Flutie talking Bills and Allen

sunshynman

I loved Doug Flutie growing up, I was in 5th grade when the Bills lost to the Titans, so the perfect age for a kid to have a favorite player. 

I dont care what anyone says, 5th grade me (along with 31 year old me) says if Flutie would have started the Bills would have won the Super Bowl that year. I will go with that to my grave!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Hmmm, I must have blinked and missed it.  He did say a few things about today's Bills: that Josh Allen is a "humble kid", that he thinks Josh Allen is a year away, that he can make plays, that in the Baltimore game the Bills were right in it with a chance at the end, that for his size Josh Allen is mobile.  But most of the discussion was all about him and his  career and how he wishes he were playing today, which kind of matches my impression of Doug Flutie being a giant "I".

I mean, they're giving the guy his moment and the Flutie Flakes support his autism foundation, so I'm OK with that.

I guess everyone sees it with different glasses based on how they feel about Flutie. You say most of the discussion was all about him. I came away feeling like the bulk or biggest part of the discussion was about how great the Bills fans are.

I have nothing against Doug. Sure he has an ego, but most professional athletes do. And he did deserve to start that playoff game. He may not have been great, but he was the leader of that team at the time and Rob Johnson sucked. I don't blame him for being bitter about that. And I can't fault him for saying he'd have a better chance in the NFL now than when he played, because it's true. He wanted nothing but to play in the NFL, but  because of his size, his opportunities were limited. Now because of all of the QB protection rules and the different style of play, many smaller QBs are having success.

Is the animosity towards Doug just about the old QB controversy? The idea that he divided the locker room? Or is it something deeper? I understand that fans took sides in that debate too, but don't quite understand the continuing dislike of the guy.

Edited by folz
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Flutie should be more recognized by this organization. He was responsible for a few very bright years in this teams history. He seems very under appreciated by Buffalo Bills team history in general.

1 hour ago, ALLEN1QB said:

I just don't get all this hate for Doug Flutie. He may come off a little arrogant I contribute that to a bad case of little man syndrome. All in all he was okay in my book

Don't confuse the agendas of one or two posters here with the overall sentiment of Bills fans. I think most Bills fans liked Flutie and thought he brought some excitement to the team. But there are some very vocal Flutie haters.

And yet there are countless, countless examples of worse characters in the NFL that get much less grief.

17 minutes ago, folz said:

Is the animosity towards Doug just about the old QB controversy? The idea that he divided the locker room? Or is it something deeper? I understand that fans took sides in that debate too, but don't quite understand the continuing dislike of the guy.

That's literally all it is. Mad he divided the team. Mad that he had an ego. He didn't do anything besides that. Pretty crazy that certain Bills fans feel so strongly about something so tame. Flutie is a decent guy and a good athlete. There are far worse people to hate.

• Thank you (+1) 4

7 hours ago, MJS said:

Don't confuse the agendas of one or two posters here with the overall sentiment of Bills fans. I think most Bills fans liked Flutie and thought he brought some excitement to the team. But there are some very vocal Flutie haters.

And yet there are countless, countless examples of worse characters in the NFL that get much less grief.

That's literally all it is. Mad he divided the team. Mad that he had an ego. He didn't do anything besides that. Pretty crazy that certain Bills fans feel so strongly about something so tame. Flutie is a decent guy and a good athlete. There are far worse people to hate.

Personally, it was the little things that drove me nuts about Flutie.

Listen closely to his post-game interviews and whenever things went well it was “I”; when things went wrong it was “we”. And I don’t care how much you believe that you’re better than the other guy, you don’t openly campaign in the locker room to teammates about how they should support you and not him. That’s bush league.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4

I really don't understand the Flutie hate. I was fairly young (8-10 years old) when Flutie was having his great seasons in Buffalo, so I'm sure I wasn't as plugged in to what went on off the field.... But I've always liked the guy. I'd be interested to read about it, if someone has articles/documentation about whatever went on.

Edited by CLTbills
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, MJS said:

When he came back to Buffalo this year to re-launch his flakes that was the first time he'd been back to the area since he played for the team!

When you consider the effort that so many gullible, celebrity slobbering fans invested in him you'd think he'd have been back a few times in the past 20 years.....but nope...........not til he had some more product to sell.

Yes there are WORSE characters in the NFL but he's about as self-centered as any of them.

• Thank you (+1) 1