Sammy Watkins 'scarred' by Bills trade, didn't want to be in Buffalo

HOUSE

9 hours ago, LB48 said:

I didn't think Sammy ever wanted to be here in the 1st place.

Probably not and I hope that some apologists can now admit that he was an absolutely terrible draft choice, tons of talent notwithstanding. He cost us 2 first round picks and a 4th (for good measure I suppose), this on a team with huge problems at quarterback.

To this day we hear about what a great "evaluator of talent" Whaley was. I was 100% against that trade and even I recognized how extremely talented Sammy is. It wasn't hard, but we gave away the store for him. Sammy was a flat out stupid draft pick/trade for the Bills and Whaley's time in Buffalo was marked by a lack of discipline and tossing away important draft picks.

McBeane may have their issues mind you but I prefer them tenfold over Whaley.

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, JimKellyTryouts said:

I haven't recalled Shady saying anything negative, aside from mentioning that he wanted the FO to be more honest, which none of us necessarily disagree with - seems less critical and more straightforward from my point of view. He expanded upon his talk about the bills by giving the community and fanbase glowing compliments from what I read earlier

seperate agenda's

BILL"S....in a position where they are weighing moving on from shady. bringing in other backs who are cutting in on his touches. looking at that salary cap number. meanwhile, talking him up in public, saying he's our guy, blah, blah,  so as to keep his trade value higher....this happens all the time all over league.....until boom, player is cut or traded.

SHADY....old school stand up guy. he and his agent were probably tipped off there could be a trade. drags out, nothing happening.....he doesnt like being in limbo. the writing is on the wall and he is anxious to continue his career somewhere.....gets frustrated waiting. prefers to become a free agent.  resentment grows over disingenuous public comments...hence the honesty jab

4 minutes ago, papazoid said:

SHADY....old school stand up guy. 

That is easily the most incorrect thing I've read in this thread.

Shady is all about the money............and once he gets it in his pocket his memory gets real short.

He literally got his wish of getting to choose a SB contending team but he unnecessarily brings up the FO in Buffalo for one reason...........the $2M difference between his base salary in Buffalo and KC.    

A difference that McBeane made up for with the bonus they gave him in 2017.

Dude actually came out of that 5 year contract PAID IN FULL........which a stand up guy would be grateful for considering his disappointing production in 4 of those 5 years.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Shady is all about the money............and once he gets it in his pocket his memory gets real short.

He literally got his wish of getting to choose a SB contending team but he unnecessarily brings up the FO in Buffalo for one reason...........the $2M difference between his base salary in Buffalo and KC.    

Dude actually came out of that 5 year contract PAID IN FULL........which a stand up guy would be grateful for considering his disappointing production in 4 of those 5 years.

I wouldn't call his 2017 season "disappointing" at all. He was a good receiver that year - 59 catches for 448 yards (7.6 ypr) and had 1600 yards total yards from scrimmage. Indeed, he was 4th in the league in yards from scrimmage! Sure, his ypc was down, but a ton of that had to do with the fact that the Bills had ZERO decent WRs and arguably their worst ' OC of the modern era calling plays. 

31 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Still shining the light on Shady I see lol

26 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I wouldn't call his 2017 season "disappointing" at all. He was a good receiver that year - 59 catches for 448 yards (7.6 ypr) and had 1600 yards total yards from scrimmage. Indeed, he was 4th in the league in yards from scrimmage! Sure, his ypc was down, but a ton of that had to do with the fact that the Bills had ZERO decent WRs and arguably their worst ' OC of the modern era calling plays. 

I think McDermott deserves a lot of the blame for it for dismantling the Lynn offense........but yes 2017 was a disappointing season from McCoy.

He was always a scat back who brought zero physical presence/benefit.....couldn't perform in short yardage and goal line....and was generally regarded as one of the worst pass blocking RB's in the league.

So for him to be good he needed to produce a lot and also do it on a per carry basis..........and he came in just under 4.0 ypc.......well below league average and a good half yard below his career average.   He had flashes but he was basically an accumulator on a very ineffective offense.   

