Poloncarz: Bills tell Erie County they will NOT terminate stadium lease

On 2/1/2020 at 2:39 PM, Da webster guy said:

Downtown stadium is a lock.  Hotels, ameneties etc.  Its still not gonna have as many corporate boxes as Roger would like but it'll be sweet.  Retractable roofs are awesome now, ours will be state of the art.  3 years to build.

I don't think it's a lock.. 

On 1/31/2020 at 3:55 PM, LabattBlue said:

Is this a big deal?  Current lease runs until 2023?  If they are going to build a new stadium, it would not be ready before then, even if construction started by summer time this year(which won't be happening).

So- you extend the lease a year or 2 

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Also makes building a new stadium pointless.

Pointless for who?   Not the league.  73,000 seats at New Era.  December comes folks focus on 5-6,000 who might not show up.  Damn near 70,000 still did show up.  New stadium will probably be 65-67,000 seats and a different layout, but I wouldn't bank on a roof.

Edited by purple haze

If you look at costs of other stadiums built in the last 10-15 years, I don't see why it HAS to hit $1 billion in expenses unless it's just extremely expensive to build anything in NY.

The Cowboys' stadium cost $1.15 billion when it was built, and at the time was one of the most expensive stadiums ever constructed. Granted it's been like 10 years since then, but that thing is a MONSTER of a stadium, seating 100k people, has all the luxuries and amenities anyone could ask for and is loaded with extra attractions & state of the art facilities.

Inflation hasn't skyrocketed to some absurd amount since then, and the Bills would likely go for a more humble & reserved approach, so I'm only left with the explanation that NY is just insanely expensive?

Otherwise, we really should've built a new stadium years ago instead of kicking the can this far down the road.

AT&T Stadium (Cowboys) - $1.15 billion 2009 - ($1.55 billion 2019 cost)

Lucas Oil Stadium (Colts) - $720 million 2008 - ($843 million 2018 cost)

Levi Stadium (49ers) - $1.3 billion 2014 - ($1.4 billion 2019 cost)

Mercedes-Benz Stadium (Falcons) - $1.6 billion *projected after additional renovations* 2017 - (But with $900 million in sponsorship sales)

MetLife Stadium (Giants/Jets) - $1.6 billion 2010 - (1.88 billion in 2019 cost) but that's with/for 2 x teams contributing

State Farm Stadium (Cardinals) - $455 million 2006 - ($577 million in 2019 cost)

US Bank Stadium (Vikings) - $1 billion 2016 ($1.065 billion in 2019 cost)

I feel like the Bills could get away with a sub $1 billion, 60k-65k capacity stadium with a modest setup...something between Lucas Oil & US Bank Stadium. Unless it's just a given that they have to build up a bunch of shopping centers, bars, retail outlets, etc. around the stadium like the big dogs did (Cowboys/Rams), is it unreasonable to aim for $800-$900 million?

Maybe it is, and maybe NY state just makes that impossible. But seeing prices from years ago when renovation/new stadium talks began kicking around really irks me. Colts & Cardinals got away with domed stadiums for great prices, and if you go back further, teams like the Steelers were able to build new venues for what we've spent in renovations over the years.

8 hours ago, purple haze said:

Pointless for who?   Not the league.  73,000 seats at New Era.  December comes folks focus on 5-6,000 who might not show up.  Damn near 70,000 still did show up.  New stadium will probably be 65-67,000 seats and a different layout, but I wouldn't bank on a roof.

A roof makes it a year-round facility. They are not going to spend a half-billion on a place that gets used 10 times a year.

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

A roof makes it a year-round facility. They are not going to spend a half-billion on a place that gets used 10 times a year.

Not to mention, football is just different now than when the Bills were the "Glory Years" Buffalo Bills. The game, the rules, the type of money, the players, the fans...the experience. Everything has changed. The Bills need to be contemporary in every way, and that includes a domed stadium. Right now there are still many dye-in-the-wool, hard-nosed fans that grew up in those glory years or older folks who still remember football the way it was intended. However, and this is gi-normous in terms of what to do now - society as a whole has become softer and more progressive in their approach to human comfort. The dome gets little kids, the next generation who spend a lot of time indoors, to be comfortable and yes, I know I sound old (I'm not that old, in my 40's) but this is just reality. 

