One Bills Live...Maddy Glab

LabattBlue

1 hour ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Because she works for the Bills its sick?? There are tons of pictures of attractive girls on here but those are just fine ??

If she didn't want it out there then she wouldn't have put it on Instagram, im not sick just a normal male who likes hot women. If you dont like that you are the sick one.

I’m saying it happens here every single time without exception when a woman is brought up. No matter what the role. And it does not happen with the men (we) happen to disagree with. If that’s not a textbook double standard i don't know what is. 

Edit: just know your forum dude. Yes I don’t think there’s anything wrong with acknowledging or even commenting on girls’ looks but this thread and this BOARD is about football. Jesus how long have you been here and still haven’t got that? 

Edited by JoPoy88
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

She’s not great, but she’s hardly the worst.

And for the record, I really don’t care about looks or tone of voice when it comes to female broadcasters. Want to make me happy as a listener/viewer? Tell me something that I wouldn’t otherwise know.

You know who’s really good at that? Michelle Tafoya. There’s a reason that she’s been a mainstay in the biggest Weekly football broadcast for a decade. She asks smart questions, gets solid insights from coaches, and gets the pertinent info communicated. 

If you don't like her, change channels but be aware that those of us that continue to listen will eventually gain critical knowledge about the Bills and as a group, have collectively decided we won't tell the rest of you snarkers any of the good stuff.

8 hours ago, Nelius said:

She's not very good. I'm surprised that somebody with such an obvious lack of experience can jump right to where she is. Isn't she essentially the social media face of the Bills now? I'd think somebody would be gaining experience working for the Jamestown Jammers or something a bit more entry level, not awkwardly finding their way with a professional sports team, but I honestly have no idea how competitive positions like these are. Really hope she gets better but its been months.

Dude, I don't know too much about college sports but even I can tell that 4 years of paid experience working sports for Tennessee is far more big-time than "the Jamestown Jammers or something like that".  And doing math, she was 27 or 28 when she started here, so it's possible, even probable, that the Tennessee gig was her 2nd sports media job.

• Thank you (+1) 1

She’s not great, but like most young broadcasters, she certainly has the potential to improve.  Pretty much anything is more listenable than the Shill and Tasker however. 

6 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Anyone remember Hannah Buehler? She was so good at this job. I think she could have easily made it national in sports. Still can. Smart and intelligent. 

Hannah is very good at what she does. Unfortunately she is mired in the ratings disaster that is channel 7

Better than all the shows this week from radio row who interviewed all the same people in the same nauseating fashion ... worst sports radio week of the year

A Transcript of Every Super Bowl Radio Row Interview

HOST: Hey it’s [Big Razz/Bean/Dusty/Taco/Big Mo/Jason or another nickname of some sort] back here with you on [station’s numbers followed by The Fan, The Ticket, The Score]. We are coming to you LIVE from Super Bowl radio row, and you’re never going to guess who just walked up to our table. It’s the [position] for [some team not playing in the Super Bowl]… that’s right, it’s [athlete’s name]! How you my brotha?

ATHLETE: [in a much deeper voice than you anticipated] I’m doing well thank you for having me. 

HOST: Any time for you, my man! Now I should mention [because the athlete’s rep keeps hand signaling to the host] that you are here on behalf of [some sponsor like Planter’s/Hershey’s/Pringles/Mountain Dew/Pizza Hut/The General Auto Insurance, etc.] which we will get into here in a bit, but first, I have to ask how you feeling coming off [a vague reference to last season to prove the host paid at least a little bit of attention to a team outside of his market].

ATHLETE: I feel good. This was a great season. Obviously, it didn’t end how we wanted, but I feel strongly about this team moving forward.

SECOND HOST: Hey [athlete’s first name as if he knows him personally], [his own name] here. I noticed in that final game that [references play from athlete’s most recent game to prove that he has even more knowledge of a team outside of his market]. Can you take me through that play?

ATHLETE: Um, yeah. So the play is called [weird collection of words, letters and numbers that sounds more like an algebra equation than a football play], and we had installed it into the game plan probably around Week 6 this year. So [explains in vague terms exactly what happened on the play even though everyone already knows] and the rest was history.

SECOND HOST: Yeah, see I was telling [host’s nickname] here exactly that and he didn’t believe me, but I told you, I told you didn’t I??

HOST: You told me. Hand raised. I was wrong for once.

SECOND HOST: Yeah sure, “for once,” now THAT’S funny!