The only season of the 5 where he lived up to his hype was 2016...........and that year he actually surpassed it.

But whether you agree or not with 2017.........the Bills didn't get what they were paying for.

56 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I think McDermott deserves a lot of the blame for it for dismantling the Lynn offense........but yes 2017 was a disappointing season from McCoy.

He was always a scat back who brought zero physical presence/benefit.....couldn't perform in short yardage and goal line....and was generally regarded as one of the worst pass blocking RB's in the league.

So for him to be good he needed to produce a lot and also do it on a per carry basis..........and he came in just under 4.0 ypc.......well below league average and a good half yard below his career average.   He had flashes but he was basically an accumulator on a very ineffective offense.   

The only season of the 5 where he lived up to his hype was 2016...........and that year he actually surpassed it.

But whether you agree or not with 2017.........the Bills didn't get what they were paying for.

I never judge RBs solely on rushing; pass catching is huge too in the modern NFL (and frankly has been since the days of Lydell Mitchell). He was a good receiver that year on a team with no receivers. Seriously, look at that group of receivers again. Just a joke. 

2 hours ago, prissythecat said:

Still shining the light on Shady I see lol

Shady was a mess as a teammate and employee when the Bills got him.........but he won me over when he admitted that he needed to change and be more coachable and a better teammate after his 2015 thru early offseason 2016 sh*t-show on and off the field............and then actually backed it up.

That 2016 season was a joy to watch on offense with Shady actually focused on staying available and following the design of the Roman/Lynn offense and getting those big plays inside rather than scampering for the sidelines every play like he had in Philly and then Buffalo in 2015.    That season was one of those late-career ones where the light comes on while the talent is still there..........like Favre's first season in Minnesota.

4 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Probably not and I hope that some apologists can now admit that he was an absolutely terrible draft choice, tons of talent notwithstanding. He cost us 2 first round picks and a 4th (for good measure I suppose), this on a team with huge problems at quarterback.

To this day we hear about what a great "evaluator of talent" Whaley was. I was 100% against that trade and even I recognized how extremely talented Sammy is. It wasn't hard, but we gave away the store for him. Sammy was a flat out stupid draft pick/trade for the Bills and Whaley's time in Buffalo was marked by a lack of discipline and tossing away important draft picks.

McBeane may have their issues mind you but I prefer them tenfold over Whaley.

Through their first 2 seasons, Sammy (playing with EJ, Orton, and Tyrod) had 100 less yards and 3 less tds than Julio.  He played in a crap offense with bad throwing qbs.  When healthy, he is really good.

but of course, it’s hard to justify trading up for a non qb (of course the new regime has already done this multiple times).  It’s also funny for how bad Whaley is, it seems like a bunch of guys he drafted have played in SBs.

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/29/2020 at 6:22 PM, stevewin said:

Usually the word "scarred" has negative, long-lasting, connotations - it allegedly left him "scarred", but then he further elaborates how it revived his career and resulted in a plethora of blessings ?

Sammy quote: “But I think that revived my whole career. At that point in my life I didn’t want to be there and somehow, miraculously, I get traded like the next week and go to another team that’s pretty good and go to the playoffs in my first year with the Rams and now to be in this situation, fighting in the third round last year, one game away from the Super Bowl and to be in the Super Bowl this year… blessings.”

ahh........... hey Sammy.

Bills went to playoffs the year they traded you. Don't let those facts get in the way of a good story though.

Edited by cba fan

9 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I never judge RBs solely on rushing; pass catching is huge too in the modern NFL (and frankly has been since the days of Lydell Mitchell). He was a good receiver that year on a team with no receivers. Seriously, look at that group of receivers again. Just a joke. 

Then there is the argument that some guys just get those yards because there aren't enough alternatives...........so accumulated yardage without per per touch production can ring hollow.

In any event returning him to a near-Philadelphia level workload for that 2017 season pretty much did him in as a full time RB.

I still think McCoy could have had one more good season........180-200 carries at 4.5-5.0 ypc........had they retained the Roman/Lynn offense...........and they did bring 10 starters from that 2016 team to camp in 2017.  

