Jordan Reed (worth a shot?)

BeastMode54

7 hours ago, BeastMode54 said:

He might be cleared for the 2020 season. Guy has a ton of talent and could probably be had on a prove it deal. We could release Kroft then too, as they are both injury prone but Reed has much more upside. Thoughts?

My thoughts are this...

Knox and Sweeney are #2 and #3.  They could both end up being #1 and #2 (and that would be great).  We get $5 M in cap space by cutting Kroft with minimal cap hit.  If we can upgrade Kroft or need the cap space I would cut him.  We aren't going to need the cap space but I would like to upgrade the TE position.

I think Reed could be had at a great bargain and slot him into our #4 TE spot.  If he comes back strong its great, if not, nothing lost.

I am not big on spending a lot in FA for premium prices.  But, I would like it IF we could sign Austin Hooper or Hunter Henry for $10 M/year for 3-4 and front load  the contract.  

Signing Reed a good deal would fit in well with that plan.

1.  Hooper or Henry

2.  Dawson Know

3.  Tommy Sweeney

4.  Jordan Reed

With an injury in TC we are still all set to go into 2020.

Edited by Manther
spelling

3 hours ago, Buffarukus said:

not getting the reasoning for all the TE threads. we drafted two and picked TWO up in fa.

Yes.  And the rookies, especially Knox, performed better than expected, but that's not to say "as well as we really need".

How did the FA perform, especially Kroft (who is #16 paid TE in AAV)

. i guess we can say the fas were let downs, but te is not a spot that i think we desperately need to address or take a crazy risk on olson or reed for.

by all accounts we have a great coaching staff, so lets let them do thier jobs and develope the talent that is showing no signs of bust.

Watch Kittle and Kelce tomorrow and ask yourself what a player like either of those (or even closer to either of those) would do for the Bills.

I don't want to take a crazy risk on Olson or Reed, but IMO TE is an important spot and a really reliable well-rounded TE (or 3) is too important to Josh and the Bills success to "hope for the best" that our rookies will develop.  I don't want to sound like I'm knocking on Knox either - I really like much of what he showed.  But he led TE across the league in drops, and he whiffed on some critical blocks.  Maybe he'll get locked-in and also take a step in blocking technique - I hope so, as he seems like a really good guy, want him to succeed.  But in any event, we would benefit by having more than one really good all-around TE.

I think the Bills should treat the position accordingly.

41 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

lol yeah instead of looking at good tight ends just get that guy a hand transplant.

Have you watched his targets?  He doesn't need a hand transplant, he needs eye discipline and an attention span.  The tough catches, he hauls in.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yes.  And the rookies, especially Knox, performed better than expected, but that's not to say "as well as we really need".

Watch Kittle and Kelce tomorrow and ask yourself what a player like either of those (or even closer to either of those) would do for the Bills.

I don't want to take a crazy risk on Olson or Reed, but IMO TE is an important spot and a really reliable well-rounded TE (or 3) is too important to Josh and the Bills success to "hope for the best" that our rookies will develop.  I don't want to sound like I'm knocking on Knox either - I really like much of what he showed.  But he led TE across the league in drops, and he whiffed on some critical blocks.  Maybe he'll get locked-in and also take a step in blocking technique - I hope so, as he seems like a really good guy, want him to succeed.  But in any event, we would benefit by having more than one really good all-around TE.

Have you watched his targets?  He doesn't need a hand transplant, he needs eye discipline and an attention span.  The tough catches, he hauls in.

Agreed.  More than half of his drops were when he tried to run and turn before he caught the ball.  He will get better.  He did make some excellent, tough catches.  But, I would like to see us add a top notch TE.  Josh needs all the weapons he can get NOW (for many reasons).  Sign Henry or Hooper.   If Knox becomes the #1 #1A TE, great and I hope and think he will.  Sign Henry  or Hunter to a 3 to 4 year contract at $10-12 M/year.  Front load as much as your can.  And, you have Knox with 3 more years on his Rookie deal.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 2/1/2020 at 12:11 PM, BeastMode54 said:

He might be cleared for the 2020 season. Guy has a ton of talent and could probably be had on a prove it deal. We could release Kroft then too, as they are both injury prone but Reed has much more upside. Thoughts?

No

20 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

couple good points here.

Bills would do well to have 3 solid TEs. and one very good one to get the majority of reps.
If you can improve the position via FA ? It should be bonafide. Hooper and Hunter are those types imo.
Probably can draft Smiths replacement, even he is PS material 1st year.
and if FA does not workout. Let McBeanes work their magic and find us one gem from the draft. 

Still not sure about Kroft. Have to trust the process.
But Knox and Sweeney are going to be fine players for the Bills and Josh Allen.  I do feel confident about that

On 2/1/2020 at 12:11 PM, BeastMode54 said:

So drop an a guy who is an injury risk for a guy with an even worse track record of being injured? He had talent years ago but injuries likely wiped most of that away from him imo.