Who Is Your Least Favorite Bill of All Time ... and Why?

Gugny

My least favorite Bill of all time is Russ Brandon.  I'll excuse Wilson for hiring him because Wilson was an old guy who couldn't adapt to modern NFL, and probably believed that Brandon's bill of goods was viable.  Since Brandon also convinced the much younger and competent Terry Pegula to not only keep him on but promote him, speaks to exactly how persuasive Brandon was.  Until he was fired for lying to the Pegulas about his sexual harassing of a Sabres employee, he gave Bills fans 12+ years of misery -- and his influence may still permeate the Bills organization.

Brandon controlled the Bills from 2006 through 2018.  During the 12 full years that Brandon "reigned", the Bills had 2 winning seasons -- 2014 and 2017.  They made the playoffs once in 2017.   They won 83 games over 12 seasons -- an average of less than 7 games a season.  Brandon hired my most hated Bills HC of all time, Dick Jauron.  Brandon blatantly manipulated the fan base with big $$$ FA signings that masked the reality that the teams he and his minions were filled with bottom feeder players.  Bringing in Terrell Owens in 2009 was the most egregious example.  I think the Bills sold 55k+ season tickets because of that signing. 

My biggest concern about Beane as the Bills GM is that since he was hired when Brandon controlled the Bills that he shares Brandon's "money ball" philosophy.  Hopefully, winning football games rather than making more profits means more to Pegula and Beane than it did to Wilson and Brandon.

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Gugny said:

I just read the latest Sam Watkins thread.  Man, I couldn't stand that lazy piece of crap.

But my least favorite Bill of all time, hands down, is Doug Flutie.

Why?  He was a me-first, selfish player and a horrible teammate who divided the locker room.  A pompous, arrogant ass who had minimal talent.

People thought he was "a winner."  He was not a winner.  He was a QB with a top 3 defense who underperformed on offense, which led to the Bills doing nothing during his tenure.

Who is YOUR least favorite Bill and why do you feel that way?

You are honestly just making things up to justify your hate for flutie. 

I obviously respect you as poster here but one thing I’ve noticed is if you happen to not like a guys character you will go out of your way to fabricate things to support it. 

fluties “underperforming” offense was ranked 7th in yds and 6th in pts in 98 and then 11th in yds and 16th in pts in 99. He also got sacked a third of the times that Johnson got sacked behind the same exact line. 

I also saw you said rob johnson did his job that day. LOLOLOLOL. If his job was to do as little as possible, while getting sacked 5 times and giving up a safety and somehow slither his way to a FG at the end.... sure he did his job. You’re gonna falsely accuse flutie of underperforming on offense and then say Johnson “did his job”. Commme on my man! 

again.... I honestly enjoy your takes around here but you let your judgement of people’s character blind you to the actual facts on the field. It’s the national FOOTBALL league, not the national “he’s swell guy” league. If you wanna say you hated him strictly because he was a jerk then go ahead. But don’t try and back it up by citing his play the statistics and results just don’t support that. 

that said..... Robo sack, Maybin, and Mills come to mind as players I really grew to despise. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, Virgil said:

Nailed it.  This guy was the worst football player to ever grace a field.  Dude was an absolute dumpster fire.  If he was on the field, expect him to get caught all over or be completely out of position. 

After him:

Kelsay - Should be in jail for robbery with his contract and performance

Jason Peters - ungrateful 

Willis McGahee - just an asshat

Donte Whitner - Not his fault we drafted him so high, but still sucked 

The rest of the people I could list just plain sucked, but I didn’t blame them for

it.  

Oh man I forgot about Jason Peters!!!!

ok its a tie for him and Whitner

15 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I obviously respect you as poster here but one thing I’ve noticed is if you happen to not like a guys character you will go out of your way to fabricate things to support it. 

fluties “underperforming” offense was ranked 7th in yds and 6th in pts in 98 and then 11th in yds and 16th in pts in 99. He also got sacked a third of the times that Johnson got sacked behind the same exact line. 

I also saw you said rob johnson did his job that day. LOLOLOLOL. If his job was to do as little as possible, while getting sacked 5 times and giving up a safety and somehow slither his way to a FG at the end.... sure he did his job. You’re gonna falsely accuse flutie of underperforming on offense and then say Johnson “did his job”. Commme on my man! 

again.... I honestly enjoy your takes around here but you let your judgement of people’s character blind you to the actual facts on the field. It’s the national FOOTBALL league, not the national “he’s swell guy” league. If you wanna say you hated him strictly because he was a jerk then go ahead. But don’t try and back it up by citing his play the statistics and results just don’t support that. 

that said..... Robo sack, Maybin, and Mills come to mind as players I really grew to despise. 

I will admit that once I decide I dislike a player, that my bias is clearly displayed.  But I don't think I'm fabricating anything.  Our offense under Tyrod was ranked similarly and it similarly did not score points when the Bills needed points.

Amassing yards and scoring points is great as long as you're doing those things when it matters most.

My bigger knock on Flutie is him as a person.  I think he was a crappy team mate who really had no sense of team in him.  You are correct, though …. I have trouble acknowledging anything good that he may have done on the field.  Definitely guilty as charged.  But I do honestly believe that he really didn't do much on the field, other than provide some excitement.  I'd much rather have boring and scoring more points than the other team.

