How fast is Josh Allen and can he get faster?

12 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

One of the things that frustrates me in some of the designed run plays we call for him is that at times, it appears to me that he's a step slow behind his blockers and a player with quicker acceleration (*cough* Motor *cough*) would hit the hole faster and be more elusive.  There's a reason why big TE guys don't play running back often

This. He's fast. He's not particularly quick. Designed QB runs generally require the element of surprise or a really quick QB. Opposing D's will never lose sight of Allen as a runner, so the element of surprise won't be there. Total waste of plays.

9 hours ago, Billl said:

Mahomes and Allen are similar runners. 

Eh. I think Allen is a much better runner than Mahomes personally, but the similarity may be there and I don't disagree with the rest of your post.

Edited by LSHMEAB

On 2/1/2020 at 1:32 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That absolutely makes sense, and jibes with my comment about why TE don't commonly get used as RB on designed runs between the tackles.  He needs quick acceleration to get to the hole just behind his blockers and it often seems mis-timed to me (he doesn't get there quick enough).  That initial burst acceleration *might* be something that could be honed a bit.

Know with whom/where that interview was or got a link? Like to give it a listen

Off top of my head I don't remember when or where it was that I seen it. It was just in one of the interviews when they were talking about  why is 40 times seemed a lot slower than what he look like on the field

On 2/1/2020 at 3:06 AM, transplantbillsfan said:

Josh Allen obviously isn't Lamar Jackson or Mike Vick in terms of speed specifically, but Allen was clocked in at a 4.75 at the Combine.

Here's a list of QBs who ran faster than 4.75 at the combine:

Derek Carr

Blaine Gabbert

Marcus Mariota 

Andrew Luck

Mitchell Trubisky 

Ben Roethlisberger had the same time.

I challenge folks to watch these 2 highlight videos and focus solely on his "breakaway runs." 

Personally, I see him running with and even outrunning DBs frequently.

We all know Jerry Rice was clocked at 4.7 and that simply wasn't his game speed. His game speed was more like 4.5 or 4.4.

So how about Josh once the pads go on? Does he look faster than any/all the guys mentioned above?

What about Aaron Rodgers?

What about Russell Wilson?

And finally... can players train and get faster? Is it possible that's what actually happened between the Combine and the 2018 season or was it just "pajama speed" vs "pad speed?"

He looks considerably faster than 4.75 to me

2 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I think he's going to be a beast, honestly.

That's really where the Bills are overall. 

We need to see 3 or 4 of our young players take a step - less fumbles and drops from Motor, far fewer drops and better blocks from Knox, improvement from Ford.

They all have potential to be beasts, *if only*

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That's really where the Bills are overall. 

We need to see 3 or 4 of our young players take a step - less fumbles and drops from Motor, far fewer drops and better blocks from Knox, improvement from Ford.

They all have potential to be beasts, *if only*

Ford is the one I worry about the most.

I honestly think Knox and Motor take big steps this offseason. Both came from relatively small college stages and Knox got very little in game practice catching the football.

11 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I am nowhere near giving up on Dawson Knox.  He showed a lot of potential, imho.

Me neither but right now he needs to be number 2 on the depth chart and I hope its behind Greg Olsen.

What a great mentor he would make for the Bills young TE`s Knox and Sweeney.

I am hoping Allen gets better not faster. He needs to improve his pocket awareness, reading defenses and having a better judgement in knowing where to go with the ball. He is fast enough but I want to see him become a better all around QB. If he does then the Bills will be able to make some serious noise and compete for a Super Bowl.

He can evade and move around well.   That is his best attribute.   He needs to improve processing, getting the ball out on time and accurately.  Running speed is way way down.   But you can improve in lots of areas but this is not the right place to focus.  

I appreciate the question but running faster is not a main concern for me.  Running smarter is.  Primarily with when it's a good idea to take chances with regard to ball security and taking on tacklers.  He might run over DBs but taking an illegal headshot ruins that thinking.  Running tall exposes the ball, making it a focused effort of the defenders.   He does slide when it makes sense but his idea of when to take risks needs an adjustment.   

As for the rest, he is way faster than most all the exhausted pass rushers whom he can easily avoid one on one.  About the time the LBs start to track him, he kicks it into another gear and all of a sudden their persuit angle is wrong (Barr, Kiko, etc.) but he needs some distance between him and them to allow it to happen.  I hope he never looks like a slow pitch softball first baseman ala Roethlisberger, but it's probably inevitable.  Just hope that the rest of his game is topnotch to compensate.

Thought it was worth revisiting this thread with this find.

It's a Bleacher Report story written about Allen prior to the 2017 draft, for which he considered coming out (then didn't).

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2708976-josh-allen-may-be-a-no-1-nfl-draft-pick-and-the-franchise-qb-your-team-needs

In it, Allen's college coach Craig Bohl repeatedly refers to Allen as running a 4.6 second 40.  At the start of the article it references a 4.61 40.

So evidently Allen's performance of 4.75 sec 40 at the Combine did not represent close to a number he'd turned in previously at Wyo.

The thing about big guys like Josh is that he's going faster than he looks so defenders take poor angles. 

Gronk made a living out of this.  He never looked fast but once a big tall dude loke that gets moving and has a long stiff arm to keep you off him he can kill ya.

Also Josh has a great knack for cut back moves on his runs.  He's been doing it since he was in HS, and still uses it to this day.

On 2/1/2020 at 3:06 AM, transplantbillsfan said:

Josh Allen obviously isn't Lamar Jackson or Mike Vick in terms of speed specifically, but Allen was clocked in at a 4.75 at the Combine.

Here's a list of QBs who ran faster than 4.75 at the combine:

Derek Carr

Blaine Gabbert

Marcus Mariota 

Andrew Luck

Mitchell Trubisky 

Ben Roethlisberger had the same time.

I challenge folks to watch these 2 highlight videos and focus solely on his "breakaway runs." 

Personally, I see him running with and even outrunning DBs frequently.

We all know Jerry Rice was clocked at 4.7 and that simply wasn't his game speed. His game speed was more like 4.5 or 4.4.

So how about Josh once the pads go on? Does he look faster than any/all the guys mentioned above?

What about Aaron Rodgers?

What about Russell Wilson?

And finally... can players train and get faster? Is it possible that's what actually happened between the Combine and the 2018 season or was it just "pajama speed" vs "pad speed?"

Cam Newton too

Don Bebee has a gym where he trains players how to get faster but i think that is mostly geared towards other specialty players not so much QB's i would rather Josh work on his other short comings such as long ball accuracy, reading defenses, & such his running is plenty fast enough from what he's shown & should only use that when absolutely necessary !!

Edited by T master