Who Is Your Least Favorite Bill of All Time ... and Why?

Gugny

15 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Aaron Schobel.  Grossly overrated by....everyone.  Terrible against the run and was overwhelmed by good-great OTs.  

Totally agree with and completely forgot about Fina, but man I loved Schobel. I get it, I think he was bit overrated and put up a lot of garbage time stats but he worked hard for a lot of bad teams. How could you rate him lower than Kelsay, though?  

Edited by Nelius

50 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Aaron Schobel.  Grossly overrated by....everyone.  Terrible against the run and was overwhelmed by good-great OTs.  

This seriously must be a joke.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Codyny13 said:

Nothing like hating the man that works hard and does his best, right. Lifelong Bill...??‍♂️

He belongs on the Wall of Fame.  WAY more than Cookie G.   He was an awesome Bill.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Gugny said:

He belongs on the Wall of Fame.  WAY more than Cookie G.   He was an awesome Bill.

Back when the bills website board was still going morons would constantly bring up the “garbage time” sack and Aaron schobel. I actually took the time to go over his sacks over a strong 3 year period he had.... if my memory serves me correctly, something like 70% of his sacks were had when it was still a one score game or we had a lead. It was a completely bogus argument people seemed to want to use against him. 

7 hours ago, Nelius said:

Totally agree with and completely forgot about Fina, but man I loved Schobel. I get it, I think he was bit overrated and put up a lot of garbage time stats but he worked hard for a lot of bad teams. How could you rate him lower than Kelsay, though?  

Go ahead and look at the post right above this one. 

the garbage time sack was a complete myth. I took the time at one point to disprove it

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Nelius said:

I just didn't have the expectations for Kelsay that I did Schobel.  

8 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

John Fina.  Worst starting left tackle in the league yet started multiple seasons.  

wrong on both counts.  Both were solid starters in this league.  

• Like (+1) 1

Maybin hands down.   It was already bad enough that a few better players had fallen to us when he was picked instead.  On top of being worse than many 7th rounder and UDFA's on a given year he felt the need to hold out longer than anyone the year that he was drafted.   Next to Jamarcus Russell, probably was a big reason why rookie contracts were changed up a few years back.

As a player, Did not try, his career never even came close to the level of a replacement level rotation player, let alone that star that people expect from a top 10 pick.  After his stint with the Bills, goes on the Jets and is used by Rex Ryan as a way to taunt the bills by getting a few garbage time sacks.  After his career, trashes football in general and has nothing but negative to say about the Bills.    Just about every other Bill on this thread either was not on the team long term or at some point has a redeeming quality or legitimate reason for disappointing play.   Not Maybin, bad on all levels. 

Edited by dgrochester55
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

But as you pointed out all the other QBs were terrible too. No argument after first 8 games he was awful but you have to include those games when you compare him to all the others. 

Even still he was 23-25, 59.1% completion, 59 total TDs, 62 total turnovers, sacked 140 times, and averaged 214.3 yards a game. He was a bad player here.

By comparison Tyrod (who was decent): 23-20, 62.6% completion, 65 total TDs, 21 total turnovers, sacked 124 times, 237.1 total yards a game

I don’t mean dwell on it but there has always been a lot of debate on here as to who was the best QB since Kelly. Often times people mention Bledsoe. He isn’t in the conversation. They remember those first 8 games but forget how bad he really was for the majority of his time in a Bills uniform. An argument can be made for Flutie, Tyrod or Fitz but not Bledsoe (I’m not including Josh even though he may already be the answer). 

That’s why he’s on my least favorite list. He’s the most overrated player that the Bills have had.

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 1

On 2/2/2020 at 11:23 AM, Coach Tuesday said:

I remember that pass to Josh Reed and had the same reaction to it.  Looked for a video of it a few years back but came up empty.  Was an amazing throw.

2:50 mark.

After the game my friends and I got lost on the way back to the metro, then my friend's metro card got eaten by the machineat the end of the trip so he jumped the turnstile so a cop stopped us. Since he was drunk, he started getting snippy with the cop, thankfully he let us go. That was a long day. 

On 1/30/2020 at 8:06 AM, SoTier said:

My least favorite Bill of all time is Russ Brandon.  I'll excuse Wilson for hiring him because Wilson was an old guy who couldn't adapt to modern NFL, and probably believed that Brandon's bill of goods was viable.  Since Brandon also convinced the much younger and competent Terry Pegula to not only keep him on but promote him, speaks to exactly how persuasive Brandon was.  Until he was fired for lying to the Pegulas about his sexual harassing of a Sabres employee, he gave Bills fans 12+ years of misery -- and his influence may still permeate the Bills organization.

Brandon controlled the Bills from 2006 through 2018.  During the 12 full years that Brandon "reigned", the Bills had 2 winning seasons -- 2014 and 2017.  They made the playoffs once in 2017.   They won 83 games over 12 seasons -- an average of less than 7 games a season.  Brandon hired my most hated Bills HC of all time, Dick Jauron.  Brandon blatantly manipulated the fan base with big $$$ FA signings that masked the reality that the teams he and his minions were filled with bottom feeder players.  Bringing in Terrell Owens in 2009 was the most egregious example.  I think the Bills sold 55k+ season tickets because of that signing. 

My biggest concern about Beane as the Bills GM is that since he was hired when Brandon controlled the Bills that he shares Brandon's "money ball" philosophy.  Hopefully, winning football games rather than making more profits means more to Pegula and Beane than it did to Wilson and Brandon.

I completely agree.  His dream is/was to be a baseball GM, but got his break in the NFL and tried to learn how to do that.  Ralph Wilson loved Brandon and gave him every opportunity.  This shielded the Bills from attracting (or attempting to attract) and coach or executive with clout and credibility.  He thought he would be sent packing with new ownership, even had his buddy float that the Raiders were interested in him... but somehow, the Pegulas decided to keep Brandon around.  

The guy was human poison for a football organization.  Notice how all those organizational leaks and fighting stopped once he was gone?  

The McDermott hire spelled the end of that.  McDermott was purely a Pegula hire, and essentially succeeded in walling Russ Brandon out of the football department.  Pegula was fully vested in McDermott, and it resulted in Beane being hand-selected by McDermott as GM.  

I'm going with Hank Bullough. (sorry for the spelling, Hank) The players hated him. Plus, that was the time when the Bills started assembling guys from the

Super Bowl years, Bruce, Kelly, Reed,Tasker, and several more, and we were still loosing games. He sucked so bad the players didn't want to play for him. The worst, the absolute worst.

On 1/31/2020 at 3:40 PM, rockpile said:

Place kicker Booth Lusteg.

Took on his brother's identity when applying for a spot in Buffalo to replace an injured Pete Gogolak, so he became (on paper) four years younger and a Boston College graduate. 

Was a 50% FG kicker in 1966.

Missed a gimme field goal against San Diego, so the game ended a tie.

Fans waited for him outside the Rockpile and kicked his ass after that game!

I was at that game, but not one of the thugs. :P

Thanks for the history, rockpile. I didn't that about Booth.

5 hours ago, RevWarRifleman said:

I'm going with Hank Bullough. (sorry for the spelling, Hank) The players hated him. Plus, that was the time when the Bills started assembling guys from the

Super Bowl years, Bruce, Kelly, Reed,Tasker, and several more, and we were still loosing games. He sucked so bad the players didn't want to play for him. The worst, the absolute worst.

IIRC, there was a near mutiny among the Bills vets due to Bullough's methods, but I don't remember the details.