Super Bowl Menu: The Most Important Thread of the Year

56 minutes ago, Augie said:

Perfect! You understand that the Super Bowl is not just a GAME, it’s a DAY. We are invited to a friends about 30 minutes away with no traffic (it has taken as much as 1 hour 45 minutes with Atlanta traffic).  Any way,  when we asked about the time the wife said “well the game starts at 6:30, so come at 6:00”.  We’ve all gone to some trouble as far as food and drink, and I’d like to be able to graze and enjoy for much of Super Bowl Day. Thirty minutes before kickoff barely gives you time to get your food set up and grab a beverage. 

If it’s at my house I’d say be there at least by 5:00 if you can, but feel free to come any time after noon or so.  I was wondering if that was just me....

I’m with you. I had a lot of work to do this morning to get ready but I’m almost done. Once I’m done I’d just assume people come over

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Augie said:

Perfect! You understand that the Super Bowl is not just a GAME, it’s a DAY. We are invited to a friends about 30 minutes away with no traffic (it has taken as much as 1 hour 45 minutes with Atlanta traffic).  Any way,  when we asked about the time the wife said “well the game starts at 6:30, so come at 6:00”.  We’ve all gone to some trouble as far as food and drink, and I’d like to be able to graze and enjoy for much of Super Bowl Day. Thirty minutes before kickoff barely gives you time to get your food set up and grab a beverage. 

If it’s at my house I’d say be there at least by 5:00 if you can, but feel free to come any time after noon or so.  I was wondering if that was just me....

I hate people arriving late as I have done a lot of work & like to have things set up & out & can talk & relax.  I told people 5:00, but know some will show up around kickoff.... 

Funny too some people want to listen to commentary, which is okay, but not important.  I like the commercials & halftime will be interesting.

And to think my 59" TV seems small today..... Believe it or not all my friends have smaller.....

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Augie said:

Agreed. 4:30 or 5 Is ideal. 

guess when the party we are going to tonight starts? 6:15. 

• Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

Agreed. 4:30 or 5 Is ideal. 

guess when the party we are going to tonight starts? 6:15. 

If it goes to OT you are screwed! I’m sure the invitation was only for four quarters. “Have to get up early tomorrow so everybody OUT!”

28 minutes ago, wagon127 said:

Im making pizza subs. What is the best way to make sure the pepperoni curls up? Ive tried googling it, and they seem to just debate what is better on pizza. Can anybody help with this?

What type of pepperoni do you have. Margherita  pepperoni is great for cupping. Pre sliced pepperoni like Hormel, won’t cup no matter what you do.

Certain pepperonis like Margherita have a casing that will cup when cooked. Look for a stick pepperoni you slice yourself. You want the slices to be about 1/8 inch thick so the slice can cup.  This cupping allows the grease to collect and, if you are like me, you love it when the edges get a little burnt.

there are a few other pepperoni that will cup. One is called Enzo. I am not sure at the grocery store which ones are available. 

For cooking just put the pepperoni on last on very top when you bake the sub. They should cup up good. You can do a little pre cook on the sliced pepperoni in a cast iron skillet using olive oil or vegetable oil just to help surface not stick to pep. Then out pep on the sub. Only thing I don’t like about that approach is you lose some of the grease that natural come out the pep and soaks into the sub.

Edited by atlbillsfan1975
  • Thank you (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

What type of pepperoni do you have. Margherita  pepperoni is great for cupping. Pre sliced pepperoni like Hormel, won’t cup no matter what you do.

Certain pepperonis like Margherita have a casing that will cup when cooked. Look for a stick pepperoni you slice yourself. You want the slices to be about 1/8 inch thick so the slice can cup.  This cupping allows the grease to collect and, if you are like me, you love it when the edges get a little burnt.

there are a few other pepperoni that will cup. One is called Enzo. I am not sure at the grocery store which ones are available. 

For cooking just put the pepperoni on last on very top when you bake the sub. They should cup up good. You can do a little pre cook on the sliced pepperoni in a cast iron skillet using olive oil or vegetable oil just to help surface not stick to pep. Then out pep on the sub. Only thing I don’t like about that approach is you lose some of the grease that natural come out the pep and soaks into the sub.

Its a wegmans brand, its not presliced. So i should have some room to work with. Im going to do some trial and error, with precooking, worried about it taking too long and burning the sub.

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/1/2020 at 12:08 PM, Gugny said:

It's a completely different taste than a homemade chili (mine, anyway).  But it's got its place and it does taste very good, in my opinion.  Perfect for chili cheese fries.  Hormel's is good.  It's just meat and beans; nothing fancy.  Campbell's makes a hearty chili which is also very good.

Think of it like a cheap frozen pizza.  Not as good as your favorite pizza joint, but in some scenarios, it hits the spot and is perfect.

After being gone from home for 4 months...I got myself hooked on Mary's kitchen corned beef hash with fried eggs...only on weekends..very high in fat..but it tastes so good.enjoy the game Gug..I have little interest since I don't like either team.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, twist_to_open said:

I have a sports bar right across the street from me, they're having KC BBQ chicken, pulled pork topped tater tots, Buffalo chicken dip, dogs, sliders and sides, seeing how I took tomorrow off, I'll be there gorging with a pitcher of draft beer with friends.

That sounds fun (and easy). I wish I had tomorrow off! 

How long before the game would you order some pizza and wings if you wanted it by the end of the first quarter?

The idea is to potentially avoid the mad rush right before the game at the cost of missing some of it.  The caveat is that I live 1min away from the pizza place so I won't miss that much play time.  

21 minutes ago, Capco said:

How long before the game would you order some pizza and wings if you wanted it by the end of the first quarter?

The idea is to potentially avoid the mad rush right before the game at the cost of missing some of it.  The caveat is that I live 1min away from the pizza place so I won't miss that much play time.  

I would call and ask how long it would be for your order and plan accordingly, they may be busy all night 

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I would call and ask how long it would be for your order and plan accordingly, they may be busy all night 

I just called and they said 40 minutes, so that kinda worked out perfect!  Thanks Yolo.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I hate people arriving late as I have done a lot of work & like to have things set up & out & can talk & relax.  I told people 5:00, but know some will show up around kickoff.... 

Funny too some people want to listen to commentary, which is okay, but not important.  I like the commercials & halftime will be interesting.

And to think my 59" TV seems small today..... Believe it or not all my friends have smaller.....

Yep 6:00 & no one here.... Ughh