Cervical disc surgery

SDS

6 hours ago, SDS said:

Who has had discs removed and vertebrae fused? What were your experiences?

I have not. 

You might wish to take a look at this if you already haven't; apologies if it reiterates something you've already researched. 

It compares two procedures and their outcomes, summarizing the results of 14 clinical trials.

https://online.boneandjoint.org.uk/doi/full/10.1302/0301-620X.100B8.BJJ-2018-0120.R1

Unfortunately I am unable to send you the full text version

My brother in law has had five back surgeries (L1 to L5 areas). He’s about 70 now and was a HUGE skier most of his life. Moguls are NOT your friend. The first four surgeries were mostly cleanup attempts and helped to varying degrees, but certainly didn’t do the trick. The 4th surgery actually seemed to make things worse, and there was worry that he would never walk again. That was about 2-3 (?) years ago, and it was awful! 

The most recent surgery (new doctor) they completely opened him up, removed discs, fully cleaned things out and added 4 titanium rods. He’s walking and doing great. Amazing transformation (complicated by Parkinson’s, unfortunately).

The main take away according to my sister is you MUST follow all post-surgery recommendations precisely. He’d feel good one day so he’d go for a jog or shovel some snow. I’m not a huge fan of doctors, but sometimes you have to follow every little direction they give you. 

Best of luck to whomever needs it here. Back pain is miserable, and can severely compromise quality of life for the patient and all the people around them. 

Edited by Augie

I think sds is asking about cervical spine specifically....I have a family friend who has had his whole cervical spine fused over the course of many years...once you have one fusion the wear and tear begins above and below the fusion on those discs...so eventually those will need to be tended to. I always wondered as we become more advanced if there will be a more modern way to take care of troubled discs rather than removing and fusing which seems to be the traditional method. 

In my experience it seems as though folks fall into three equitable categories after undergoing a discectomy and fusion:

1/3 get better

1/3 get worse

1/3 stay the same

So, based upon my not-so-scientific recall you've got a 2-in-3 chance of not getting worse.

Back surgery sucks.

Thanks for the replies. I figured I’d find some cervical spine peeps here, but maybe not. 

I have a ***massively*** herniated cervical disc - the herniation originated from c6/c7 and extends all the way down the vertebrae past the c7/t1 disc. While the last 7 weeks have been extremely complicated to explain, parts of my left arm went numb almost a month ago. An MRI confirmed the herniation and the pressure on the C8 nerve root. Conservative therapies aren’t really going to fix anything like this. 

Depending on how difficult it is to clear the goop that escaped, I may be looking at a 1 or 2 level disc removal or a complete removal of the vertebrae. 

As mentioned above, I’m concerned about a traditional fusion that stresses the adjacent segments and causes wide spread deterioration of the spine. Newer techniques have a replacement disc with no fusion, but they are.... newer. ? And lack longitudinal studies. 

So, first hand experience is what I am seeking. 

DFB1E8F1-286F-46CE-B10D-4BC48CFD2F8C.jpeg

I wish I knew enough to help. I know from countless family situations that multiple opinions will help you in terms of education and finding the best option. Best wishes, I know back/neck stuff can be awful. Good luck! 

Have 3 fusions between S-1 and L-3, 4 surgeries total

First, had bone fusion laminectomy between S-1 & L5 and L-5 & L-4, did not hold up.

Second, 2 rods and 6 screws same levels.

Shortly after, 3rd operation, one middle screw removed, and rod adjusted.

Fourth operation, fusion laminectomy, 2 rods, 4 screws L-4 & L-3 level.

2nd, 3rd and fourth surgeries provided relief, but 4th was due in part to the trickle effect of the S-1 to L-4 level fusions weakening the L-4 & L-3 level.

Never the same though, quality of life has been affected. 

Edited by I am the egg man

On 1/29/2020 at 9:25 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I have not. 

You might wish to take a look at this if you already haven't; apologies if it reiterates something you've already researched. 

It compares two procedures and their outcomes, summarizing the results of 14 clinical trials.

https://online.boneandjoint.org.uk/doi/full/10.1302/0301-620X.100B8.BJJ-2018-0120.R1

Unfortunately I am unable to send you the full text version

so, this was very helpful because I kept seeing references to disc replacement surgery, but the vast majority of information had to do with fusion. It turned out the FDA approved an artificial disc (M6-C) for the US last February and it’s just starting to be performed in various hospitals around the country. This explains why so many surgeons still just do the fusion procedure. Thanks. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I've had 4 back surgeries, the last to insert a titanium device (Coflex) to maintain space where discs have degenerated into nonexistence.

I'm still one step away from the inevitable fusion so I can't help you much.

All I can say is that if you know for sure you're going to go for it, don't wait around, do it tomorrow.

I think I waited too long on the last one and did some permanent nerve damage that is not likely to regenerate at this age.

I can still hike, climb, mountainbike, snowshoe, ski, fight, *&(#, etc without limits but I'll never do it painfree again... well most of it ; - )

25 minutes ago, Simon said:

I've had 4 back surgeries, the last to insert a titanium device (Coflex) to maintain space where discs have degenerated into nonexistence.

I'm still one step away from the inevitable fusion so I can't help you much.

All I can say is that if you know for sure you're going to go for it, don't wait around, do it tomorrow.

I think I waited too long on the last one and did some permanent nerve damage that is not likely to regenerate at this age.

I can still hike, climb, mountainbike, snowshoe, ski, fight, *&(#, etc without limits but I'll never do it painfree again... well most of it ; - )

It looks like you have some different issues than I do. Right now I am down the rabbit hole of trying to figure out how to approach this. I wish I had just a simple single level herniation, but the amount of jelly that is the doubt the side of my spine could cause complications according to the one surgeon I saw. Someone off-line suggested that I go to the hospital for special surgeries in New York City which seems to be a spectacularly awesome place to be treated.

Right now I have had some mild numbness/tingling in my left arm for the past month. I don’t know how long that can go before I risk damaging the nerve.

Back surgeries and level of success or failure are very personal to the persons level of damage and quite frankly, pain tolerance.  It’s very difficult to gauge your prognosis based on someone else’s surgery and recovery.

That being said, do your due diligence and find the best surgeon you can.  As you said above, looking out of town may be your best bet.  You need to research patient reviews, but more importantly patient outcome and infection rates.

Having 4 herniated discs in my lower back, I understand how horribly restrictive and painful back/neck pain can be.  Hopefully you will get a reduction in daily pain, but also arrest the deterioration.