New York (again)

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Kodak to add 300 Rochester jobs to make drug ingredients, WSJ says

Eastman Kodak Co. has received a $765 million government loan to help expedite the domestic production of drugs to treat a variety of medical conditions and loosen the country's reliance on foreign sources, according to The Wall Street Journal.

The move is expected to create approximately 300 jobs in Rochester and up to 50 jobs in Minnesota, Kodak chairman and chief executive officer Jim Continenza told the Journal.

</snip>

Interesting way to diversify, after digital cameras killed the film-roll making industry.

2 hours ago, Koko78 said:

Interesting way to diversify, after digital cameras killed the film-roll making industry.

I grew up in Rochester and was told by some Kodak employees that Kodak created a digital camera before most others but mothballed it because they did not think it would viable for decades. Those decades obviously were shrunk down to much less.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I grew up in Rochester and was told by some Kodak employees that Kodak created a digital camera before most others but mothballed it because they did not think it would viable for decades. Those decades obviously were shrunk down to much less.

I wonder where those geniuses ended up?

4 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

It's pretty well established that Kodak invented digital before anyone else and mothballed it because they made their real money selling and processing film.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The Trump administration was slow to recognize coronavirus threat from Europe, CDC director admits

"The introduction from Europe happened before we realized what was happening," Redfield said. "By the time we realized (the) Europe threat and shut down travel to Europe, there was probably already two or three weeks of 60,000 people coming back every day from Europe," he added.

"That's where the large seeding came in the Unites States."

The US restricted travel from China on February 2 and from Europe on March 13, but by March 8, Covid-19 was already circulating among the community in New York City and, by March 15, community transmission of the virus was already widespread, a recent analysis from the CDC found.

By the time the Trump administration banned travelers from Europe, the virus was already spreading in New York City, according to the report. Testing was also limited at the start of the epidemic there, allowing people with undetected cases to spread the virus.

During the ABC interview, Redfield also admitted that there have been problems with the federal response.

The CDC director discussed his initial response to news of something mysterious happening in central China.

He said he got a phone call on New Year's Eve last year alerting him to an incident involving a respiratory condition in Wuhan and he told ABC he knew it was serious. He said he wrote the first situation report on the incident the very next day.

"We felt that this had potential to be a very serious situation that had national security implications."

The CDC was ready to send in a team of scientists within a week, but the Chinese government refused to let them in, Redfield said, something he has said before and pointed to as a reason the US got a later start in identifying the dangerous virus and taking action.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/28/health/redfield-coronavirus-spread-abc/index.html

Dr Redfield now has my respect for this honesty 

17 hours ago, KD in CA said:

It's pretty well established that Kodak invented digital before anyone else and mothballed it because they made their real money selling and processing film.

So I am correct but it is much more common knowledge then I realize? I call that a win for me. ?

• Like (+1) 1

....and from the AP no less......thought Big Fredo was the NYS Gatekeeper??........THE Covid-19 Gateway to the US, but Trump didn't act fast enough....um....er...oh...uh......well.....had to be him......SMH..

Up to 8,000 Chinese nationals came into US after Trump banned travel due to coronavirus: AP

More than 600 flights brought in travelers from these areas after Trump announced his travel ban in late January and it was enacted Feb. 2.

Thousands of Chinese citizens have reportedly come into the U.S. since President Trump restricted travel on foreign nationals in January, arriving from China after the coronavirus outbreak.

According to a recent report by The Associated Press, citing data it obtained regarding travel from the U.S. Commerce Department, as many as 8,000 Chinese nationals and foreign residents of Hong Kong and Macao have entered the U.S. over the last three months.

More than 600 flights brought in travelers from these areas after Trump announced his travel ban in late January and it was enacted Feb. 2.

Trump’s initial travel ban included any non-U.S. travelers coming from China, and excluded anyone coming from Hong Kong or Macau in late January.

Travelers from Hong Kong and Macao also did not face the same scrutiny or screening processes as Americans or any foreign nationals coming into the U.S. after having been in Wuhan -- where the coronavirus outbreak started.

Flight records from FlightAware provided to The Associated Press showed that 5,600 Chinese and foreign nationals from Hong Kong and Macau arrived in the U.S. in February. More than 2,000 passengers from the same administrative zones arrived in March and an additional 150 in April, according to The AP report.

https://www.foxnews.com/world/8000-chinese-nationals-came-into-us-after-trump-travel-ban-coronavirus

5 hours ago, GG said:

Other than that, how was the play, Mrs Lincoln?

I have this vision of Max Boot curled under his desk in the fetal position, crying because he never got invited to join the Lincoln Project. Millions of dollars going to LP and Max is just Jennifer Ruben with a hat.

2 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

should be interesting to see how the state creatively closes the estimated $30,000,000,000 budget gap (that is all Trump’s fault, obviously)!  I wonder what they will do.

I am wondering where you are getting $30B from? I know I can't trust the media but I am only seeing $6B

17 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

should be interesting to see how the state creatively closes the estimated $30,000,000,000 budget gap (that is all Trump’s fault, obviously)!  I wonder what they will do.

They should keep businesses shut down longer and raise taxes on the "rich!" I am sure that will work. :wacko:

On 7/28/2020 at 8:29 PM, KD in CA said:

And the first digital camera they built in 1975 would have cost $25000 to produce.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, fansince88 said:

And the first digital camera they built in 1975 would have cost $25000 to produce.

My first digital camera was a Sony Mavica that used floppy disks. Cost me $853. Bought it sometime in the mid to late 90's.