Better Call Saul: Season 5 Trailer - 23 Feb

/dev/null

On 3/27/2020 at 5:38 PM, apuszczalowski said:

Have people been disappointed with this recent season? This was on page 3 and no one talking about the last couple episodes. I just caught up watching the last 2 episodes last night.

No.  I've been surprised by the comments saying it's been boring.  I just caught up on it and think it's better than ever.  I find the relationship between Jimmy and Kim to be more interesting than the Nacho/Gus/Mike story line.  They've managed to make Kim the most interesting and conflicted character on the show at this point.  Although, Gus being a ruthless villain in the guise of a reserved small business owner has been fun to watch too.

The show is like watching an interesting tragedy because you know for the most part that Kim will no longer be in "Saul's" life in Breaking Bad and that Saul will eventually get in too deep with the underworld that he's going to have to go on the run.  How will the Kim/Jimmy relationship end?  What happens to Nacho and his father?  

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Like (+1) 1

On 3/29/2020 at 3:36 AM, Doc Brown said:

No.  I've been surprised by the comments saying it's been boring.  I just caught up on it and think it's better than ever.  I find the relationship between Jimmy and Kim to be more interesting than the Nacho/Gus/Mike story line.  They've managed to make Kim the most interesting and conflicted character on the show at this point.  Although, Gus being a ruthless villain in the guise of a reserved small business owner has been fun to watch too.

The show is like watching an interesting tragedy because you know for the most part that Kim will no longer be in "Saul's" life in Breaking Bad and that Saul will eventually get in too deep with the underworld that he's going to have to go on the run.  How will the Kim/Jimmy relationship end?  What happens to Nacho and his father?  

Kim is good, but I think a big part of the interest there is that everyone is waiting to see how she falls off the map.  You might get that same thing with Nacho and Lalo, but they're nowhere near as important to the show.  She's probably the 2nd biggest character on the show.

On 3/27/2020 at 5:38 PM, apuszczalowski said:

Have people been disappointed with this recent season? This was on page 3 and no one talking about the last couple episodes. I just caught up watching the last 2 episodes last night.

I'm not disappointed at all.  I am an episode behind though and somewhat cautiously looking through this thread.  Don't want to see spoilers. 

I feel it's right up there on the same level it has been on in past seasons.

Saul's girlfriend, Kim, is one of the best parts of the show for me.  We know they have to get rid of her somehow b/c she was never a part of the Breaking Bad universe.  I'm sure this is creating a dilemma; the show has naturally grown to make her a major piece, yet they need to start moving her away from the storyline.

I think she's more interesting than Saul himself.

I have been a little frustrated with Mike's character this season.  His character is kind of limited in scope and he is turning into a 1 trick pony.  The strong silent type who doesn't deal with emotions very well.  

All of the illegal activity/drug lord stuff has been excellent this season, however.

I've been toying with the idea of them throwing us a major curve and Kim never has the downfall we're all expecting.  She was still there during Breaking Bad, but never shown.  There's really no way of doing that though thanks to Omaha.  I do wonder though if ultimately the brief present day storyline will bring her back.

On 3/30/2020 at 6:00 AM, LeGOATski said:

It's truly amazing that a spinoff could turn out this well...

It is amazing. But I’m not surprised in the least given Gilligan, his writers, directors, cinematographers, etc. etc., could complete each other’s sentences after their years of perfecting Breaking Bad.

51 minutes ago, K-9 said:

It is amazing. But I’m not surprised in the least given Gilligan, his writers, directors, cinematographers, etc. etc., could complete each other’s sentences after their years of perfecting Breaking Bad.

I wonder how different it would be if they weren't allowed to take their time to make each season.  They're not rushing out new episodes like most non-streaming shows.

8 minutes ago, shrader said:

I wonder how different it would be if they weren't allowed to take their time to make each season.  They're not rushing out new episodes like most non-streaming shows.

I suspect it wouldn’t impact their quality much at all. They produced some seasons of BB under the constant threat of non renewal by AMC and actually had to write several different plots and endings as a result. They created some great TV under intense tight time constraints. I think that pressure served them well. 

43 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I suspect it wouldn’t impact their quality much at all. They produced some seasons of BB under the constant threat of non renewal by AMC and actually had to write several different plots and endings as a result. They created some great TV under intense tight time constraints. I think that pressure served them well. 

I never watched Breaking Bad live, but I thought they had a similar schedule, at least near the end, where they had more than a year off between seasons.  Am I just mixing up the last season being split in half?

2 minutes ago, shrader said:

I never watched Breaking Bad live, but I thought they had a similar schedule, at least near the end, where they had more than a year off between seasons.  Am I just mixing up the last season being split in half?

IIRC, Breaking Bad didn’t get assurances from AMC until near the end of season three, so their time crunch was alleviated before the final couple seasons, anyway. I’ll have to find those interviews with Gilligan at the time. 

I really enjoyed the change of pace in that last episode.  

The episode reminded me what a completely unlikable character Saul is.

Kim is so much better than him, and that woman (as portrayed in the show) wouldn't be with a guy like Saul in real life IMO.

We all know Kim has to get out of the picture at some point, as she didn't exist in Breaking Bad...

But man, I hope they don't kill her off.

2 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I really enjoyed the change of pace in that last episode.  

The episode reminded me what a completely unlikable character Saul is.

Kim is so much better than him, and that woman (as portrayed in the show) wouldn't be with a guy like Saul in real life IMO.

We all know Kim has to get out of the picture at some point, as she didn't exist in Breaking Bad...

But man, I hope they don't kill her off.

It seems like the 2 ways they can go would involve her being killed off, or she ends up in witness protection program. Its still possible that she does exist in BB but just never seen or mentioned after she just breaks things off with Jimmy