New York (again)

2 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...HAS been, IS and forever WILL BE.....I'm thinking I'll go two more years (to 69) and pull the "GTFO Plug"......been looking down Venice FL way........my kids want me to retire in Aruba which is beautiful to visit, but NOT sold on the retirement idea......we only know the resort areas............

Venice is nice, though I live in Orlando area and unless you are a beach person I recommend Orlando.

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...thanks bud.....as I move closer, I may tap your residential knowledge and expertise.......:thumbsup:....I'm ashamed to say what I pay in NYS Income Tax......legal rape.....

Don't forget what you pay in property taxes. I have a friend who lives in Pittsford NY and as a household we make similar money and my house is more valuable by a little bit, he though pays almost 15k more in taxes a year. He can't figure out how I travel and save money like I do- well over the past 15 years I have paid 200k less in taxes.

19 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

Venice is nice, though I live in Orlando area and unless you are a beach person I recommend Orlando.

Don't forget what you pay in property taxes. I have a friend who lives in Pittsford NY and as a household we make similar money and my house is more valuable by a little bit, he though pays almost 15k more in taxes a year. He can't figure out how I travel and save money like I do- well over the past 15 years I have paid 200k less in taxes.

Sales tax and gas tax is much less too, plus no heating bills, or winter clothes to buy

15 minutes ago, bilzfancy said:

Sales tax and gas tax is much less too, plus no heating bills, or winter clothes to buy

Dude you must hit the big things first and then work down the list, if you tell them everything at once they think you are lying.?

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, bilzfancy said:

Yeah, that's what my uncle thought when he got his winter place in Florida. Boy was he pissed when it got unseasonably cold and he had to buy a furnace.

19 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

...I started to jot down the numbers and immediately needed a drink...SEVERAL.........Pittsford property taxes range anywhere from $10,000-$80,000+ based on assessed values.....it is the area's wealthiest community..........normal to see homes priced from $1 million to $5 million+......

25 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...I started to jot down the numbers and immediately needed a drink...SEVERAL.........Pittsford property taxes range anywhere from $10,000-$80,000+ based on assessed values.....it is the area's wealthiest community..........normal to see homes priced from $1 million to $5 million+......

His house is in the 280k range and mine is in the 300k range- he paid 8k in property taxes and almost 7k in income taxes. I pay about 2k in property taxes because FL can only raise them a small amount a year and I have owned it since 2003. Also I am not sure about other parts of state, my electric bills for the whole year have always been under $2500, half the months under $200, and we don't have gas or anything else. Friend told me he spent $500 for a month for heat a couple of time over the years.

5 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

His house is in the 280k range and mine is in the 300k range- he paid 8k in property taxes and almost 7k in income taxes. I pay about 2k in property taxes because FL can only raise them a small amount a year and I have owned it since 2003. Also I am not sure about other parts of state, my electric bills for the whole year have always been under $2500, half the months under $200, and we don't have gas or anything else. Friend told me he spent $500 for a month for heat a couple of time over the years.

...Tom Golisano, the billionaire CEO of Paychex gave his daughter a blank check to build a home in Victor, NY, adjacent to Pittsford.......13,000+ sq ft and valued at $5.9 million......property tax assessment was $89,000.......she NEVER moved in, opting to move to Florida where her mother lived (his ex-wife)......

5 hours ago, Koko78 said:

Yeah, that's what my uncle thought when he got his winter place in Florida. Boy was he pissed when it got unseasonably cold and he had to buy a furnace.

Depends on what part of the state, Northern Florida can get cold, I'm in SWFL, we may get 5-6 nights a year where it can get in the 40s, but that's rare. We don't have a furnace,the house is pretty well insulated, and in the summer with the A/C on 24/7, the electric bill might get to $150, but mostly around a $100, but everything is electric.

1 minute ago, bilzfancy said:

Depends on what part of the state, Northern Florida can get cold, I'm in SWFL, we may get 5-6 nights a year where it can get in the 40s, but that's rare. We don't have a furnace,the house is pretty well insulated, and in the summer with the A/C on 24/7, the electric bill might get to $150, but mostly around a $100, but everything is electric.

....LMAO!......a price of a Florida furnace vs NYS income tax that goes away?......$2,500 for a furnace leaves me THOUSANDS+ ahead........and the satisfaction of NOT lining Big Fredo's coffers......now on to property taxes, sales tax, gas tax, thumb tax, carpet tax, etc..............

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....LMAO!......a price of a Florida furnace vs NYS income tax that goes away?......$2,500 for a furnace leaves me THOUSANDS+ ahead........and the satisfaction of NOT lining Big Fredo's coffers......now on to property taxes, sales tax, gas tax, thumb tax, carpet tax, etc..............

