Sammy Watkins 'scarred' by Bills trade, didn't want to be in Buffalo

HOUSE

Just now, thebandit27 said:

I did. Guys say stuff all the time. Until he actually takes a year off I’m not putting much more into it than he’s tired from a long, grueling process.

I've never heard anyone say that after winning a championship, unless they were older or injured, but I see your point, until he does it. 

39 minutes ago, CircleTheWagons99 said:

He wants to be a pro-bowl/all-pro/hall of fame but needs to take a year off? but you are agreeing with his needing a break? like i asked/said I don't know if you read the article or not but judging by your comment and response i starting to lean towards not.....

I fond nothing wrong with what Sammy said.  He's been playing football his entire life, battled injuries early in his career and just went on deep playoff runs in back to back years.

People get burnt out.  Look at Andrew Luck.  Nobody knows his mental state but him.  If he needs a break, then so be it.  He was talking about skipping OTAs.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Chicken Boo said:

I fond nothing wrong with what Sammy said.  He's been playing football his entire life, battled injuries early in his career and just went on deep playoff runs in back to back years.

People get burnt out.  Look at Andrew Luck.  Nobody knows his mental state but him.  If he needs a break, then so be it.  He was talking about skipping OTAs.

Football is my favorite sport in the world but the grind to prepare for the season sucks.  I don’t blame any player for getting burnt out by it. 

4 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

The bigger issue, rather than wanting time off, is that he actually mentions them giving him a bigger contract... The guy whose a fringe cap casualty. This guy has never played with a full deck. 

SB win, $16 million/ year, playoffs last 3 years on 3 of the best offenses in the nfl.  For not playing with full deck, it seems to be working out for him. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

SB win, $16 million/ year, playoffs last 3 years on 3 of the best offenses in the nfl.  For not playing with full deck, it seems to be working out for him. 

The success of his teams and the fact that someone overpaid him and now regrets it is not an indication that this gentleman has a proper head on his shoulders. 

20 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

The success of his teams and the fact that someone overpaid him and now regrets it is not an indication that this gentleman has a proper head on his shoulders. 

I can 100% assure you that the Chiefs do not regret paying a guy that had 6 receptions in their first Super Bowl win in 50 years.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, thebandit27 said:

I can 100% assure you that the Chiefs do not regret paying a guy that had 6 receptions in their first Super Bowl win in 50 years.

That's such a false equivalency. They made him the highest paid receiver in the league, they paid him to be a number 1, and he's been a marginal number 2 to 3. Those five catches (not six) that he had in the SB didn't even lead his team. Production in one game does not justify the contract, and that's exactly why they will be trying to get out of the contract this year. 

6 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

That's such a false equivalency. They made him the highest paid receiver in the league, they paid him to be a number 1, and he's been a marginal number 2 to 3. Those five catches (not six) that he had in the SB didn't even lead his team. Production in one game does not justify the contract, and that's exactly why they will be trying to get out of the contract this year. 

Yes, they’ll be cutting him because his cap number doesn’t justify his production. No question.

The false equivalency is assuming that the team is disappointed that they spent $16M per year on the guy that lead their team in receiving yards this postseason and was a key contributor to their first Super Bowl win in 50 years simply because his entire body of work hasn’t justified the money they spent.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Yes, they’ll be cutting him because his cap number doesn’t justify his production. No question.

The false equivalency is assuming that the team is disappointed that they spent $16M per year on the guy that lead their team in receiving yards this postseason and was a key contributor to their first Super Bowl win in 50 years simply because his entire body of work hasn’t justified the money they spent.

So it seems like your argument is self defeating... Are you saying they view what he did this past post-season as irreplaceable and they aren't parading around KC right now without him? If that's the case, they wouldn't dream of cutting him. 

The reality is that they can be thankful that he produced when he did, but still realize they badly overpaid for him and are now in need of rectifying that situation. The problem is that it's not either or. He was overpaid. That's obvious. But he did play well this postseason. 

But to my original point, everything in this thread seems to indicate that Sammy boy has a warped understanding of himself, and his place in the NFL. That's also kinda what we realized when he was here in Buffalo. 

13 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

You joke but TO had the legs and physicality to play for at least a couple more years than he did.............but his hand/eye coordination failed him.  He got down around 49%-50% catch rate and that's just too low to tolerate for long.

For reference Dawson Knox.......who seemed to drop every other pass last year.......was at least at 56%. 

Same thing happened with James Lofton.   He could still get over the top.........I'm sure he still could have run a 4.4 40 at least........and he was still getting open and averaged over 15 ypc in his last year in Buffalo.........but his catch rate was pathetic.......only in the mid 40%.  

I believe catch rates were lower across the board in that era. 

