The Mystery of the Missing Screen Plays

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This article just out in The Buffalo News (pay, free trial available with signup) from Mark Vaughn:

https://buffalonews.com/2020/02/12/buffalo-bills-screen-passes-ineffective-2019-analysis-nfl-devin-singletary-brian-daboll-2020/

Ha i was wondering if you were gonna share the link. I immediately thought about the discussion here. But i too found the article lacking details to help explain the reasons for our lack of success running them.

On a side note, i recently found a way to get around the TBN paywall so i was able to read the article. Its a site that removes clutter from webpages to make it easier to read the content & for the hell of it i tried a BN article & what do u know, not only did it make the article easier to read, but it negated their paywall somehow. Its not what the site was intended for but hey i'll take it. I'd share it for others but it's probably not a good idea to.

But going forward into next season I really hope we solve our screen pass issues so we can put a few into the game play every week. Especially considering how i fully expect an upgrade or 2 on the oline with more athletic lineman. We need to get Devin in space & make defenses think twice before they go all out on Josh.

We run them but they usually aren't that effective. Some worked but most didn't

What can contribute to that is bad coaching on screen technique 

AND

how teams defend Josh Allen. Alot of teams don't pin their ears back and rush him hard. They control the LoS and edge and try to contain him

That philosophy probably has had a negative effect on our screen game since other teams D ends try and play sound gap control football and not overpersue

So our screens run right into them and Josh eats it at the ground

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

We run them but they usually aren't that effective. Some worked but most didn't

What can contribute to that is bad coaching on screen technique 

AND

how teams defend Josh Allen. Alot of teams don't pin their ears back and rush him hard. They control the LoS and edge and try to contain him

That philosophy probably has had a negative effect on our screen game since other teams D ends try and play sound gap control football and not overpersue

So our screens run right into them and Josh eats it at the ground

The second part is a point that was brought up on WGR before. Basically it was something to the point that teams that have QBs that can make plays with their legs have a hard time with screen plays because the defense is playing contain on the qb. 

This wasn't just about the Bills either, they had stats on multiple QBs that were mobile but had bad screen pass success. 

1 hour ago, The Wiz said:

The second part is a point that was brought up on WGR before. Basically it was something to the point that teams that have QBs that can make plays with their legs have a hard time with screen plays because the defense is playing contain on the qb. 

This wasn't just about the Bills either, they had stats on multiple QBs that were mobile but had bad screen pass success. 

Yep to counter you need to run cross formation screens.. trickier but they are pros

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Wiz said:

And yet, upthread, people suggested Tyrod Taylor as a good QB for the screen game.  We need to figure something out.

Including how to defend 'em, because after the Pats ran screens in our face up 'n down the field Week 16, you can believe we're going to see screens up the ying-yang from Gailey.

• Like (+1) 1