Bledsoe on Brady: "Thought he wouldn't be a starter"

Drew Bledsoe thought that Brady would never be a starter in the NFL.  Took him under his wing.  Had him over for dinner.  Set him up with his financial advisor to make sure he invested his NFL money, because he'd need good investments for his backup pay.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/01/27/drew-bledsoe-recalls-believing-tom-brady-would-never-be-a-starter/

Well, that worked out great ....... for Tom Brady

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, billsfanmiami(oh) said:

Drew Bledsoe is an #######, quite frankly. Incredibly unlikable guy 

Quite right.  I heard him interviewed by NFLR  sometime back, and came off that interview saying, thank god we were rid of him in two years.  He is just so full of himself, and the one time I’m actually happy for Brady.

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, billsfanmiami(oh) said:

Drew Bledsoe is an #######, quite frankly. Incredibly unlikable guy 

I didn't find this at all, and he was very active in the community in his brief stint here. 

That he didn't think Brady would last was just an incorrect opinion (and it's great that he tells the story now that Brady is the greatest QB ever) and that he didn't want to pass the mantle of the team he lead for a decade in the playoffs is what you'd expect from any franchise QB. 

• Like (+1) 2

I think most people, whether famous or not, can come across very different depending on the situation.  I had two interactions with Drew away from football and found him to be genuine.  I also had a terrific conversation with Gregg Williams on the set of a PSA shoot, and Rex bought my buddies and I a beer, so like I said, opinions vary depending on the situation. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

“This is MY team!” Bledsoe commenting on whether he’ll face a QB competition following the loss to Steelers practice squad with post season in the balance.

Classic last comment from the soon to be traded ‘savior’.

Hey he had a great 8 game run to start off his Buffalo career! Thought we had something there for a minute 

1 hour ago, Seasons1992 said:

True. But he makes really, really great wine these days. Washington state makes incredible reds.

What wine is he involved w?

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Drew’s probably thinking, “where were all the cheating schemes when I was starting?”

They had already started.  As he was leaving New England for Buffalo, I think Brady tied all of Bledsoe’s pairs of cleats together, and Drew never caught on.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Jumpsuit Jim said:

Full disclosure: After the Pats won the Super Bowl over the Rams (Drew’s injury year, Brady was the backup) I thought that we would get Brady - the plucky backup - as our QB as the Pats wouldn’t keep both, and Drew was their “franchise”. 

I was mistaken. 

I certainly didn't think much of him in that 1st SB.  He had 1 TD, and basically 2 good passes - the one TD, and the one on the GW FG drive when Madden thought they'd take a knee and play for overtime.

Had the greatest show on turf showed up, that game would have been a blowout.  I wonder if/how that would have affected Brady's future. Probably not much since he's so driven, but one can dream.

It's funny reading the Pats boards right now.  They realize it's ending, and the most common sentiment is that it's perfect timing, because "all they have to do" is figure out some way to get Lawrence next year, either by tanking or getting a team in the top draft position to trade w/ them.

They have no idea how hard it is to get a decent QB.  It could be fun to watch in the next few years.

• Like (+1) 3