Brees ponders retirement; Saints see Hill as 2021 starter?

10 hours ago, MJS said:

I don't see any scenario where Rodgers could be considered a better QB than Peyton Manning or Tom Brady, personally. And I never liked it when Rodgers was referred to as the best. I just think all around QBing they were better. What Rodgers has over them is one thing, and that's mobility.

Rodgers “lost” playoffs games where his defense gave up 51, 37, 45,44, and 37 points.  Better team, he has a few more rings.  You’re splitting hairs when comparing them but Brady always had a much stronger defense and Manning was awful for his second SB run.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

Those are very different numbers. Even on the face of them as presented.

Brady was also 27th in the league in YPA. It took him 44 more attempts, basically an entire game's worth, to put him the 55 total yards accounted for in your figure.

This is all notwithstanding the fact that he was in the same system w/McDaniels he's played in his entire career basically, whereas Rodgers and LaFleur were sort of making it up as they went w/a banged up Davante Adams and one of the worst wideout rooms in the league.

He has a better WR room than Brady. Additionally, he has a vastly superior running game that teams need to respect. This feels like  cherry picking stats to put through a narrative that they were vastly different players. They weren’t. They were elite game managers and borderline top 10 QBs. Neither was elite this past year and not really that close.

6 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

He has a better WR room than Brady. Additionally, he has a vastly superior running game that teams need to respect. This feels like  cherry picking stats to put through a narrative that they were vastly different players. They weren’t. They were elite game managers and borderline top 10 QBs. Neither was elite this past year and not really that close.

I never claimed either performed at an elite level last season, I disputed that they had similar years.

Rogers has better wideouts than Brady? Adams is a good player but hurt this year...he was throwing to a combination of Geronimo Allison, Marquez Valdez-Scantling, and Allen Lazard. How is that better than Edelman/Sanu/Harry/Dorsette? 

Better run game, for sure. But I don't think you want to go down the rabbithole of how a run game props up a QB unless you want to get into questioning guys like Jackson/Wilson/Tannehill and the years they had...it's something to consider but I wouldn't use it to make a point about QB effectiveness because they're too intertwined. 

Simply put Brady is no longer a top10 guy by QB efficiency or effectiveness: he had the better weapons and vastly more comfortable situation re:scheme continuity and his ANY/A put him at 17th in the league. Rodgers was sitting at 11th which is not great but he had the tougher row to hoe. 

On 1/29/2020 at 9:35 PM, Buffalo619 said:

Brees, Rivers, Brady all should retire. The time has come. 

I think Rivers and Brady are done.  Their arms look like a noodle.  Reminds me of Marino’s last year.  I think Brees can play another year.

13 minutes ago, Manther said:

I think Rivers and Brady are done.  Their arms look like a noodle.  Reminds me of Marino’s last year.  I think Brees can play another year.

im not sure he’s much better off with his arm but he’s always been more touch than hear and with Mike Thomas, kamara and cook he’s got one of the better short space trios in the league 

Well if he does come back it sure ain't because he needs the money he has enough to live out the rest of his life very comfy & probably made enough for his kids to not have to work the rest of their lives to if they invest it the right way .

Or it might take him a month to count his money to make the decision weather or not he needs more to do what he wants to while in retirement ...?

Edited by T master

On 1/29/2020 at 9:35 PM, Buffalo619 said:

Brees, Rivers, Brady all should retire. The time has come. 

Should.....for you? I get what you’re saying, their best days are behind them. Very true. Even they can’t argue that. But it’s a very personal decision. Regardless of my career earnings, it’s hard to walk away from $25~ million. Maybe even more important, it’s hard to walk away form the thing that has been the center of your universe (family excluded) since you were a child. The locker room, the guys, the thrill, the competition, game days, etc. 

It’s a tough call, and I won’t judge anyone for their decision. On a selfish note, I hope Brady plays another decade, declining every year, but I’m not a very good person.    :)

On 1/31/2020 at 2:05 AM, MJS said:

I don't see any scenario where Rodgers could be considered a better QB than Peyton Manning or Tom Brady, personally. And I never liked it when Rodgers was referred to as the best. I just think all around QBing they were better. What Rodgers has over them is one thing, and that's mobility.

On 1/31/2020 at 2:10 AM, GoBills808 said:

Rodgers is easily the best QB of all time imo

In this order:

Brees

Rodgers

Manning

*Brady

Edited by Sherlock Holmes
  • Like (+1) 1

On 1/31/2020 at 3:49 AM, Thurman#1 said:

Rodgers is still playing really well, and in the first year of a newish system. Age is the reason they're treated differently. 36 doesn't mean you're done these days.

He's playing like a 42 year old Brady.

I call total BS.

If Hill was the QB of the future, why was he sitting behind Bridgewater when Brees went down?

He needs more time to develop as a passer? The guy is almost 30! 

Sounds like they just don't want to lose him.

Edited by LSHMEAB
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 1/31/2020 at 12:32 PM, C.Biscuit97 said:

Rodgers “lost” playoffs games where his defense gave up 51, 37, 45,44, and 37 points.  Better team, he has a few more rings.  You’re splitting hairs when comparing them but Brady always had a much stronger defense and Manning was awful for his second SB run.  

Nope.

On 1/29/2020 at 9:07 PM, The Jokeman said:

Ha! That be ironic. Yet think he moved there more due to taxes and the proximity to his childhood home in Alabama.

Eekd I had flashbacks of Tyrod Taylor with that statement.

Tyrod QB'd the most exciting and productive offense Buffalo has had since Kelly retired.  Hate him all you want but its still true.

2 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

Tyrod QB'd the most exciting and productive offense Buffalo has had since Kelly retired.  Hate him all you want but its still true.

Productive, when?  When we needed them to be productive?

5 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Yes, more productive than his predecessors and his successor.  When? During the seasons he was QB. 

If you disagree, make your case for someone else. 

I'm disagreeing that he was productive, nor that he was more productive than his predecessors.  And that's not what I questioned.

Did the Tyrod Taylor-led productive and exciting offense score points when the Bills needed them most?  That was my question.

I don't care about excitement and productivity unless they are exciting and productive drives that win football games.

3 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

You love being wrong.  ?

average points given up in playoffs started by Brady is 20.6.  Average points given up in Rodgers’ playoff starts is 28.9.

In 2003, NE D gave up 29 points in the SB (won).

in 2004, 27 to Pitt, 21 to Eagles in the SB (won)

In 2006 38 to Indy in AFCC (lost)

In 2012, 28 and 28 (and losing AFCC)

In 2014, 31 to Ravens and 24 to Seahawks to win SB

In 2016 28 to ATL in SB (won)

In 2017 41 to Eagles in SB (lost)

In 2018 28 to Chargers, 31 to KC