Super Bowl Pregame Thread: KC vs SF

2 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Ignore the stats.  There was a big difference in the production of the 49er front four when they were all healthy.

That’s the game....if the pass rush gets to Mahomes, SF wins.  If they don’t, KC will.

The Titans have no passing game.  Jimmy G has some weapons.

Jimmy G is Alex Smith 2.0. The Chiefs will shut down his run game and he isn't enough to win a SB.

1 hour ago, Zerovoltz said:

KC by double digits.

SF had ZERO sacks this year on plays where the offense used pre snap motion.  KC runs ALOT of pre snap motion.  

SF also had the 32nd ranked red zone D in the league.  

KC actually gave up fewer points than the miners did this year.  

People talk all like this 49er D is some all time great unit.  It’s not.  

Pat Mahomes.

Zero, as someone who emphatically does NOT want to see KC win by double digits, you can not imagine the relaxation I felt upon reading your prediction. :beer:

I would actually like to see Reid get a win...but something like 17 KC (with a defensive TD) - 16 49ers (with a missed 2 point conversion and a miss on a last minute FG) would suit me perfectly. 

If I can't have that, I'd be happy with 49ers win in a rout.

Yes, tis true that KC gave up fewer points....but by how many points?  :P

18 minutes ago, stuvian said:

if the Chiefs D can shut down the Titans run game they can shut down Mostert. If Coleman plays it will be as a decoy only. I think the Chiefs win by 14

Well, I could be incorrect....but I think the 49ers run game is a bit of a different beast than the Titans run game, as far as the type of run plays they execute.

1 hour ago, Zerovoltz said:

KC by double digits.

SF had ZERO sacks this year on plays where the offense used pre snap motion.  KC runs ALOT of pre snap motion.  

Pat Mahomes.

The 49ers did not have the lowest ranked red zone defense. Quit making ***** up.

49ers allowed only 40 red zone attempts, 2nd in NFL. Chiefs were 25th with 57 allowed. 49ers allowed 5 less red zone tds than the Chiefs as well. The only thing the Chiefs were better at was %, they were 9th and 9ers were 23rd. 

SF offense scored more points than KC.

None of this tells us who wins. It should be a good game. No need to make stuff up.

53 minutes ago, stuvian said:

Jimmy G is Alex Smith 2.0. The Chiefs will shut down his run game and he isn't enough to win a SB.

Welp, that’ll certainly be KCs strategy so it’ll be fun to watch to find out if JG can rise to the occasion.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Zero, as someone who emphatically does NOT want to see KC win by double digits, you can not imagine the relaxation I felt upon reading your prediction. :beer:

I would actually like to see Reid get a win...but something like 17 KC (with a defensive TD) - 16 49ers (with a missed 2 point conversion and a miss on a last minute FG) would suit me perfectly. 

If I can't have that, I'd be happy with 49ers win in a rout.

Yes, tis true that KC gave up fewer points....but by how many points?  :P

Well, I could be incorrect....but I think the 49ers run game is a bit of a different beast than the Titans run game, as far as the type of run plays they execute.

Like I said earlier,  49ers run game is on the edge, totally different from the Titans.  I think they will give KC problems. 

2 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Ignore the stats.  There was a big difference in the production of the 49er front four when they were all healthy.

That’s the game....if the pass rush gets to Mahomes, SF wins.  If they don’t, KC will.

The Titans have no passing game.  Jimmy G has some weapons.

Mahomes in his 4 post season games thus far:

89/142  62.7%  for 1188 Yards passing, 7.7 YPA ....11 TD, 0 INTS  297 Yards per game.  and throw in 2 rushing TD on top of that.

He's not losing this game.  I know that sounds biased and arrogant......but having watched every game of his career....he's a unicorn.  

2 hours ago, Zerovoltz said:

Mahomes in his 4 post season games thus far:

89/142  62.7%  for 1188 Yards passing, 7.7 YPA ....11 TD, 0 INTS  297 Yards per game.  and throw in 2 rushing TD on top of that.

