Super Bowl Menu: The Most Important Thread of the Year

I did not see it anywhere yet, so I apologize if it’s there. We are 1 day out from the big game and TBD has always been a great place to talk food.

I got roped into hosting the Super Bowl Party this year. It is probably somewhere between 15 to 20 people. I’m going to make this as the main dish: Roast Pork Dip Sanwich. It is fantastic but a fair amount of work. Will do some rosemary roasted potatoes, salad and grilled vegetables to go along with it.

We will also have taco dip, hummus, cheese, crackers, pepperoni, olives, sundries tomatoes, bacon-wrapped jalapeños, grilled wings, and of course, king cake for dessert. 

In terms of the drinks, every couple is bringing a bottle of wine and a good 6 pack. I’ll have booze and a couple of cases of “drinking beers.” 

What do you guys have planned for tomorrow night???

• Like (+1) 5

Homemade Jalapeno Poppershttps://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/20858/best-ever-jalapeno-poppers/ - I've made them before and this recipe is solid.

Chicken wing dip - using real chicken breast and not canned.  ALWAYS used canned and went to make some a few months ago and realized I was out of canned chicken.  Threw a couple breasts into the oven and man .... what a significant difference.  Once you go real, you never go back!

Chili/Cheese fries. - Gonna use the canned Hormel chili.  It's just perfect for chili cheese fries and will cut down on time.

Beef on Weck - Not gonna actually do a roast and slice it.  Just gonna go to the deli and get some of their best roast beef sliced more thickly than I'd get if it were for regular sandwiches.  But the salt and caraway seeds are ready to "roll!"  

Pizza - I am going back and forth on this one.  Every year, I miss commercials and parts of the game because I'm busy in the kitchen.  Every year, I say, "I'm ordering pizzas next year."  Every year, I end up making two pizzas and missing commercials and parts of the game.  I think I'll stick to my original thought and just order a pie or two.  But I DO have enough of that pepperoni left to do cup and char ............... hmmm ............

Beverages - I'll grab a 12-pack of Sierra Nevada Torpedos and an 18-pack of Labatt Light.  Start with the high octane, then settle down with the Labatt's.  

Cheers!!!!!!

Edited by Gugny
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

My Annual “I put way too much time into this every year” Super Bowl weekend menu ?
~Representing Kansas City: Smoked Brisket Burnt Ends, KC BBQ Spare Ribs, KC BBQ chips, KC Ice Water” cocktail (these are sooo good)
~Representing San Francisco: Peet’s Coffee (Berkeley), Cioppino, SF Sourdough, Rice-a-Roni, Anchor Steam beer,  J Lohr Paso Robles Cab (Santa Clara), Giardelli Black & Tan Sundaes
~Representing the host city of Miami: Cubano Minis, Joe’s Stone Crab recipe Key Lime Martini  

My excitement over not having to find new ways to make New England cuisine again has been palpable ???

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

For the first time in forever, it's just the wife and I. In fact, I don't ever remember a time where I've watched the Superbowl with less than 10 people. 

We're having a lighter menu as a result, but I'm still looking forward to it. 

Our late breakfast will be the wife's favorite: A BLT sanwich with chive cream cheese on a bagel.

Apps around 3:00 are limited this year to a Mediterranean hummus dip with pita Chips and the classic pigs in a blanket. (Of course, we'll have plenty of bison dip with potato chips too)

Dinner at kickoff is chicken fingers subs made from scratch. The hotsauce is a medium blend of a Duffs win sauce that we've  doctored up. And obviously, they'll be served on Costanza sub rolls. 

Dessert at the half will be a pudding infused banana waffer cake complete with Nilla dippers. 

Bone Apple Tea. 

Edit: Forgot to mention that tomorrow will be the ceremonial end to a "Dry January" where I'll undoubtedly be fixing to make up for lost time. Stella, I've missed you, sweetheart!

Edited by EmotionallyUnstable
Forgot Drinks!
  • Like (+1) 4

Heading to a party at friends' -- they will do it up right.  He competes in BBQ competitions so I know the proteins will be solid.  We'll bring a side -- my wife makes fantastic deviled eggs and I've got a couple of mini helmets to "decorate" the platter.  We'll also bring wine.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

I have never had canned chili and it scares me. Is this actually good/edible? 

It's a completely different taste than a homemade chili (mine, anyway).  But it's got its place and it does taste very good, in my opinion.  Perfect for chili cheese fries.  Hormel's is good.  It's just meat and beans; nothing fancy.  Campbell's makes a hearty chili which is also very good.

