Shady is inactive for the SB

Reed83HOF

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

No HC benched Gore for the postseason.  

Reid has done it to McCoy twice in a row (and replaced him with a rookie avg 3.5/carry)---in the playoffs,  including the SB.  He also benched him in the last him for the last 2 games of the regular season.  He's touched the ball once since mid-December.

Reid obviously thinks he's washed up---go tell him he's wrong.

It's not cool, because when he was inactive earlier this year, Reid said it was because he wants to keep him fresh down the stretch and "they'll need him." Now he gets benched for the playoffs... and the Super Bowl. ?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

It's not cool, because when he was inactive earlier this year, Reid said it was because he wants to keep him fresh down the stretch and "they'll need him." Now he gets benched for the playoffs... and the Super Bowl. ?

That was Reid being nice.  It seems he recognized that Shady is done and used that excuse to get some other guys touches.  

He has essentially been benched since Williams came back and has less than 5 cares since early December.  

They need him - on the bench.

• Like (+1) 1

Gore age 36 had a better than Shady at age 31. McCoy was a shifty back who when he lost that cutting ability fell off a cliff as he was unable or unwilling to take the one cut and a plow forward style runs.

Looking at abnormal long term success for backs in the NFL it appears the backs that are higher mass & utilize a one cut style last longer and are more desirable. 

• Like (+1) 3

6 hours ago, Billzgobowlin said:

I think Reid wanted Shady to be there for the playoff run.  I think we all know his skills slipped.  I hope he gets a ring because he deserves it being on our team through the bad years.

I will pretzel logic this to mean each of us holding a fan card through the drought deserves an individual ring as well. I can get behind this! :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

I agree. He wanted to go to KC to be a meaningful part of a SB team (which was probably their pitch to him) and now doesn’t get to.  Maybe there are better guys on the team, but you wonder if it is the “right” thing to do to activate a 12-year vet possible HOFer in his only SB appearance.

in this offense too, he has been effective when given the ball this year. Wouldn’t shock me that if you give him 3-4 touches, he busts off a 20-yarder. 

if KC truly believes that that 53rd guy on the roster is critical for their success, then fine. But if not, seems like they ought to get McCoy out there for his final hurrah. 

as bad as Gore looked, i guarantee he would have been active if the Bills were playing tomorrow. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

No HC benched Gore for the postseason.  

Reid has done it to McCoy twice in a row (and replaced him with a rookie avg 3.5/carry)---in the playoffs,  including the SB.  He also benched him in the last him for the last 2 games of the regular season.  He's touched the ball once since mid-December.

Reid obviously thinks he's washed up---go tell him he's wrong.

He had the flu in the previous game and was out because of that.

6 hours ago, Da webster guy said:

Never saw the upside of limiting a roster to less than 60.   This is a perfect example of why.  

If KC gets a nice lead and wants to bring in a popular vet like Shady for a few touches they should be able to.  53 isn't enough.

It would also help to develop young players, sometimes a blowout happens or guys get hurt and if there were deeper rosters it would benefit everyone.

Is McCoy popular in KC?

10 hours ago, Limeaid said:

He plays for Saints who are not playing so he is hardly 'inactive" although would be on IR if Saints were in Superbowl since he tore his ACL again.

Don Beebe was replaced by practice squad player in his last Superbowl who never got on the field.

Getting old hurts.

But didn’t he score a TD in the Super Bowl before?

7 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

I think it's a mistake.  Shady is one of the best pass blocking RBs I've ever seen and if Damien Williams gets hurt...

McCoy didn't have many carries this season but made good use the ones he did get.  4.6ypc 

I think Reid knows what he's doing there. 

McCoy was running well earlier in the season, and racking up the YPC - 8.1, 2.1, 6.8, 5.1, 5.5, 5.3.

But in his most recent 6 games it was 4.4, 3.0, 4.1, 2.0, 3.6, 2.7

At a guess, he's either dinged up and working through something, or just worn out.  It was said he was sick for the AFC Championship, but he was a healthy scratch the previous week. 

We'll see - it's just a report at this point.

17 hours ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

For real? That’s a real slap in the face.

Activate a nobody backup interior d-lineman who everyone knows won’t play, over a possible HOF RB who can actually get you some good touches?

Everyone knows the DL won’t play.....yeah not really.   Might not show up on your fantasy team stats but that is it what wins NFL games.  It is not some kind of lifetime achievement entitlement to be active.   You do every single thing to win the SB when you are in it and leave emotions out.   

18 hours ago, Steptide said:

He's obviously not what he once was, but I think both superbowl teams should be allowed to have all 53 players active. 

This, I fully agree with. As a matter of fact, this is one of those NFL things that makes no sense at all to me. Why do they not allow the full roster to dress and play? What logic am I missing here?

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Maybe the Bills don’t make the playoffs with McCoy on the team instead of Gore.

People seem to forget Gore running effectively and pounding out first downs late in a couple of close wins.  I understand he had nothing left later in the season and I have no interest in him being on the team next season, but he was a valuable contributor during the team's fast start in 2019.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1