New York (again)

1 hour ago, B-Man said:

CHANGE: 

Manhattan just lost its stranglehold on white-collar workers. 

“The white-collar workforce has proved it can skip the office not just one day, not just a week, not just two weeks, but for nearly five months now. Five months isn’t forever, no. But it is a long time. Just as emerging city and state officials want to extract more, in higher taxes, from business and its workers, the balance of power has indefinitely changed.”

If you do not work in an office in Manhattan (or anywhere in the city of New York), do you have to pay NYC city income tax? For example if my house is in NJ and I am working from home instead of my office in Midtown, does the NYC city tax now go away?  If that is how it works, that is gonna leave an even bigger hole in the NYC budget.

7 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

If you do not work in an office in Manhattan (or anywhere in the city of New York), do you have to pay NYC city income tax? For example if my house is in NJ and I am working from home instead of my office in Midtown, does the NYC city tax now go away?  If that is how it works, that is gonna leave an even bigger hole in the NYC budget.

No.  There used to be a commuter tax, Rudy got rid of it, and the left has been screaming about it ever since.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I am not stating you are wrong but the job description is very pertinent to this. My cousin does small business finance and they were quickly able to do their job from home, and they will likely change there the office needs based on currently only needing to go in twice a week and getting everything else done from home. I as a teacher need to see kids face to face to make it work properly. The 4th quarter was abysmal for effort and achievement from the kids.

I absolutely disagree. I’m not discussing the ability to get your work done remotely. People need a change of scenery. When where you live also becomes your place of work there is a psychological issue here.  Also not everyone has the square footage/floor plan to accommodate a home office. My wife had commendered our dining room table as her “office” the past four plus months and our place ain’t cheap. 

Companies are going to use this as a way to greatly reduce their lease payments.  My office is $11k a month plus HVAC at $50 an hour if someone comes in on the weekend.  They have to really consider the change in productivity by having people work from home. Not everyone is cut out for that. 

DE BLASIO BRINGS BACK THE BAD OLD DAYS: 

New York City has already had more shootings in 2020 than in the whole of 2019 — with another seven attacks on Sunday morning alone.

Fortunately, Hizzoner is focused like a laser on solving New York’s real problems: Mayor Bill de Blasio says NYC seal should be re-examined.

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/1/2020 at 2:10 PM, KD in CA said:

No.  There used to be a commuter tax, Rudy got rid of it, and the left has been screaming about it ever since.

But of course you still pay the full bore NYS tax, even if you don't set foot in NYS.  

Cuomo beats back ‘surprise’ AOC challenge to lead NY delegation to DNC

Gov. Andrew Cuomo easily defeated Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Tuesday in a surprise challenge to determine who will head New York’s delegation to the Democratic National Convention.

Democratic Party chairman Jay Jacobs — a Cuomo ally — fumed that he was “blindsided” when a motion was made to nominate AOC to head the delegation during an online Democratic Committee meeting.

Still, Cuomo received 218 votes compared to the 34 votes gleaned by the first-term congresswoman, who represents portions of Queens and The Bronx, Jacobs said

</snip>

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Cuomo so sio much more popular than death DeSantis 

not even close, 33,000 deaths in NYS,  while Florida 5500 deaths and Florida has 2 million + more people, NYS 2nd highest state tax in US, Florida 0 state tax, who's doing the better job?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Cuomo so sio much more popular than death DeSantis 

Que ?

Cuomo begs wealthy New Yorkers to come back to save the city as he fights off calls to raise their taxes - which he fears may scare them away forever

by Jennifer Smith

Original Article

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, bilzfancy said:

not even close, 33,000 deaths in NYS,  while Florida 5500 deaths and Florida has 2 million + more people, NYS 2nd highest state tax in US, Florida 0 state tax, who's doing the better job?

They do hve more vit D then us. It isnt just because their Governor isnt a grandma killer.

• Like (+1) 1