Build a dome, make it young fan friendly, Offense friendly, year-round use, have it become a full day experience for kids and families, and make it the, The House that Allen Built. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

Not to mention, football is just different now than when the Bills were the "Glory Years" Buffalo Bills. The game, the rules, the type of money, the players, the fans...the experience. Everything has changed. The Bills need to be contemporary in every way, and that includes a domed stadium. Right now there are still many dye-in-the-wool, hard-nosed fans that grew up in those glory years or older folks who still remember football the way it was intended. However, and this is gi-normous in terms of what to do now - society as a whole has become softer and more progressive in their approach to human comfort. The dome gets little kids, the next generation who spend a lot of time indoors, to be comfortable and yes, I know I sound old (I'm not that old, in my 40's) but this is just reality. 

Build a dome, make it young fan friendly, Offense friendly, year-round use, have it become a full day experience for kids and families, and make it the, The House that Allen Built. 

Also taking away an objection from potential free agents who don't want to play in the cold.

UB plays in a frigid outdoor stadium for those seeking that experience.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

4 hours ago, BigDingus said:

If you look at costs of other stadiums built in the last 10-15 years, I don't see why it HAS to hit $1 billion in expenses unless it's just extremely expensive to build anything in NY.

The Cowboys' stadium cost $1.15 billion when it was built, and at the time was one of the most expensive stadiums ever constructed. Granted it's been like 10 years since then, but that thing is a MONSTER of a stadium, seating 100k people, has all the luxuries and amenities anyone could ask for and is loaded with extra attractions & state of the art facilities.

Inflation hasn't skyrocketed to some absurd amount since then, and the Bills would likely go for a more humble & reserved approach, so I'm only left with the explanation that NY is just insanely expensive?

Otherwise, we really should've built a new stadium years ago instead of kicking the can this far down the road.

AT&T Stadium (Cowboys) - $1.15 billion 2009 - ($1.55 billion 2019 cost)

Lucas Oil Stadium (Colts) - $720 million 2008 - ($843 million 2018 cost)

Levi Stadium (49ers) - $1.3 billion 2014 - ($1.4 billion 2019 cost)

Mercedes-Benz Stadium (Falcons) - $1.6 billion *projected after additional renovations* 2017 - (But with $900 million in sponsorship sales)

MetLife Stadium (Giants/Jets) - $1.6 billion 2010 - (1.88 billion in 2019 cost) but that's with/for 2 x teams contributing

State Farm Stadium (Cardinals) - $455 million 2006 - ($577 million in 2019 cost)

US Bank Stadium (Vikings) - $1 billion 2016 ($1.065 billion in 2019 cost)

I feel like the Bills could get away with a sub $1 billion, 60k-65k capacity stadium with a modest setup...something between Lucas Oil & US Bank Stadium. Unless it's just a given that they have to build up a bunch of shopping centers, bars, retail outlets, etc. around the stadium like the big dogs did (Cowboys/Rams), is it unreasonable to aim for $800-$900 million?

Maybe it is, and maybe NY state just makes that impossible. But seeing prices from years ago when renovation/new stadium talks began kicking around really irks me. Colts & Cardinals got away with domed stadiums for great prices, and if you go back further, teams like the Steelers were able to build new venues for what we've spent in renovations over the years.

It's been said that it is more expensive to build in New York.  Also, if built downtown expect problems in terms of lawsuits which will require big money to go away.  Environmental impact studies.  

5 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Year around to do what though?  Concerts in the summer will happen.  But they have HSBC for the other concerts and most of the artist booked there could not be booked in a football stadium.  I get what you're saying, I just don't think the new stadium needs to be a year round facility.  Most football stadiums are not that.  Even having a roof doesn't mean there is sufficient activities to make it a year round facility.  It is what it is.

8 hours ago, BigDingus said:

NY is notorious for greased palms, in general.