ATHLETE: *awkwardly sitting there laughing and smiling without really knowing what to say*

HOST: Ok, so [athlete’s first name, because after one question, he’s now comfortable to go on the first name basis], I know you’re from [athlete’s hometown], and now your dad was a [athlete’s dad’s occupation that he read on the athlete’s Wikipedia page just before this question], right? Talk about what that was like.

ATHLETE: *a bit surprised to be answering such a random and lame question* Oh yeah, of course. My dad was a [his father’s occupation], and we grew up just outside [closest metropolitan city to athlete’s hometown] and everyday he would wake up at the crack of dawn and go to work, while my mother raised me and my [number of siblings].

SECOND HOST: That’s where you got your incredible work ethic isn’t it?

ATHLETE: Oh, yes sir, yes sir.

SECOND HOST: *trying to stay younger than he is* You don’t have to call me sir.

HOST: Oh and look, [name drop of an A-list celebrity to once again prove how cool it is to be on radio row amongst the elites] is just walking through here on radio row. You never know who you’re going to see here!

SECOND HOST: Now [a shortened version of athlete’s name], do you have any plans for the Super Bowl? Will you be watching here? Heading home? What does a man like you got going on for the big game? I bet you’re hitting up a massive party, aren’t you?

ATHLETE: Nah, I’m flying back tomorrow. I’m just going to be watching it from home.

HOST: But I’m sure you’ll have plenty of [product the athlete is endorsing] with you, right?

SECOND HOST: Ahhhh, nice segue! *completely killing the vibe of the smooth transition*

ATHLETE: Yeah, I’m here today on behalf of [some sort of product like Tostitos/Duracell/All State Insurance/Bridgestone/JIF peanut butter] wanting to remind you all to [product’s slogan]. And if you go to [product’s website] right now, you can enter to win a sweepstakes to send you and two of your friends to the NFL Draft later this year. Just enter promo code BIGGAME.

SECOND HOST: Oh, man that sounds like a lot of fun. Are we eligible to enter? *laughs too loudly into the mic*

HOST: I don’t think they’d let you anywhere near the NFL Draft, [second host’s name]!

SECOND HOST: *still laughing* Yeah, you’re probably right!

ATHLETE: *again awkwardly sitting there laughing and smiling without really knowing what to say*

HOST: We’re getting the signal here to wrap things up, so we better let you bounce, but man, I could talk to you [aka read your Wikipedia and ask you questions about it] all day! Be well my friend!

ATHLETE: Alright, thank you.

*you can hear the athlete getting up from the table and hugging and having small talk with SECOND HOST in the background despite the show still being on the air*

HOST: And it’s probably a good thing we’re getting out because we need to pay the bills. It’s currently [current time as if you don’t have a clock where you are], and coming up, we’ve got a real treat for you. We’ll be joined by the hilarious Frank Caliendo who will do all sorts of voices for us and if you haven’t heard this guy [as if there are still people in this world who haven’t been subjected to Frank Caliendo’s impression], you’re not going to want to miss it. I’m Big Razz/Bean/Dusty/Taco/Big Mo/Jason], and you’re listening to [The Fan/The Ticket/The Score]. We’ll be right back.

http://www.korkedbats.com/2020/01/31/a-transcript-of-every-super-bowl-radio-row-interview/

• Haha (+1) 3

8 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

i did not know this (obviously) and again i was attempting to defend the girl from all this vitriol she inevitably gets whenever she’s on the air for more than 5 minutes. Maybe take a look at the guy (it’s always a guy) posting a complaint thread about maddy glab every time he hears her and it offends his football ears.

I appreciate the intent.  You might have to take me on faith here, but professionally speaking, it's actually more damaging for a woman to have the her qualifications and experience dismissed or denigrated, or the assumption made that she's less qualified than the dudes in the job or lacks experience that she has, than it is to have the topic turned to her looks. 

I agree the "let's critique her looks" thing is worn, tired, and a double standard since we're not about "Why doesn't Murphy buff up and lose weight?  He's a 0.1 on a 1-10 scale" "Dude, pity the scale, he broke it!" or "Chris Brown should change up his wardrobe, it doesn't suit his skin tone and he looks like a corpse"

Long term, though, the former is more damaging and actually harder to fight, since the looks usually aren't an explicit professional qualification.

6 minutes ago, Jpsredemption said:

The real concern should be about Tasker. Another premium position given to an alum who doesn’t deserve it. 

I am learning here, what low standards I have.  I actually find Tasker refreshing at times.  His exchange with Murphy about NE on the Lo-Down before the NE game was priceless.

