Mahomes contract predictions

NoSaint

All this Dak talk makes me laugh.  The dude is a glorified bus driver.

One of the best Offensive lines in the game.

The best RB in the game.

A great WR corp.

Their record 8-8.... *wut*

IF the Cowboys were smart, IMO, trade Dak and a 4-5 round pick away to Miami for their 2 first round picks and Rosen.

Dak at 35Mil a year? :)  Crazy. 

• Like (+1) 1

...now this is quite laughable.........

Report: Dak Prescott rejected $33 million per year in new money in September

Posted by Mike Florio on February 7, 2020, 2:13 PM EST

Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott bet on himself in September, and he’s about to cash in. One way or the other.

Clarence E. Hill, Jr. of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram reports that the Cowboys and Prescott “came close to deal in September on a contract that would have paid him roughly $33 million annually.” Talks broke down when Prescott wanted more.

Here’s the thing to remember regarding any talks from 2018. Prescott’s paltry salary of $2 million for 2019 would have dragged down the total value at signing of any new contract. If, for example, the Cowboys had offered a five-year extension worth $33 million per year, the average value at signing on the six-year deal would have been $27.8 million per year, halfway between to total value at signing of the contracts signed by Jimmy Garoppolo (five years, $27.5 million per year) and Kirk Cousins (three years, $28 million per year).

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/02/07/report-dak-prescott-rejected-33-million-per-year-in-new-money-in-september/

On 2/2/2020 at 11:09 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Kirk Cousins signed a 3 year, $84M contract fully guaranteed.

I could be wrong, but I don't think you can do a half-season contract.  It's either 5 seasons or 6?

That's why it's the over/under your choosing over or under 5.5

On 2/3/2020 at 5:17 PM, BigBillsFan said:

My point somehow was lost in your post. I'm not saying Mahomes would be a scrub on the Rams under McVay, but he would be under Dennison/Daboll (Bills), or the Bengals.

No he wouldn't. 

20 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...now this is quite laughable.........

Report: Dak Prescott rejected $33 million per year in new money in September

Posted by Mike Florio on February 7, 2020, 2:13 PM EST

Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott bet on himself in September, and he’s about to cash in. One way or the other.

Clarence E. Hill, Jr. of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram reports that the Cowboys and Prescott “came close to deal in September on a contract that would have paid him roughly $33 million annually.” Talks broke down when Prescott wanted more.

Here’s the thing to remember regarding any talks from 2018. Prescott’s paltry salary of $2 million for 2019 would have dragged down the total value at signing of any new contract. If, for example, the Cowboys had offered a five-year extension worth $33 million per year, the average value at signing on the six-year deal would have been $27.8 million per year, halfway between to total value at signing of the contracts signed by Jimmy Garoppolo (five years, $27.5 million per year) and Kirk Cousins (three years, $28 million per year).

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/02/07/report-dak-prescott-rejected-33-million-per-year-in-new-money-in-september/

Why is it? If I am Dak Prescott I am not settling for being between Jimmy G and Kirk Cousins. That is what Jacoby Brissett signed for. I am Dak there is no way you can tell me I am equal to Jacoby freaking Brissett. I am seeking to be in the Goff and Wentz range. 

10 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

No he wouldn't. 

Why is it? If I am Dak Prescott I am not settling for being between Jimmy G and Kirk Cousins. That is what Jacoby Brissett signed for. I am Dak there is no way you can tell me I am equal to Jacoby freaking Brissett. I am seeking to be in the Goff and Wentz range. 

You do know Jacoby Brissett makes $15 mil a year year right?  $33 does not equal $15 mil.

Jimmy G is paid $27 mil/yr

Cousins is paid $28 mil a year.

QBs get paid based on projection of what other QBs will be paid in the future. Dak is still way too unproven with Cooper at WR as the only way he could even have any success.

I'd pay him $25 or let him walk.

54 minutes ago, BigBillsFan said:

You do know Jacoby Brissett makes $15 mil a year year right?  $33 does not equal $15 mil.

Jimmy G is paid $27 mil/yr

Cousins is paid $28 mil a year.

QBs get paid based on projection of what other QBs will be paid in the future. Dak is still way too unproven with Cooper at WR as the only way he could even have any success.

I'd pay him $25 or let him walk.

Sorry I misread Jacoby's full deal as his annual. 

But there is no way Dak deserves less than Jimmy G and Cousins. Dak is a franchise QB. Pay the man. 

Any QB who a team wants to commit to and re-sign has to go into the top 5 of average salary because every 3 or 4 more get done and that average soon looks outdated. Remember just two summers ago the consternation when Derek Carr was briefly the best paid QB in football? Yea... he is now 11th best paid. Dak should go into that Goff and Wentz market and that is top 5 now but both Mahomes and Watson are going to outstrip that this year and then Josh Allen, Lamar Jackson and possibly Mayfield and Darnold will next year too. Paying Dak $33m per year by the start of 2021 will look a bargain and will be borderline top 10 money. Which is exactly what Dak is.

Edited by GunnerBill

On 2/3/2020 at 4:16 AM, BigBillsFan said:

Here's the truth about Mahomes... his scheme makes up for his deficiencies. Reid built that team around athleticism first and playmakers, not precise route-running. Mahomes is not and will never be Brees.

It works because the coach made it work. He saw in Mahomes what he could do and knew that was his guy.

Mahomes on the Bengals would suck, a "bust" if you will.

That's why drafts aren't as important as GMs and coaches with a vision. You can take a 6th round QB and figure him out in NE, or Big Ben and let him ride along a running attack. Montana under Reeves wouldn't have been Montana, etc..

