Two Weeks Between Games is Too long

It seems like the Championship games were like last year already. Teams generally come out flat in the Super Bowl and the rust takes a quarter, sometimes a half to wear off. Why the 2 week layoff between the games? Super Bowl 25 had only 1 week between Super Bowl and Championship games so its not like it hasn’t been done before. I just feel like my interest has really dropped off since I have no emotional attachment in the winner. Anyone else feeling this?

Edited by thronethinker

27 minutes ago, thronethinker said:

It seems like the Championship games were like last year already. Teams generally come out flat in the Super Bowl and the rust takes a quarter, sometimes a half to wear off. Why the 2 week layoff between the games? Super Bowl 25 had only 1 week between Super Bowl and Championship games so its not like it hasn’t been done before. I just feel like my interest has really dropped off since I have no emotional attachment in the winner. Anyone else feeling this?

Nope.  ?

When I was growing up the Super Bowl sucked more often than not. A lot of people attributed it to the two week layoff. I'm pretty sure that Bills/Giants was the first in a loooong time that didn't have the two week layoff and it was arguably the best SB ever. Can't remember why there was no extra week, but I always wondered whether the timing had anything to do with it being such a great game.

Fast forward and I think we've seen enough great SB's to debunk the two week layoff theory.

1 hour ago, SinceThe70s said:

When I was growing up the Super Bowl sucked more often than not. A lot of people attributed it to the two week layoff. I'm pretty sure that Bills/Giants was the first in a loooong time that didn't have the two week layoff and it was arguably the best SB ever. Can't remember why there was no extra week, but I always wondered whether the timing had anything to do with it being such a great game.

Fast forward and I think we've seen enough great SB's to debunk the two week layoff theory.

The NFL would change the break from two weeks to one week back then if the SB would end up in February, a big no-no. Now they want it in February. Go figure. It happened to the Bills twice during their Super Bowl years, including Super Bowl XXVIII against Dallas in the Georgia Dome. (BTW, Thurman complained about that SB, since the Bills were designated as the home team by the NFL, but they got the visitor's locker room, which is always less plush than the home team's.)

Edited by chongli

1 hour ago, thronethinker said:

I don't recall any Super Bowl teams coming out flat for a quarter or a half.  Do you have an example?

• Like (+1) 1

Super bowl 25.... lol..

Maybe the Bills could have done with another week off before that game..

2 hours ago, thronethinker said:

Why the 2 week layoff between the games? Super Bowl 25 had only 1 week between Super Bowl and Championship games so its not like it hasn’t been done before. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, chongli said:

The NFL would change the break from two weeks to one week back then if the SB would end up in February, a big no-no. Now they want it in February. Go figure. It happened to the Bills twice during their Super Bowl years, including Super Bowl XXVIII against Dallas in the Georgia Dome. (BTW, Thurman complained for that SB, since the Bills were designated as the home team, but they got the visitor's locker room, which is always less plush than the home teams.)

I'm pretty sure that the lack of a two break was highly uncommon prior to Bills/Giants, can you name another (not being a d!ck here, just curious).

XXVIII does a ring a bell. I have a vague recollection thinking the lack of an off week would make the game as good as Giants/Bills.

32 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

I'm pretty sure that the lack of a two break was highly uncommon prior to Bills/Giants, can you name another (not being a d!ck here, just curious).

XXVIII does a ring a bell. I have a vague recollection thinking the lack of an off week would make the game as good as Giants/Bills.

Seasons with only one week between conference/league championship games and the SB:

1969 - SB IV - Kansas City vs. Minnesota

1982 - SB XVII - Washington vs. Miami (9-game strike-shortened season; SB was originally to have been two weeks after conference championship games)

1990 - SB XXV - NY Giants vs. Buffalo

1993 - SB XXVIII - Dallas vs. Buffalo

1999 - SB XXXIV - St. Louis vs.  Tennessee

2000 - SB XXXV - Baltimore vs. NY Giants

2002 - SB XXXVII - Tampa Bay vs. Oakland

Edited by chongli

Just now, chongli said:

Seasons with only one week between conference/league championship games and the SB:

1969 - SB IV - KC vs. Minnesota

1982 - SB XVII - Washington vs. Miami (strike-shortened season)

2002 - SB XXXVII - O=Tampa Bay vs. Oakland

2010- SB XLV - Green Bay vs. Pittsburgh

Appreciate the leg work! 

Validates my memory that 1990 was an anomaly, but I'm shocked how many have happened since.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, chongli said:

1969 - SB IV - Kansas City vs. Minnesota

1982 - SB XVII - Washington vs. Miami (9-game strike-shortened season; SB was originally to have been two weeks after conference championship games)

2002 - SB XXXVII - Tampa Bay vs. Oakland

2010 - SB XLV - Green Bay vs. Pittsburgh

SB XLV had 2 weeks between the championship games, and the super bowl. It was the first year the pro bowl was moved to the week in between.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, wagon127 said:

SB XLV had 2 weeks between the championship games, and the super bowl. It was the first year the pro bowl was moved to the week in between.

And you would be correct. Brain fart on my part. Ugh. Thanks for noticing.

Edited by chongli
  • Like (+1) 1