New York (again)

Prostitution could become legal throughout NY

WHECTV
Created: February 10, 2020 06:08 AM

ALBANY, N.Y. (WHEC) — State lawmakers have reintroduced a bill on prostitution in the senate after it failed to make it out of committee last year.

The law would make it legal to both buy and sell sex in most cases.

Sex workers argue the laws currently in place only punish them and do not impact the people who use their services.

If passed, New York would become the first state to decriminalize sex work. Right now, Nevada is the only state where prostitution is legal, though not statewide.

https://www.whec.com/livingston-county-ny-news/prostitution--committee-legalize/5639139/?cat=565

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Pregnancy Center Accuses New York of Religious Discrimination

Crisis pregnancy center EMC Frontline filed a lawsuit against New York over the “Boss Bill,” which forces nonprofits and religious institutions to hire people that do not share their views.

The center claims the law violates its 1st and 14th Amendment rights.

The center provides help for pregnant women and newborns:

“When you have a pro-life group that’s dedicated to work[ing] against abortion, for them to hire an opponent is patently absurd,” Slattery told the Washington Free Beacon. “For Catholic schools to have to hire pro-choice school teachers, priests, bishops, deacons—it’s patently absurd.”

The law prohibits employers from deciding not to hire an employee based on the employee’s or an employee’s dependent’s “reproductive health decisions.” It also prevents employers from accessing “an employee’s personal information regarding the employee’s or the dependent’s reproductive health decision making,” including “the decision to use or access a particular drug, device, or medical service.” New York City passed a similar law shortly after Gov. Andrew Cuomo signed the statewide “Boss Bill” in November.

The Supreme Court struck down a similar law in California in 2018, 5-4. That law made “crisis pregnancy centers to advertise abortion and contraceptive services to their clients.”

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

They are meeting today (have met?). 

Sorry Andrew, your pals in Congress one upped you on this today:

https://abc14news.com/2020/02/12/tensions-flare-at-house-session-as-dems-take-aim-at-trump-travel-ban/

....it'll be nothing more than grandstanding for you tomorrow.

Even the Kennedys couldn't stand Andy and his ego. They were glad to see him finally leave their family loop:

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2015/03/cuomo-kennedy-cuomolot-marriage

Edited by I am the egg man

On 2/12/2020 at 1:53 PM, Buffalo_Gal said:

They are meeting today (have met?). 

Follow-up:

Cuomo, Trump leave border crossing talks unresolved

Gov. Andrew Cuomo and President Donald Trump did not come to an agreement on restoring expedited border-crossing programs for New Yorkers during a White House meeting on Thursday, but both sides said in statements that they haven't given up negotiating.

Acting Homeland Security Secretary Chad Wolf, who participated in the meeting, called it “productive.”

</snip>

• Thank you (+1) 2

...another "Big Fredo" pro business idea......rough numbers say it would cost our company $1 mil/yr.......

Gov. Cuomo wants paid sick time for workers in New York

WHECTV
Created: February 14, 2020 04:05 PM

ALBANY, N.Y. (WHEC) — As part of Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s 2020 state budget plan, he’s trying to get every worker in the state paid sick time.

Businesses with five to 99 employees would have to provide workers with at least five days of paid sick time, and businesses with 100 or more workers would have to give workers at least seven paid sick days.

Small businesses would have to provide workers five days of job-protected unpaid sick time.

According to a national study by the Public Welfare Foundation, nearly 25% of workers say they have lost a job or were threatened with job loss for taking sick time.

2 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...another "Big Fredo" pro business idea......rough numbers say it would cost our company $1 mil/yr.......

Gov. Cuomo wants paid sick time for workers in New York

WHECTV
Created: February 14, 2020 04:05 PM

ALBANY, N.Y. (WHEC) — As part of Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s 2020 state budget plan, he’s trying to get every worker in the state paid sick time.

Businesses with five to 99 employees would have to provide workers with at least five days of paid sick time, and businesses with 100 or more workers would have to give workers at least seven paid sick days.

Small businesses would have to provide workers five days of job-protected unpaid sick time.

According to a national study by the Public Welfare Foundation, nearly 25% of workers say they have lost a job or were threatened with job loss for taking sick time.

What most companies will probably do if they have to have mandatory sick time (separate from PTO) is they will just take that amount of PTO and make it sick days, so people will have less vacation time.

7 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

What most companies will probably do if they have to have mandatory sick time (separate from PTO) is they will just take that amount of PTO and make it sick days, so people will have less vacation time.

..understand what you are saying with my apology for not being clearer regarding our company.....on average, I have 175 Union electricians who do NOT get vacation time (there is a small factor in their base pay rate).....so if Big Fredo makes it "all inclusive", disregarding my contract with the Union, it is an adder for us.......

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

..understand what you are saying with my apology for not being clearer regarding our company.....on average, I have 175 Union electricians who do NOT get vacation time (there is a small factor in their base pay rate).....so if Big Fredo makes it "all inclusive", disregarding my contract with the Union, it is an adder for us.......

I wonder what the unintended consequences of this are? Could it be making everything more expensive in NY and in turn raising more tax money? 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

I wonder what the unintended consequences of this are? Could it be making everything more expensive in NY and in turn raising more tax money? 

...his Weed Tax will solve everything.......I'm 66 and too entrenched in my job monetarily to pull the plug now......perhaps two more years.....he is yet another one of our NYS finest....

2 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...his Weed Tax will solve everything.......I'm 66 and too entrenched in my job monetarily to pull the plug now......perhaps two more years.....he is yet another one of our NYS finest....

His weed tax is a joke. It will still be cheaper to just go to the black market dealers.

• Like (+1) 2