some of that creativity again when you're in the hole? Yes, they already ran it in the game but so what? If it worked in the first half, who's to say it doesn't work when you're down? 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Steptide said:

Here's what I don't get. The 9ers were running some pretty creative plays in the first half, and they were dominating the 2nd half up until the middle of the 4th quarter. Then, when it's 20-17 and 20-24, the 9ers seem to run basic plays. Why not run some of that creativity again when you're in the hole? Yes, they already ran it in the game but so what? If it worked in the first half, who's to say it doesn't work when you're down? 

Agreed. I saw some really creative stuff on both offenses. Really hope Daboll turns it up this year and expands the playbook. 

59 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

These threads on McDermott are ridiculous.   Further, the notion that San Fran blew the game only attempts  to lesson what KC did.  

Two excellent teams, great game, KC won because their best player was the games best player.  Period.  

There just has not been enough snow to shovel this winter in WNY to keep these chuckleheads busy and more productive.  If KC wins again next year the same people will be here the day after grinding away on McDermott and Mahomes.

39 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

There just has not been enough snow to shovel this winter in WNY to keep these chuckleheads busy and more productive.  If KC wins again next year the same people will be here the day after grinding away on McDermott and Mahomes.

It was an observation that seemed eerily similar to the Bills philosophy.  

Further Jimmy G's first int could easily be compared to some JA threw.  Missed some reads badly (crucial one to Kittles in the 4th).

Moved the ball well when they scored & then when needed, got flustered.

Edited by Billsfan1972

For the Bills to win as presently defined they would have needed to play a perfect game while getting some breaks against an opponent, the Chiefs for 49ers here for example, that would have needed to more or less under-perform.  I think we're an off-season of a good free agency and draft class away from running with the big dogs.  And the tougher schedule next year doesn't scare me given a goal of winning the AFCE next season.

But I share your enthusiasm and it's great to hear more and more Bills fans express positive expectations vs. the doom and gloom we've been subjected to for what seems like forever.