GMs and coaches that have a vision are the real keys for success.

Mahomes would have played well wherever he was drafted, as would all ELITE!!!! QB's. To imply otherwise suggests you're not particularly adept at understanding what you're watching. This take discounts a great deal of your Allen critique because it's so far off base.

He's in a great system with great talent, but only the BEST of the BEST put up a 50 pass TD season. Alex Smith was a decent QB and he put up 25 with the very same supporting cast.

The guy is a stud. Plain and simple.

On 2/3/2020 at 10:17 AM, BigBillsFan said:

Ok let's flip the script. He's on our team with Rick Dennison in 2017 or Daboll in 2018. How do you think that would turn out?

Now let's take Vick, your example, and he goes from 160 yards a game with the Falcons to 250 yards per game with Reid.

He took McNabb to the NFC championship for 3 years in a row. In other words Reid knew how to mold those players to what he wanted with his scheme.

My point somehow was lost in your post. I'm not saying Mahomes would be a scrub on the Rams under McVay, but he would be under Dennison/Daboll (Bills), or the Bengals. There is a bit of luck they can mentally adapt to the NFL but the GMs, schemes, and HC make the player more than the player himself when it comes to QBs.

The coach and the GM have to have a vision for the QB with players and scheme.

And yet you've set Drew Brees as the benchmark. Sean Payton is a pretty good offensive coach, eh?

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

Mahomes would have played well wherever he was drafted, as would all ELITE!!!! QB's. To imply otherwise suggests you're not particularly adept at understanding what you're watching. This take discounts a great deal of your Allen critique because it's so far off base.

He's in a great system with great talent, but only the BEST of the BEST put up a 50 pass TD season. Alex Smith was a decent QB and he put up 25 with the very same supporting cast.

The guy is a stud. Plain and simple.

And yet you've set Drew Brees as the benchmark. Sean Payton is a pretty good offensive coach, eh?

Mahomes would not have flourished under many HCs in the NFL. Being elite isn't the same as having a great coach to hide your weaknesses and push your strengths.

If you think he if was drafted under Marvin Lewis's Bengals, or Hue Jackson's Browns he'd throw 50 TDs you wouldn't understand football.

KC thought they could grab Cassell of the Pats* and make him awesome. How did that turn out?

Brees is not my benchmark for anything related to this team. I may have used him as an analogy and others have. Brees is a different animal than Allen. Allen has a higher upside but a much lower floor.

Systems, GMs, and coaching make QBs more than QBs are great by themselves. It's exceptionally rare a QB is so great that he excels the disaster of their team. If you think Teddy Bridgewater would lead many teams to 5-0 this year let me know which teams that would be.

On 2/8/2020 at 8:50 AM, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

Jerry Jones is negotiating through the press and it doesn't surprise me because he's a snake.  Create a persona of a greedy QB and hope he succumbs to public pressure to sign a team friendly deal.  How much of that contract is guaranteed?

As far as Mahomes goes, I'm going to guess 44 million a year for five years because he has a top notch agent. Maybe 165 million or so guaranteed.

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/2/2020 at 9:37 PM, NoSaint said:

Let’s hear them. 

done this year or next?

over/under:

39.5m per year 

5.5 years 

59% guaranteed

he’s going to be a wealthy young man.

To play a game ? man talk about some messed up priority's IMHO !!

2 minutes ago, Jaraxxus said:

Boom goes their salary cap.

Oh for sure, but after that Cousins deal and the push Dak is Making for $30M all guaranteed... Mahomes is light-years better ... I think he gets an ungodly deal.

Not saying it's smart, but I think it'll happen

5 hours ago, BigBillsFan said:

Mahomes would not have flourished under many HCs in the NFL. Being elite isn't the same as having a great coach to hide your weaknesses and push your strengths.

If you think he if was drafted under Marvin Lewis's Bengals, or Hue Jackson's Browns he'd throw 50 TDs you wouldn't understand football.

KC thought they could grab Cassell of the Pats* and make him awesome. How did that turn out?

Brees is not my benchmark for anything related to this team. I may have used him as an analogy and others have. Brees is a different animal than Allen. Allen has a higher upside but a much lower floor.

Systems, GMs, and coaching make QBs more than QBs are great by themselves. It's exceptionally rare a QB is so great that he excels the disaster of their team. If you think Teddy Bridgewater would lead many teams to 5-0 this year let me know which teams that would be.

Teddy Bridgewater and Matt Cassel are not even comparable in terms of talent to Patrick Mahomes. They are not even in the ballpark. Systems and GMs and coaching are really important in in getting the best out of talent. They can make elite talent look all-world which is what KC have done for Mahomes. But he would still be elite without it. They can also make an average QB look better than average - which is what Sean Payton did for Bridgewater for example.

I completely reject this theory that has started to creep into the thinking on this board the past year or so that any moderately highly rated draft prospect comes into the league as the same and the ones who get well coached go on to be good and the ones that get badly coached fail. Guys come into the league at very different points and their potential at that point is also different.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Jaraxxus said:

Boom goes their salary cap.

The salary cap goes up every year. Okay, a new CBA is an unknown in that but the cap has consistently gone up $10-12m a year since 2014. You sign your QB to what appears a "massive" deal in any one year and within two years time it never looks that way. Sign Mahomes to $40m a year now..... it looks a huge chunk of your cap. Add $25m per year to the cap over the next two years and it looks more manageable by 2022.

Yes, the Chiefs will have to release some talent. That is the way paying a top flight QB works. But you can still win that way.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1