Sammy Watkins 'scarred' by Bills trade, didn't want to be in Buffalo

There are at least two other former Bills on the Chiefs' squad, Shady McCoy and Reggie Ragland.  I haven't heard either of them say a single negative thing about the Bills or Buffalo.

McCoy was in a tough spot and things worked out great for him.  He was clearly on the way down last year.  No team wanted to trade for him due to the high contract cost he had.  Cutting him was probably done with his best interest in mind.  The Bills didn't expect to be a contender this past year, and letting McCoy pick his new team let him go to a contender, a plan that's worked out brilliantly for him.  The Bills handled that situation with class and respect, and I think McCoy appreciated it.  It's turned out that McCoy's decline has continued, and this is clearly going to be his last year before he retires.  He's not the kind of guy who wants to be a backup, and he's too professional to want to play when he can't play well.

Ragland was traded so early in his career and so long ago, and he's turned out to be so unremarkable, that no one seems to care what he thinks about Buffalo.  

You're sitting at your desk, working hard, and your boss comes to your and says, "Dude, we traded you to another company. We really like you but this is best for the company. You'll have to move all the way across the country and they expect you there tomorrow. Good luck."

Of course you're shocked and scarred. The players get over it but naturally they're hurt. Not being hurt only be an indicator that you hated the job you were in, the neighborhood you lived in, and everything about life in that city. Of course he was hurt.

What is the big deal about this?

7 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Yeah, we could use a Moulds type on the current roster too.

No on Shenault he reminds me of Watkins too much.

Agree we need to draft the next Eric Moulds. Hopefully Beane & the boys are doing their research. I am a little leary of Shenault because of the gadget issue. I want a full fledged wr. Not some combo of McKenzie,  Singletary & Brown. 

2 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

Although I think Sammy did have his issues that were on him I could understand what he is saying IF (and this is unknown) McD had assured Sammy that he was a big part of their future and that they want him there long term (which considering his age at the time and the fact that he was a blue chip player inherited by McD is possible) and then they turn around and trade him would scar a players trust in coaches. Sammy had probably by 2017 never had an issue staying on a team or believing a coach when they said they wanted him. I would assume he was heavily recruited out of high school and was a star in college, he was then drafted by Buffalo high up and survived a coaching change from Marrone to Rex. 

Then suddenly a new coach trades you in pre-season (possibly after being reassured you are part of the teams plans) and you are in a position as a player you never have been in. I don't think that is an unreasonable emotion for a player to have. And I don't blame McD for pulling that type of move, for one he could have actually felt that Sammy was a part of the team's future when he got there until realizing he had attitude issues or he just wanted to preserve his trade value by not announcing he was trading Sammy. 

It just ended up being a bitter situation for both parties that needed to end when it did. Sammy seems to have matured a bit the past year or so and he is doing well. The Bills got a pick used to trade up for Josh and a good season out of a corner for him. 

What kills your premise is that the Bills didn't pick up Watkins 5th year option, a pretty good indication that he was not in their long term plans.  It would be impossible for a team to not pick up the option and then turn around and tell the player he's a big part of their future and they want him there long term.

Expect A LOT more players in coming years expressing disappointment in their treatment by McBeane.

Because that's the way it works.............if you are in charge of an NFL team long enough you disappoint players by cutting them, trading them, not giving them enough playing time etc..

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

True. I didn’t fact check this, but did I hear the announcer right in the AFCC game when he said that was Watkins first TD since week 1? 

That’s true. Three TD’s in week one, and none for the remainder of the regular season. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Sour Grapes. Rarely will a player ever say nice things about a team that didnt want him - Dareus, Sammy, Shady etc. The narrative coming from the players in the locker room is what I care about at this point.

I thought Shady said some surprising things about buffalo the city and fans though 

Man, Buffalo’s really taking a beating lately. 

Pro bowl players rate Buffalo the worst place to play. Ragland and Sammy talking before their super bowl about how happy they were to be saved from us. 

Top free agents at the pro bowl saying we’re an undesirable destination. 

How is Buffalo such a hot topic at the pro bowl and before the super bowl? Makes no sense. 

34 minutes ago, Agent 91 said:

I thought Shady said some surprising things about buffalo the city and fans though 

He loved Buffalo, once he got here. The team, the fans, everything. I think he really was focused on his personal goals though, and didn’t think he would achieve those here and he wasn’t getting any younger. It was time to move on for both parties.  It’s all good. 

44 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Expect A LOT more players in coming years expressing disappointment in their treatment by McBeane.

Because that's the way it works.............if you are in charge of an NFL team long enough you disappoint players by cutting them, trading them, not giving them enough playing time etc..

Ha. The order in which you wrote those paragraphs says a lot. It’s pretty clear you know you can’t really level criticism at what McD and Beane have done, but because they didn’t do it the way you would have you just can’t help yourself.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

He loved Buffalo, once he got here. The team, the fans, everything. I think he really was focused on his personal goals though, and didn’t think he would achieve those here and he wasn’t getting any younger. It was time to move on for both parties.  It’s all good. 

Yeah he did comment on what most of us were thinking though. Beane's comments on how he was going to be here in 2019 only to be cut. Said he didnt trust the FO I respect that too

What made me laugh were the random threads that would pop up here asking if we should try to bring Sammy back to the Bills. An idea as likely as signing Brady to mentor Josh.

Tbh i dont care what Sammy has to say. We invested in him as a player & gave him every opportunity as we counted on him & it didnt work out.

Now he's on one of the most explosive offenses in the league. I wish him no ill will but just like the Tyrod Taylors of Bills history, i'm burned out on all that bs & over it.