Think of it like a cheap frozen pizza.  Not as good as your favorite pizza joint, but in some scenarios, it hits the spot and is perfect.

Edited by Gugny
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

My Annual “I put way too much time into this every year” Super Bowl weekend menu ?
~Representing Kansas City: Smoked Brisket Burnt Ends, KC BBQ Spare Ribs, KC BBQ chips, KC Ice Water” cocktail (these are sooo good)
~Representing San Francisco: Peet’s Coffee (Berkeley), Cioppino, SF Sourdough, Rice-a-Roni, Anchor Steam beer,  J Lohr Paso Robles Cab (Santa Clara), Giardelli Black & Tan Sundaes
~Representing the host city of Miami: Cubano Minis, Joe’s Stone Crab recipe Key Lime Martini  

My excitement over not having to find new ways to make New England cuisine again has been palpable ???

KC Ice Water cocktail? 

8 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

I have never had canned chili and it scares me. Is this actually good/edible? 

I thought of you first when I saw this thread! I was hoping somehow you would not stumble across it, deepening your angst. Once again, my condolences on your “party situation”. 

We are going to friends, so I’m just getting some Boars Head roast beef from the deli and making some weck. Most people have never heard of it, so it’s interesting at least. 

I’ll also have beverages in tow, of course.

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

Homemade Jalapeno Poppershttps://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/20858/best-ever-jalapeno-poppers/ - I've made them before and this recipe is solid.

Chicken wing dip - using real chicken breast and not canned.  ALWAYS used canned and went to make some a few months ago and realized I was out of canned chicken.  Threw a couple breasts into the oven and man .... what a significant difference.  Once you go real, you never go back!

Chili/Cheese fries. - Gonna use the canned Hormel chili.  It's just perfect for chili cheese fries and will cut down on time.

Beef on Weck - Not gonna actually do a roast and slice it.  Just gonna go to the deli and get some of their best roast beef sliced more thickly than I'd get if it were for regular sandwiches.  But the salt and caraway seeds are ready to "roll!"  

Pizza - I am going back and forth on this one.  Every year, I miss commercials and parts of the game because I'm busy in the kitchen.  Every year, I say, "I'm ordering pizzas next year."  Every year, I end up making two pizzas and missing commercials and parts of the game.  I think I'll stick to my original thought and just order a pie or two.  But I DO have enough of that pepperoni left to do cup and char ............... hmmm ............

Beverages - I'll grab a 12-pack of Sierra Nevada Torpedos and an 18-pack of Labatt Light.  Start with the high octane, then settle down with the Labatt's.  

Cheers!!!!!!

Best quick way to make homemade Beef on Weck. We'll use this method for lunches at home when we get a craving. Just don't forget the horseradish or you effed up

• Like (+1) 1

As you may recall from my thread on off the wall, we are heading to a dead-end super bowl party, but we are going to bring these items to the party:

1) bacon-wrapped and brown sugar coated cocktail dogs

2) baked jalapeño poppers

3) baking sheet loaded nachos 

4) my 8-year old is making a dessert fruit pizza too. 

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

I thought of you first when I saw this thread! I was hoping somehow you would not stumble across it, deepening your angst. Once again, my condolences on your “party situation”. 

We are going to friends, so I’m just getting some Boars Head roast beef from the deli and making some weck. Most people have never heard of it, so it’s interesting at least. 

I did some more due diligence and the party is looking more and more bleak food-wise.

2 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

As you may recall from my thread on off the wall, we are heading to a dead-end super bowl party, but we are going to bring these items to the party:

1) bacon-wrapped and brown sugar coated cocktail dogs

2) baked jalapeño poppers

3) baking sheet loaded nachos 

4) my 8-year old is making a dessert fruit pizza too. 

I did some more due diligence and the party is looking more and more bleak food-wise.

Look at it this way.....your odds of food poisoning or a serious hangover are minimal! :)

• Haha (+1) 1

This thread is making me really really hungry.

We are going over to a friend's place and taking mild chicken dip, crackers and buffalo chicken dip (store bought, sorry)

The hosts and other guests haven't shared what they are bringing but I am afraid most of them are lazy and will bring some Costco frozen stuff. 

• Haha (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

KC Ice Water cocktail? 

I wondered about that myself

15 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

This thread is making me really really hungry.

We are going over to a friend's place and taking mild chicken dip, crackers and buffalo chicken dip (store bought, sorry)

The hosts and other guests haven't shared what they are bringing but I am afraid most of them are lazy and will bring some Costco frozen stuff. 

Complains the man who acknowledges plans to bring store bought chicken dip and crackers

• Haha (+1) 2