TE Greg Olsen is done in Carolina. Would you bring him to Buffalo

MAJBobby

14 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

50 catches for 600 yds in just 14 games while dealing with Kyle Allen and Will Grier is pretty darn impressive for having one feet out the door and being totally done. 

Not even saying he would entertain it but a one year deal for a big, sure handed savvy vet to help out the young guys would be great IMO. 

I'm with you on this one. The 597 yards he had last year was nearly equal to all 4 of our TEs combined(604 vs 597). Bring him in for a 1 year deal to play, add veteran leadership and mentor Knox & Sweeney. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Just Joshin' said:

If he was the last piece needed, then maybe.  I don't think the way to build a long term winner is to sign guys on the downside of their career.  This is not get rid of a year early, it is get 2 years late.

If it was after the 2018 season I would agree with the bolded, but he had more yards this past year than his 2 prior seasons combined? And he had the 11th most receiving yards by a TE this year.

I don’t see how/why Beane wouldn’t look into it. 

Seeing The Athletic’s article by Matt Fairburn about players wanting to come to Buffalo, I think those thinking we’re just going to go out and sign Ngakoue, Hooper, Cooper and Conklin, let alone ANY of them, will likely be disappointed. The big name guys have their choice of market. Just because we made the playoffs, have an exciting young QB (exciting, not necessarily Very good in the eyes of many) and fans who will jump through tables for you, means that those guys will want to come to Buffalo.

If Olsen would come here I would pounce on it. Similarly to Gore he could be a nice addition for Knox (and also Allen, who is a similar QB in some ways to Newton).

19 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

No...I don't want an old guy with an injury history impeding the progress of Knox and/or Sweeney. 

Like Tyler Kroft? I don’t see how it impedes. I think he’d be a valuable asset for both of them and Allen as well.

2 hours ago, nucci said:

Olsen has slowed considerably and has had foot/ankle injuries. 5 years ago maybe but not now

Yeah, this seems about right. I would rather have Witten on a one year deal similar to what Gore had for us. Maybe draft a guy with some of those late picks that can sit on the PS for a year and hopefully make a splash the following one. Seems to be some of those former basketball/athlete around at times. Don't know if i'd dump kroft or smith though, I guess it depends on the value each one brings, if it's me I'd rather it be witten, knox and kroft rather than smith, especially if we upgrade the RT position.

Edited by 4BillsintheBurgh

15 minutes ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

Yeah, this seems about right. I would rather have Witten on a one year deal similar to what Gore had for us. Maybe draft a guy with some of those late picks that can sit on the PS for a year and hopefully make a splash the following one. Seems to be some of those former basketball/athlete around at times. Don't know if i'd dump kroft or smith though, I guess it depends on the value each one brings, if it's me I'd rather it be witten, knox and kroft rather than smith, especially if we upgrade the RT position.

I think Knox is going to be a very good TE.....Croom and Sweeney are decent depth

Hard to know when the cliff hits for an older player.    It hit Gore in the middle of the season.  Granted our play calling didn't do him a lot of favors, but he's now done.   But the first 6 or so games, he was plenty good.   

Last year, Olsen was more productive than our entire TE staff combined.    If we don't go top shelf in FA, I don't mind looking at Olsen.  We shouldn't rely only on Knox taking a step or two forward.  I worry that he may not take fast enough steps this coming year.    I don't have too much faith in Kroft.

It's reassuring that McBean don't often rely on just one hope, and that multiple options are brought in.   

I think Olsen is done, age 35 with a serious injury history and a lot of miles on him I don't see him having much left in the tank. Would I hate signing him to a one year deal on the cheap? No, he isn't the worst stop gap option to replace Kroft and help mentor Knox/Sweeney. But I think this team could do better at TE. 

18 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Yeah I’ll be shocked if they don’t trade Cam and go into full rebuild mode. It seems inevitable at this point. I was expecting it to happen even before Kuechly retired.

I think that is probably Rhule’s best shot at success - build a fresh, young team from the ground up that will buy into his message. 

yep : )

6 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Bring in Olsen and cut Kroft...that feels like an easy one

I’d probably chase Hooper or Henry first though (depending on the cost)

2 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Seriously?   Guy has more miles on him than Lindsay Lohan.

So, highway miles. Dealer serviced and regular oil changes , plus maintenance records kept Lindsay?
But yes he would be wise to move on. He seems to have some skill for broadcasting in his near future.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 1/30/2020 at 2:53 PM, whatdrought said:

Guys had one foot in the booth for the past 3 years... Pass.

THIS. Plus he has had his share of health issues the Bills don't need another injury hobbled TE we had that in Kroft with mixed results.