He's not losing this game.  I know that sounds biased and arrogant......but having watched every game of his career....he's a unicorn.  

I like when people add "Having watched every game" like it means anything.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Zerovoltz said:

KC by double digits.

Pat Mahomes.

KC can’t stop the run to save their collective gourds. SF decimates even good run defenses.

KC better score every time they have the ball.

9 hours ago, Zerovoltz said:

I know that sounds biased and arrogant 

Why break stride at this point? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

SF will never have a lead that is safe, even w/ that D.  If KC gets a 2 score lead, it's a different story - I don't think the Niners will fare well if they have to come back & put the game on Jimmy's arm.

I think that will be how it will play out, too.  Reid has really been focusing on getting KC off to a quicker start.  I don't think the game will be all that close.

Regardless, it's kind of a joyous thing to wake up and not worry about the Patriots playing. It's been said a million times this week, but their absence is glorious. 

• Like (+1) 1

I think KC's slow starts the last 2 games, if present today, might come back to bite them as this 49ers defense seems to smell blood in the water when they get up on teams.  Additionally, KC is loaded with O skill players but I think the KC D is the biggest question mark.  If the KC D struggles even a little against the 49ers explosive running game and the KC gets down maybe 10 or so points, it could be a long night for KC.

34 minutes ago, Johnnycage46 said:

I think KC's slow starts the last 2 games, if present today, might come back to bite them as this 49ers defense seems to smell blood in the water when they get up on teams.  Additionally, KC is loaded with O skill players but I think the KC D is the biggest question mark.  If the KC D struggles even a little against the 49ers explosive running game and the KC gets down maybe 10 or so points, it could be a long night for KC.

...NEVER thought I'd see them hold Henry to 69 yds though..........

• Like (+1) 2

42 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

That is a very fair point. 

EDIT:  I also had to look that up as I couldn't believe it was that low.  I watched the AFCC in its entirety and for whatever reason I had thought they "contained" him but he ended up with over 100 or so (maybe the beer killed those brain cells responsible for remembering that part of the game lol).  69 yards after what Henry had done the previous 4 or 5 games is amazing.

Edited by Johnnycage46

2 minutes ago, Johnnycage46 said:

That is a very fair point. 

EDIT:  I also had to look that up as I couldn't believe it was that low.  I watched the AFCC in its entirety and for whatever reason I thought they "contained" him but he ended up with over 100 or so.  69 yards after what Henry had done the previous 4 or 5 games is amazing.

...just not sure WHICH KC run defense shows up......

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

Imo they were able to do that because they didn’t fear Tannehill beating him with his arm so they stacked the box and committed to stopping Henry. They will not be able to do that to the same degree today imo, and SF’s run game is more diversified 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Imo they were able to do that because they didn’t fear Tannehill beating him with his arm so they stacked the box and committed to stopping Henry. They will not be able to do that to the same degree today imo, and SF’s run game is more diversified 

...should they then fear Jimmy G beating them with his arm?......

45 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...should they then fear Jimmy G beating them with his arm?......

I don’t know, I guess we will see. The niner passing offense is better than Tennessee’s statistically (13th vs 21st). SF’s total offense is ranked higher than KC’s. If I’m KC I’m worried about the speed of the RBs on the 2nd level with their LBs, and that I think Kittle is a size mismatch for the honey badger. SF DL is going to be a bit of an issue for KC OL imo if KC can’t run the ball and has the throw. Reid also loves to throw no what. SF run D has been susceptible at times this season but if they can just tee off on mahomes could be an issue 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

If KC can slow down SF's run game and make it so it's Garappolo vs. Mahomes, I'd take Mahomes and KC all day. If they can't slow down that run game and SF is able to keep Mahomes off the field with long drives then it might be SF. I say might be because KC can score a bunch in a short time span. Should be a good game either way.