What McDermott has done to the Bills offense since he arrived is just as bad as what Rex did to the Schwartz defense.

18 hours ago, Needle said:

Just because the money is incredible doesn't mean that a person loves the job. If you don't love being in the NFL, I would imagine it could be difficult doing the job.

That's why statistics/talent is not the only reason to draft a player let alone trade up for.

16 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Through their first 2 seasons, Sammy (playing with EJ, Orton, and Tyrod) had 100 less yards and 3 less tds than Julio.  He played in a crap offense with bad throwing qbs.  When healthy, he is really good.

but of course, it’s hard to justify trading up for a non qb (of course the new regime has already done this multiple times).  It’s also funny for how bad Whaley is, it seems like a bunch of guys he drafted have played in SBs.

Nobody could deny that Watkins is a talented player. My thing is that he cost too much to obtain. FAR too much, especially for a team that needed a QB.

Whaley was a scout, and probably a good one. He was a horrible GM. If he was any good, he would have a job in the NFL. I would be utterly shocked if he ever gets another GM job. His poor body of work just stares you in the face.

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Nobody could deny that Watkins is a talented player. My thing is that he cost too much to obtain. FAR too much, especially for a team that heeded a QB.

Whaley was a scout, and probably a good one. He was a horrible GM. If he was any good, he would have a job in the NFL. I would be utterly shocked if he ever gets another GM job. His poor body of work just stares you in the face.

I think you overstate things Bill.  I would agree that the 2014 team is possibly the best team of the drought and I would favor them over the 2017 and 2019 teams.  That was a loaded team. 

and Whaley’s record after 3 years of inheriting was 23-25. McBeane’s through 3 years is 25-23.  Next year Is a huge one for them.  Many great moves on defense, Some real questionable ones on offense. 

Edited by C.Biscuit97
  • Like (+1) 1

On 1/29/2020 at 10:50 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

Expect A LOT more players in coming years expressing disappointment in their treatment by McBeane.

Because that's the way it works.............if you are in charge of an NFL team long enough you disappoint players by cutting them, trading them, not giving them enough playing time etc..

I think most to all players are aware of the realities of their job.  

My disappointment (and perhaps what bothers some of these ex players) with McBeane is they continue to talk these guys like McCoy up and then they cut them.  When your culture depends on a family-type locker room, the hypocrisy of this can catch up with you.  Be a little less glowing about the guys whose future is uncertain.

If you read the various ex-Bills and McD articles where Andy Reid is discussed and so liked/respected by his players and formers,  McD would do well to study Reid in these matters.  They told Shady they wanted to go with the hot hands at RB and he accepted that.  Ragland respects they were patient with his rehab.  Reid tries to be realistic but also respectful, went out of his way to set McD up in Carolina when he had to let him go.

I'd like to see McBeane trend a little more in this direction.  Respecting the business and jerking players around with it are 2 different things.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Man, that's so dramatic.  Poor millionaire.

Kind of bums me out. I wasn't one of those fans who was upset w/ Sammy - he got traded, and I thought he played hard while he was here (and I don't hold players responsible for how much the Bills paid or gave up for them).  I was pulling for him in the playoffs, and was happy to see him have a big game in the AFCCG.

Not really as excited to see him do well, now.  This comment was unnecessary & pretty overwrought.  

1 hour ago, GaryPinC said:

I think most to all players are aware of the realities of their job.  

My disappointment (and perhaps what bothers some of these ex players) with McBeane is they continue to talk these guys like McCoy up and then they cut them.  When your culture depends on a family-type locker room, the hypocrisy of this can catch up with you.  Be a little less glowing about the guys whose future is uncertain.

If you read the various ex-Bills and McD articles where Andy Reid is discussed and so liked/respected by his players and formers,  McD would do well to study Reid in these matters.  They told Shady they wanted to go with the hot hands at RB and he accepted that.  Ragland respects they were patient with his rehab.  Reid tries to be realistic but also respectful, went out of his way to set McD up in Carolina when he had to let him go.

I'd like to see McBeane trend a little more in this direction.  Respecting the business and jerking players around with it are 2 different things.

McD worked for Reid for years.