Sammy Watkins 'scarred' by Bills trade, didn't want to be in Buffalo

36 minutes ago, Augie said:

This is why film is important, but not everything. You need to know the man as well as the player. Sammy is supremely talented, but he seems to lack “it”. 

it’s interesting as looking at OBJ, Sammy probably showed much more professionally. Even if good reputation Brandon cooks has been a handful since coming into the league. Probably about as talented a class as there could be but is mike Evans the good guy of the group? In the spectrum of personalities Sammy wasn’t half bad.

2 minutes ago, DCbillsfan said:

Not to drag up dark days as a Bills fan but acquiring Watkins was the dumbest F'n move by the Bills in the last 20 years and maybe more.  They gave up a lot plus they weren't one player away.  

It’s certainly on the list as we view the last two decades today. Fortunately, I’ve become pretty good at looking forward rather than in the rear view mirror. I find it’s an important life skill for me.

There’s work to do, but I like our direction. 

5 minutes ago, DCbillsfan said:

Not to drag up dark days as a Bills fan but acquiring Watkins was the dumbest F'n move by the Bills in the last 20 years and maybe more.  They gave up a lot plus they weren't one player away.  

I liked the trade at the time for excitement purposes but then grew to resent it because... it was just too much to give up for a WR. Then I hated the trade sending him away but grew to understand it. Oh well, players come and go. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Augie said:

It’s certainly on the list as we view the last two decades today. Fortunately, I’ve become pretty good at looking forward rather than in the rear view mirror. I find it’s an important life skill for me.

There’s work to do, but I like our direction. 

You're right.  You gotta look forward.  Three straight drafts that are looking pretty good.  Need a fourth.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Anyone who still goes to bat for this guy is an absolute fool.   

I don’t know exactly what “goes to bat for” means, but I think it’s reasonable to try to understand what happened and why. If nothing else, maybe we can learn from it and avoid similar situations going forward. 

I’m not bashing on you, or standing up for Sammy, but that whole situation from A to Z was not well played. 

Live and learn. 

I sure am glad he didn’t have to work a “little job” like real people! Imagine the horrors!    :)

Edited by Augie

He totally contradicts himself.  How can he be scarred by the trade when he was admitted that at that point in his life he didn’t want to be in Buffalo and was traded a week later?  He was scarred by getting his wish? 

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Augie said:

I don’t know exactly what “goes to bat for” means, but I think it’s reasonable to try to understand what happened and why. If nothing else, maybe we can learn from it and avoid similar situations going forward. 

I’m not bashing on you, or standing up for Sammy, but that whole situation from A to Z was not well played. 

Live and learn. 

I sure am glad he didn’t have to work a “little job” like real people! Imagine the horrors!    :)

Your last line for instance.  I just get the sense the guy is an immature entitled fool who doesnt have much of a grip on reality.

That said,  he has done a great job getting paid like a #1 to produce like a #3.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ALLEN1QB said:

Don't you just love the way these former Buffalo Bills once they get to the Superbowl start running their mouth about how bad they had it

I'm sure these guys were baited for these stories aka asked leading questions etc. So I'm not going to lose sleep over it, it does show how some of these players have big egos and might be why they weren't thought to be part of the process.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Your last line for instance.  I just get the sense the guy is an immature entitled fool who doesnt have much of a grip on reality.

That said,  he has done a great job getting paid like a #1 to produce like a #3.

True. I didn’t fact check this, but did I hear the announcer right in the AFCC game when he said that was Watkins first TD since week 1? 

2 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Sour Grapes. Rarely will a player ever say nice things about a team that didnt want him - Dareus, Sammy, Shady etc. The narrative coming from the players in the locker room is what I care about at this point.

I'm sure they're very salty about being traded to a team in the Super Bowl.  

1 hour ago, TheProcess said:

Ughhhh. Yet another story about a former Bill who is blessed to be gone. Good lord. I hated trading Sammy at the time, and even more so after seeing the offensive “talent” they replaced him with, but enough already. Who is asking these questions? 

Side note - so much for the Bills being his favorite team. I always thought that was a little phony anyway. I mean come on, the Bills must’ve been terrible when he was growing up. Where’s the appeal? The color scheme? Those unis were also awful in the early 2000s. Always just felt a little forced like saying something he felt like he had to say. I’m skeptical. 

He could have been an Eric Moulds fan and as result also cheered on the Bills.

24 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

He could have been an Eric Moulds fan and as result also cheered on the Bills.

Yeah I suppose that could be a possible explanation. Moulds last productive year would’ve been 2005, which would’ve put Sammy around 12.  

Man how I miss a guy like Moulds. I remember watching him thinking that I better enjoy it because he won’t be around playing forever. Too bad he didn’t get to play with Jimbo his entire career. Prob be a HOF’er. 

31 minutes ago, TheProcess said:

Yeah I suppose that could be a possible explanation. Moulds last productive year would’ve been 2005, which would’ve put Sammy around 12.  

Man how I miss a guy like Moulds. I remember watching him thinking that I better enjoy it because he won’t be around playing forever. Too bad he didn’t get to play with Jimbo his entire career. Prob be a HOF’er. 

Yeah, we could use a Moulds type on the current roster too.

51 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

We won't ever be doing that again. Let our wr fall to us at 22. Shenault,  Higgins, whoever. Since leaving Buffalo,  Sammy has had opportunities to shine and his inconsistent play & injury issues continue. 

No on Shenault he reminds me of Watkins at Clemson too much.

Edited by The Jokeman
  • Like (+1) 1