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Dude, I don't know too much about college sports but even I can tell that 4 years of paid experience working sports for Tennessee is far more big-time than "the Jamestown Jammers or something like that".  And doing math, she was 27 or 28 when she started here, so it's possible, even probable, that the Tennessee gig was her 2nd sports media job.

I don't know her history sorry, just the fact that she's not a very good listen. It's actually even worse then if she had a 4 year stint with Tennessee. It honest to god sounds like she's still figuring it out on air, and people have even said in this thread that folks should lay off because she's still figuring it out. Figuring it out months into a role for a professional sports team? My employer wasn't letting me still figure it out months into my job and 4+ years into my career. 

Look I don't hate the girl and have only commented on her professional skills thus far, but c'mon, if she's had multiple radio/social media jobs then what you're hearing now is probably about as good as it's going to get. I seriously thought this was her first gig.

Edited by Nelius

10 minutes ago, Nelius said:

I don't know her history sorry, just the fact that she's not a very good listen. It's actually even worse then if she had a 4 year stint with Tennessee. It honest to god sounds like she's still figuring it out on air, and people have even said in this thread that folks should lay off because she's still figuring it out. Figuring it out months into a role for a professional sports team? My employer wasn't letting me still figure it out months into my job and 4+ years into my career.

Look I don't hate the girl and have only commented on her professional skills thus far, but c'mon, if she's had multiple radio/social media jobs then what you're hearing now is probably about as good as it's going to get. I seriously thought this was her first gig.

Totes fair, you don't think she's a good listen, different tastes and all. 

I don't have a problem with her but it seems well established up-thread that my bar is low.  It's my understanding the One Bills Live show is a fill-in gig.  Most of her job seems to be doing fluff pieces about drafting Thanksgiving dinner and writing up stuff like "My Daily Routine" on behalf of the players, but I think she does OK in the post-game show with FredEx.

LOL. Maddy admits she committed fraud in college:

https://madglab.wordpress.com/2012/03/04/true-life-im-50

"It kind of sucks seeing the world from a low level, but being short definitely has its ups. I still pass as a child anywhere, so I always pay child prices. A year ago when I was in Colorado snowboarding, I passed as a child with my puffy winter jacket and snow pants. The lift ticket was $40 cheaper, completely worth the deal."

22 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Here ya go

image.png.b0be2cc9989f0dba4a9525350b0fcdd4.png

I get it that OLmen are Large Human Beings, but she looks tiny

image.thumb.png.0854a40c950284765b528762092aa6ef.png

Here are more pics of how short she is:

D_M-nSQXsAAzXgm.jpg

29163_394731303726_744148726_4179195_632

Edited by chongli

Maddy may be only 5'0", but another sports reporter, Kelli Johnson, has the opposite problem:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/30/deangelo-hall-will-not-be-punked-by-tall-female-reporters/

"DeAngelo Hall is not about to let a female reporter make him look short.  That’s why he asks Comcast Sportsnet Washington’s Kelli Johnson take off her high heels when she interviews him.

Confronted on the topic by Johnson’s colleague, Chick Hernandez, Hall copped to the truth.

“She was too tall. If I was 6 feet like [Carlos Rogers], I wouldn’t have to do that, but I’m 5-11, so she definitely had to take them heels off for me,” Hall said."

kellijohnsonshoes810b.jpg

kellijohnsonshoes810a-cropped.jpg

• Haha (+1) 1

On 1/31/2020 at 9:33 PM, John Gianelli said:

Admittedly I'm sexist when it comes to women doing sports reporting and broadcasting. But when a woman starts talking about men's professional sports I almost always change the channel. It reminds me of watching a game with my sister and wanting to tell her that she doesn't know what she's talking about. The Fabulous Sports Babe back in the day was about the only one I could tolerate, maybe because she was so out there.

My disdain includes most sideline reporters, male or female. 99.9% of the time they ask inane questions, and get meaningless answers. "Josh, did you think you had a chance to win?" Just once I'd like to hear "No, we all thought we were going to lose, but we're getting paid so we had to play the game anyway." I'd rather have them just go to the commercial break and get it over with. Kevin Kiley, on TNT I believe, was the only sideline reporter I ever heard ask intelligent questions.

How do you feel about NFL teams hiring female coaches?  ?

On 1/31/2020 at 4:37 PM, Mickey said:

Reading your posts is like digging sand out of the crotch of my speedo. I gotta give you a 2, decidedly below average. You're a nice guy though, I'm sure. ?

Maybe if you didn’t wear a speedo to the beach, you could get hotter chicks? Just a thought.