4 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

So it seems like your argument is self defeating... Are you saying they view what he did this past post-season as irreplaceable and they aren't parading around KC right now without him? If that's the case, they wouldn't dream of cutting him. 

The reality is that they can be thankful that he produced when he did, but still realize they badly overpaid for him and are now in need of rectifying that situation. The problem is that it's not either or. He was overpaid. That's obvious. But he did play well this postseason. 

But to my original point, everything in this thread seems to indicate that Sammy boy has a warped understanding of himself, and his place in the NFL. That's also kinda what we realized when he was here in Buffalo. 

Well, ask them:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/02/04/report-chiefs-want-to-find-a-way-to-keep-sammy-watkins/

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Yeah... they want to keep him with a pay cut... Because he's overpaid... what is your argument here?... 

11 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

He was overpaid and yet an intricate part of them winning the Super Bowl so..... who the ***** cares that they overpaid? The goal is to win the championship any way possible. 

Go back and read my entry into this thread. Sammy has a broken understanding of his own worth and the idea that he thinks he might get a bigger contract is proof of that. 

Edited by whatdrought

12 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Yeah... they want to keep him with a pay cut... Because he's overpaid... what is your argument here?... 

Go back and read my entry into this thread. Sammy has a broken understanding of his own worth and the idea that he thinks he might get a bigger contract is proof of that. 

He said that he doesn’t control his contract. That’s true.

It’s really a simple point: there’s absolutely no way that the team regrets paying him. He played a critical role in them winning a Super Bowl.

EDIT: the above was not supposed to sound demeaning in any way.

Edited by thebandit27

3 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

He said that he doesn’t control his contract. That’s true.

It’s really a simple point: there’s absolutely no way that the team regrets paying him. He played a critical role in them winning a Super Bowl.

EDIT: the above was not supposed to sound demeaning in any way.

I gotcha. I think they do regret paying him, in that they're going to be cutting him or re-doing his contract. If they didn't regret it, they wouldn't change anything. They should have paid him about 10 million a year instead of the close to 20 or whatever it is that he got because he just isn't worth that contract. Just because he played well down the stretch doesn't mean they wouldn't rather be paying him what he's actually worth. 

Edited by whatdrought
  • Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, billsfan_34 said:

When I watch Sammy he does nothing for me. Good mits, ok routes, never breaks tackles or gets YAC. 

My wife who knows nothing about football commented that he plays soft. She noticed him frequently running out of bounds before contact losing additional yardage, and not always putting effort into his routes. A guy having a couple big days in that KC offense doesn’t impress me that much. He just happened to pick the postseason to have those big games. Watkins has all the talent in the world, but I question if the “extraterrestrial being” or whatever he claims to be is fully devoted to the game. 

12 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I gotcha. I think they do regret paying him, in that they're going to be cutting him or re-doing his contract. If they didn't regret it, they wouldn't change anything. They should have paid him about 10 million a year instead of the close to 20 or whatever it is that he got because he just isn't worth that contract. Just because he played well down the stretch doesn't mean they wouldn't rather be paying him what he's actually worth. 

This^ he’s a decent player to have, but isn’t worth that contract. He needed to be in the same class as Hill, and Kelce to justify it.

4 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

I would imagine that most guys need a break after 19 games and a solid 6+ months of day-to-day football.

For me, it goes beyond that.  Sammy talks about skipping all the OTAs and comes off soundings stressed out.   I think if I'm KC I think twice about retaining him.

I like Sammy and have no ax to grind with him.  But he sounds soft and not sold on staying in the NFL.

15 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

You joke but TO had the legs and physicality to play for at least a couple more years than he did.............but his hand/eye coordination failed him.  He got down around 49%-50% catch rate and that's just too low to tolerate for long.

For reference Dawson Knox.......who seemed to drop every other pass last year.......was at least at 56%. 

Same thing happened with James Lofton.   He could still get over the top.........I'm sure he still could have run a 4.4 40 at least........and he was still getting open and averaged over 15 ypc in his last year in Buffalo.........but his catch rate was pathetic.......only in the mid 40%.  

WRT Lofton, PFR only has his catch rate that last year in Buffalo.  So, I can't see his historical numbers.  His targets dropped way off after that.  But 51 receptions is pretty respectable.  His yards per reception was also on the decline, hinting to me his speed and agility were fading.

But with career ypc around 18, he was always a deep threat type receiver and I wonder if that would skew his catch rate.

You got a source with his historical catch rate?   Otherwise, your argument seems pretty weak.

1 hour ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I believe catch rates were lower across the board in that era. 

I mean, mid 40%'s was awful then and it's awful now.

James Lofton was 161st out of 165 qualifying receivers in catch % in 1993.

Dude just couldn't catch the football anymore.

But like TO he could still get open.