Mahomes buys entire restaurant dinner as thanks

The truth is that many pro athletes and other celebrities are real d-bags.  Nice to hear a story where a guy isn't.  We love Josh Allen, because he seems to be that kind of guy.  I've had a few encounters with Buffalo sports figures over the years.  A few years ago, I bumped into Marv Levy in the grocery store in the Chicago neighborhood where we both lived.  I was very polite, but I did introduce myself and had a brief conversation with him.  He was very friendly and had a great sense of humor.  Subsequent to that, I got to know his wife and stepdaughter a little bit, as they went to the Bills bar to watch a few games (Marv didn't join them).  Very nice people. 

A few years prior, I bumped into then-Sabres GM John Muckler at a bar in Chicago.  Granted, most people wouldn't have known who in the hell he was.  He was wearing a watch with a gold face that was a Sabres logo.  I also had a brief conversation with him and he was pretty cool.

Neither of these are quite the same as a Super Bowl QB at the height of his fame having dinner in a restaurant in his hometown.  That said, many years ago, I saw Jim Kelly at the Stuffed Mushroom in Buffalo.  I didn't attempt to talk to him, but he was with an entourage and was acting like a d-bag, strutting through there like he owned the place.  Around that same era, I saw a huge table of Bills having dinner at the old "Shooters" on the waterfront.  It was Bruce Smith, Darryl Talley, Cornelius Bennett and a few others.  Me and my friends didn't disturb them.  Most recently of all (maybe 3 or 4 years ago), I had dinner at Mulberry's in Lackawanna and Eric Wood was at the next table.  We didn't bother him and he didn't pick up our tab....

My apologies if I bored everyone with my many stories, but perhaps it would make a nice thread topic - where people ran into prominent Buffalo sports figures and what (if anything) happened.

19 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

A pizza joint where you pay after you eat??

Must be a KC thing.

I've been to a lot of pizza places that also have a sit down restaurant.  You can sit down and be waited on or you can take out pizza.  It certainly isn't a KC thing, I ate at one in Albany a couple of months ago and we ordered a pizza pie.

1 minute ago, Albany,n.y. said:

I've been to a lot of pizza places that also have a sit down restaurant.  You can sit down and be waited on or you can take out pizza.  It certainly isn't a KC thing, I ate at one in Albany a couple of months ago and we ordered a pizza pie.

I've been to restaurants that  serve pizza among many other things.   And then maybe a Pizza Hut as a kid.

47 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Nope, not uncommon at all. But perhaps it's uncommon where you live. Which apparently isn't KC or where I live.

like I said,  I don’t eat at Pizza Hut etc.  I get a pie or a slice and sit and eat or take it to go.  That’s how it works in the city

55 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Nope, not uncommon at all. But perhaps it's uncommon where you live. Which apparently isn't KC or where I live.

In most nice places where you might eat pizza, the bill comes at the end. Not ALL, but most. What if you want another glass of wine, or somebody wants a dessert or coffee. Do you get a new bill every time someone orders another beer? Even dive bars want you to pay at the end, usually. There are exceptions, but.....

I honestly can’t remember the last time a got a “chain pizza”. Papa John’s and such....I’d rather go hungry most of the time. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

A pizza joint where you pay after you eat??

Must be a KC thing.

Paying after Is pretty normal in my experience. How do they know how many beers I want? 

Odds are it was Pizza Hut

https://www.kwch.com/content/news/Patrick-Mahomes-says-Pizza-Hut-has-the-best-pizza-in-Kansas-City--506498691.html

Edited by Nester
  • Like (+1) 1

New York City has celebs everywhere and no one pays them any attention. I saw Karlie Kloss the model on the subway once. She didn’t make eye contact or invite conversation but I didn’t notice anyone really noticing.  A 6 foot tall supermodel on the subway go figure. 

33 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

like I said,  I don’t eat at Pizza Hut etc.  I get a pie or a slice and sit and eat or take it to go.  That’s how it works in the city

Pizza Hut, etc?  Lol, ignorant/arrogant assumption. My guess is that your definition of a pizza joint and mine differ. 

26 minutes ago, ~Kostabi~ said:

New York City has celebs everywhere and no one pays them any attention. I saw Karlie Kloss the model on the subway once. She didn’t make eye contact or invite conversation but I didn’t notice anyone really noticing.  A 6 foot tall supermodel on the subway go figure. 

Umm, my wife works mostly in NYC and I go on occasion. A tall skinny girl on the subway would not exactly be a “celebrity” to me, but what do I know? Props on knowing her name!  Bigger markets certainly allow greater freedom for “celebrities “. 

Nicer places with pizza  do not usually ask for payment until the end. I can think of a couple exceptions in Atlanta, one of which has one of the best pizzas. (Antico Pizza for the locals, they also don’t do by the slice which is the reason I don’t go there a lot for lunch.) 

40 minutes ago, Augie said:

In most nice places where you might eat pizza, the bill comes at the end. Not ALL, but most. What if you want another glass of wine, or somebody wants a dessert or coffee. Do you get a new bill every time someone orders another beer? Even dive bars want you to pay at the end, usually. There are exceptions, but.....

I honestly can’t remember the last time a got a “chain pizza”. Papa John’s and such....I’d rather go hungry most of the time. 

LAMP alert!!! Read on at your own discretion. The last time I can remember eating at a Pizza Hut was in Buffalo. For my birthday, my girlfriend (now wife) surprised me with a trip to a Bills game. Got off the plane, got the rental car and decided to get something to eat before we crossed into Canada (stayed at a hotel overlooking the Falls on the Canada side). Saw a Pizza Hut, seemed like a safe choice. It sucked, but it worked.

3 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

LAMP alert!!! Read on at your own discretion. The last time I can remember eating at a Pizza Hut was in Buffalo. For my birthday, my girlfriend (now wife) surprised me with a trip to a Bills game. Got off the plane, got the rental car and decided to get something to eat before we crossed into Canada (stayed at a hotel overlooking the Falls on the Canada side). Saw a Pizza Hut, seemed like a safe choice. It sucked, but it worked.

Flashbacks! The last time I remember being in a Pizza Hut was in Minneapolis. It was right after a football game. Against the Redskins. In a Super Bowl. It was 9 degrees outside, and walking distance from the hotel. It just made the entire experience that much more sad......

I haven’t done “franchise pizza” in decades. I rarely do pizza at all, actually. Buffalo spoiled me, and I like to stick to “good” pizza. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Augie said:

Flashbacks! The last time I remember being in a Pizza Hut was in Minneapolis. It was right after a football game. Against the Redskins. In a Super Bowl. It was 9 degrees outside, and walking distance from the hotel. It just made the entire experience that much more sad......

I haven’t done “franchise pizza” in decades. I rarely do pizza at all, actually. Buffalo spoiled me, and I like to stick to “good” pizza. 

My last franchise pizza experience was a few years ago when my youngest repeatedly saw a commercial for someone's 'crazy bread'. He was obsessed and it was harmless to surprise him. Which I did one sunday. It was around a 40 minute drive out and back. The crazy bread sucked, but my son would disagree and his appreciation was priceless and well worth it.