New CBA to be voted on will include 17 weeks

I am not sure how I like 17 games.  I love the 16-game records and the math that is locked in with that.  I also do not like it if it is uneven.  Not sure if there has been anything set in stone regarding the neutral site games for each team.

I do like the possibility of the elimination of a week or 2 or preseason and possibly starting the NFL season earlier.  I wouldnt mind an extra playoff team in each conference either.  

• Like (+1) 1

Goodell was talking this past week how the SB would earn the league 1B.  I found this article from 1 year ago about the NFL's goals:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/ct-spt-nfl-revenue-super-bowl-20190128-story.html

It's pretty audacious to go from 15B in revenue to 25B in the span of 8 years.  These television contracts are just expected to go up each time they're renegotiated, but at some point Icarus is going to fly too close to the sun.

I hate having an odd number of games. Like @May Day 10, I like the even-numbered schedule and the math that goes with it. Not that it matters, though...it's going to be 17 games no matter what, at this point.

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

A second bye week accomplishes the same extension of the season.

I’be been wondering why there isn’t more talk of shifting around the time slots so more games can be viewed live.

Today it’s 45 minutes of live action spanning 3 hours. If they could shave a little more time, use split screen for commercials. They could work in 5 or even 6 nationally televised live games per day. 

stagger the other time slots so there is always live action to hop around to. 

Closer to the red zone experience, and pulling in the fantasy football viewers who will watch football 10 or 12 hours straight if it’s there. 

20 hours ago, stuvian said:

17 games will water the sport down to the point of unrecognizability

unlike 4 preseason games?

19 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I’d say give them 3 bye weeks and do 18 regular season games. Give the league more weeks to make money but give the players more rest so they can’t complain 

that's a long season

21 hours ago, Spiderweb said:

No more games, period. It is only a blatant money grab and does nothing for the game. Player safety issues at fore front for the past decade and the NFL continues wants to expand the schedule? Good old Billionaire greed, pure and simple. Sickening.......

When you mention "Billionaire greed," are you referring to the owners only or the owners plus the players?  The players have to agree to it, so it's also greed on their part as they are getting something in return, more money among other things they want.  So if both sides are happy, why shouldn't the fans get the enjoyment of an extra week of meaningful games.

Richard Sherman can talk all he wants but ultimately it's something the majority of the players want, more money, to get  that they are giving something in return.

Do wish the article stated what the "10 things" are the players are getting in return, or at least what they are rumored to be.

3 hours ago, ALF said:

They would need all 53 players active for games 

I read on here once from someone the idea that with a 17 schedule, to keep injuries less, that each player goes a max of 16 games and has to sit out at least one game so as not to play 17.  Doesn't sound like that crazy of a suggestion.  IE: JA plays 16 games and Barkley one, that the coach picks

1 minute ago, MarkyMannn said:

I read on here once from someone the idea that with a 17 schedule, to keep injuries less, that each player goes a max of 16 games and has to sit out at least one game so as not to play 17.  Doesn't sound like that crazy of a suggestion.  IE: JA plays 16 games and Barkley one, that the coach picks

it is crazy...who backs up Barkley? Do you think teams want to sit their starter and play the backup? 

Do 6 games in London and 6 games in Mexico and do 4 games in Canada.The 4 Canadien games maybe do two in Toronto and two on the west coast of Canada.Could even go a step further and do a few games in states without teams that the n.f.l could test to see if they are worthy of expansion or relocation....

This might deserve its own thread, but, has the TV revenue bubble burst?  How much higher can this number go?  I know that football is king of the hill, but, the networks have got to have a come to Jesus moment, don't they?  No way can the next NBA CBA be so lucrative, right?  Can football be far behind?  

6 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

This might deserve its own thread, but, has the TV revenue bubble burst?  How much higher can this number go?  I know that football is king of the hill, but, the networks have got to have a come to Jesus moment, don't they?  No way can the next NBA CBA be so lucrative, right?  Can football be far behind?  

Apple TV, Amazon, Youtube...The Sunday Ticket is a big deal...Fox just paid a record amount for Thursday Night.....I thought it may slow down too but it doesn't seem to be

Just now, nucci said:

Apple TV, Amazon, Youtube...The Sunday Ticket is a big deal...Fox just paid a record amount for Thursday Night.....I thought it may slow down too but it doesn't seem to be

The more outlets it goes to the more diluted the product is for NBC, CBS, Fox; so, while new money may come in, can the same payment increases be expected from the networks?

11 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

According to the ESPN link someone provided upthread, 17 game schedule will be predicated on increase from broadcasting/streaming revenue. Sounds like if revenues are not increased by a certain amount, than the 17 game schedule is off the table. Which tells me the NFL is pretty damn certain those thresholds will be met.

21 hours ago, CorkScrewHill said:

I am fine with it but biggest concern will be how to handle some teams with extra home games .. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/02/02/report-vote-coming-soon-on-cba-with-17-game-season/

Will be a Neutral Site game.  London, Mexico City, Toronto etc  Maybe even some College Stadiums like Oklahoma City and such

18 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

The more outlets it goes to the more diluted the product is for NBC, CBS, Fox; so, while new money may come in, can the same payment increases be expected from the networks?

I'm guessing like DirecTV,  all feeds come from the network broadcasts.

3 minutes ago, nucci said:

I'm guessing like DirecTV,  all feeds come from the network broadcasts.

So, swapped money?

The feeds will continue to come from the networks, but, how much will they be willing to pay for a watered down product (less key, meaningful games on network as more games move to other platforms?  I suppose that the goose and her golden egg isn't cooked yet because those streams have some deep pockets.  

20 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

You're adding 4 weeks to the season.  Are they going to start the regular season in early August?  Maybe finish the regular season at this date and play the SB in early March?  I don't see a season expansion happening, especially not a significant one.

I’d take two preseason games away and take the season through February 

7 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

The feeds will continue to come from the networks, but, how much will they be willing to pay for a watered down product (less key, meaningful games on network as more games move to other platforms? 

I do not agree with your premise. This is just 1 more game and every game will be as important as they currently are. It will still be just a 17 game season, unlike NBA, MLB, NHL where there may be many inconsequential games.

Edited by Mr Info