As far as Johnson in TEN goes, I'm not saying he played great .. or even well.  But he did leave the game with a lead.

Lastly, the respect is mutual.

Cheers!

• Like (+1) 1

i've hated lots of players at different times.

i was in toronto when flutie was on the bills, and the over the top fan love for him just was too much for me.  imagine if pats fans were fans of your team for some reason, imagine the pain!

i think flutie hit a wall pretty hard a little bit through the season and just trailed off and sucked, and he was and is a world class jerk.  people like him because he's a runt, he's a gifted jerk athlete but short, it doesn't make him any more relate-able or likable to me.

even tho bledsoe was half checked out of football when we got him, and old and slow, he showed that a competent qb with the weapons we had could just light it up.

reed, moulds, price, reimersma, and our RBs were better than any set of weapons we've had since.  imagine adding a moulds and price to our team today!

honorable mention:

mike williams

jp losman

marcel

karlos williams (because he coulda been such a weapon for us)

and a few others

9 hours ago, ALLEN1QB said:

Minimal talent? The guy won how many championships in Canada? I thought everyone liked Flutie. Even had his own cereal geeez. 

By all accounts I’ve heard, dude was a first class azzwhole, but I never had any interaction with him. He definitely had talent and energized the bills fan base when they desperately needed it, but opposing defenses caught on to his skill set rather quickly, so he was more of a flash in the pan type. 

10 hours ago, Gugny said:

I just read the latest Sam Watkins thread.  Man, I couldn't stand that lazy piece of crap.

But my least favorite Bill of all time, hands down, is Doug Flutie.

Why?  He was a me-first, selfish player and a horrible teammate who divided the locker room.  A pompous, arrogant ass who had minimal talent.

People thought he was "a winner."  He was not a winner.  He was a QB with a top 3 defense who underperformed on offense, which led to the Bills doing nothing during his tenure.

Who is YOUR least favorite Bill and why do you feel that way?

When a guy starts his first game for a 0-3 team and promptly goes 10-1 he is a winner. Flutie was not the best QB in league but he was much better than Rob Johnson. But my most hated is McGahee- I did not like it when they drafted him and he never turned my opinion.

3 hours ago, GreggTX said:

Phil Villapiano. The whole time he was here he complained about being here. His only memorable quote was "Buffalo may not be the end of the world, but you can see it from there." I was glad to see him gone. He sucked anyways.

He is one of the best, if not THE best blocking TE in the NFL. They didn't sign him to split the safeties deep anyways. Also, he doesn't drop passes.

Slowest Bill ever and after 2 seasons, he still didn't even know the playbook.

That quote is actually hilarious!  If we’re being honest, Buffalo was not “all that” back in those days ... I guess I’m not thin skinned about buffalo jabs like many seem to be. 

9 hours ago, Virgil said:

Nailed it.  This guy was the worst football player to ever grace a field.  Dude was an absolute dumpster fire.  If he was on the field, expect him to get caught all over or be completely out of position. 

After him:

Kelsay - Should be in jail for robbery with his contract and performance

Jason Peters - ungrateful 

Willis McGahee - just an asshat

Donte Whitner - Not his fault we drafted him so high, but still sucked 

The rest of the people I could list just plain sucked, but I didn’t blame them for

it.  

We haven't had a "Punt Catcher" as good as Chris Watson since he left the team!

I may not miss Chris Watson, who certainly belongs on any list of least favorite Bills - but I do miss Old Wade Phillips - he was a good head coach and a great defensive coordinator. Not to mention, he also had a few funny lines for us to cherish.

1 hour ago, Stank_Nasty said:

So true. If Flutie was supposedly so divisive then why did the team around him play harder then when Robosack was in. It makes no sense. I love how many Flutie haters were physically in the locker room witnessing all these atrocities.  So adorable. 

They were both jokes.  But the Bills were winning a playoff game when Rob Johnson left the field.  He did his job.

Yeah, RJ killed it that day.  10-22, 131 yards, 64.8 rating, 1 safety, and 1 lost fumble.  He really did his job.  Contrast that with that loser Flutie.  21-36, 360 yards, 1 td, 1 int, 90 rating.  

RJ is a cupcake.  And as someone who has a family friend who knows him well, all he did was talk about how much he hated Buffalo and how miserable he was.  He sucked. 

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

Do coaches count? I ask because it would Rex Ryan hands down. Lazy, no account, bloviating wind bag phony. 

I was excited when we hired him.  I have never been more wrong.  He destroyed one of the best defenses in the NFL.  But I love seeing his bloated self on TV talking about how he shut down Brady.  He is so delusional.

• Like (+1) 1

OJ

He was my hero when I was growing up. And then he became the reason I stopped thinking of celebrities as heroes. (This was long before the murders - in the early 80s, there were numerous reports of domestic violence from his house.)

• Like (+1) 1

They were both jokes.  But the Bills were winning a playoff game when Rob Johnson left the field.  He did his job.

I absolutely completely 100% disagree with you on Flutie. He won games and got the team to the playoffs after the unmentionable QB crapfest of 1997. That's why Billy Jo Hobert is my worst Bill ever. 

BUT..............you are correct in your quote above. I distinctly remember yelling at the TV to "put Flutie in!" at halftime in Nashville. I'll be damned if Rob didn't lead them to a win that day, only to be stolen away by a forward lateral. Phil Luckett, you can go rot.