Golisano lives here in Naples and is a rock star, he built a magnificent children's hospital, and donates millions to different charities here. I've got to be honest though, summers can be rough, if you're not used to it. From October to May we have the best weather anywhere but in the summer, everyday it's 95 and humid, with nasty thunderstorms everyday. I'm used to it and even play golf in the middle of the afternoon. I've found that in my old age, I'd much rather sweat then shiver. lol, I went to the Bills playoff game a few years ago in Jax and while it was in the 50s, I froze my ass off, and I was bundled up. I just can't handle cold anymore.

2 minutes ago, bilzfancy said:

Golisano lives here in Naples and is a rock star, he built a magnificent children's hospital, and donates millions to different charities here. I've got to be honest though, summers can be rough, if you're not used to it. From October to May we have the best weather anywhere but in the summer, everyday it's 95 and humid, with nasty thunderstorms everyday. I'm used to it and even play golf in the middle of the afternoon. I've found that in my old age, I'd much rather sweat then shiver. lol, I went to the Bills playoff game a few years ago in Jax and while it was in the 50s, I froze my ass off, and I was bundled up. I just can't handle cold anymore.

..TG is still a Rochester rock star philanthropist.....my eventual move to Florida is the heat and humidity which I hate.....I crossed inland Orlando off the list for that reason...but with you in the Fort Myers area citing the same conditions, I may have to rethink everything........

42 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

You are a Florida resident. Florida taxes the non-homesteaders out the wazoo. It is not a bad plan at all as non-residents cannot vote. They either buy a residence and grumble about the taxes (we did) or they don't buy (we sold).  Better to make residents happy with lower taxes than the non-residents. Much smarter political play.

32 minutes ago, bilzfancy said:

We were in St Augustine, and yes, it can get cold (most years I wore my winter coat + scarf + gloves until the second week of February, although there were years I was in shorts at that time). We did have to have a heat exchanger and a coastal unit air conditioning system (the price of being on  the ocean ? ).

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, bilzfancy said:

Nothing like driving into Naples and being greeted by the friendly neighborhood Rolex dealer on one side of the street, and the Bentley dealer on the other side of the street. ?

I like Naples very much. A lot of nice restaurants and artsy-fartsy places. I could live there if I could live somewhere else between March and October.

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Nothing like driving into Naples and being greeted by the friendly neighborhood Rolex dealer on one side of the street, and the Bentley dealer on the other side of the street. ?

I like Naples very much. A lot of nice restaurants and artsy-fartsy places. I could live there if I could live somewhere else between March and October.

A lot of people do that, live down here from the winter and spring, then go back up north for the summer, my daughter lives in Naples, about 20 miles south from me and it is very expensive, one of the richest in the country

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, bilzfancy said:

A lot of people do that, live down here from the winter and spring, then go back up north for the summer, my daughter lives in Naples, about 20 miles south from me and it is very expensive, one of the richest in the country

Did that once already with Florida, not doing it again.

We do keep looking for somewhere to move.  Spots we have looked to are South Dakota (it is so very beautiful) but that would present the same "where to winter" issue, or South Carolina. We have friends in the Hilton Head area so that is where we gravitate to. Not sure if I could take the summers there, however.

38 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Did that once already with Florida, not doing it again.

We do keep looking for somewhere to move.  Spots we have looked to are South Dakota (it is so very beautiful) but that would present the same "where to winter" issue, or South Carolina. We have friends in the Hilton Head area so that is where we gravitate to. Not sure if I could take the summers there, however.

Don't laugh, but have you ever thought about Delaware? RE taxes are ridiculously low, no state income tax and normally nothing more than a dusting of snow if that, in the winter. I have a relative who has a beach home there at the mouth of the Delaware River and it's oceanside, without the larger waves. 

1 hour ago, 3rdnlng said:

Don't laugh, but have you ever thought about Delaware? RE taxes are ridiculously low, no state income tax and normally nothing more than a dusting of snow if that, in the winter. I have a relative who has a beach home there at the mouth of the Delaware River and it's oceanside, without the larger waves. 

I have not been to Delaware since I was a kid, so nope, never considered it.  ?

3 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

We were in St Augustine, and yes, it can get cold (most years I wore my winter coat + scarf + gloves until the second week of February, although there were years I was in shorts at that time). We did have to have a heat exchanger and a coastal unit air conditioning system (the price of being on  the ocean ? ).

We bought our retirement home last year in Palm Springs.  We are our there now and it’s “cool” at 103. I love it. We were meeting the developer to design the pool. I’m not moving here without one.