Goodell comments on Bills stadium issues at Super Bowl media day

YoloinOhio

17 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

If an owner could do that, I'm sure they would love to.

Dont you worry Jerruh has it in the works :beer: 

19 hours ago, Ga boy said:

Yuck.  I was invited to a box in Pittsburgh this year to see Bills win.  Nice to have the amenities right there, but once is enough.  I guess I prefer being a commoner?

i want to be right down on the field as close to the action as possible, the richies can have the suites!

• 1 month later...

After the costs to federal, state and local governments associated with coronavirus and a likely shifting of future priorities to things that most would consider more essential than a stadium, does anyone see a dollar of taxpayer funds going to a new or refurbished stadium? Prior to all this I wouldn’t have objected but can’t imagine it happening now. 

13 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Well maybe if it had capability to be converted to hospital care area.  Some stadiums have been used for that in past disasters.

That’s precisely one of the little-spoken-of reasons for putting some public funds into large capacity stadiums. e.g. how the Superdome was used in Katrina, for all its horrible anecdotes. If large numbers of people need to be gathered together for mass inoculation, quarantined together, or to have a stadium complex serve as a large staging area, that’s a consideration.

Some cities have severe parking issues and I rarely see stadiums being used for car pools.

An example is current Washington stadium in Maryland is right off beltway and would be a great place for car pools and mass transit but isn't.

I understand in many cases teams are leasing from stadium authorities at rock bottom prices but if public money is used for stadium, parking lot or infrastructure public officials / officers need to insist it be available for public transit.

14 hours ago, UConn James said:

That’s precisely one of the little-spoken-of reasons for putting some public funds into large capacity stadiums. e.g. how the Superdome was used in Katrina, for all its horrible anecdotes. If large numbers of people need to be gathered together for mass inoculation, quarantined together, or to have a stadium complex serve as a large staging area, that’s a consideration.

They could do that at an existing stadium.  But it’s so unlikely that no municipality would consider it when deciding on funding a football stadium.

14 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Some cities have severe parking issues and I rarely see stadiums being used for car pools.

An example is current Washington stadium in Maryland is right off beltway and would be a great place for car pools and mass transit but isn't.

I understand in many cases teams are leasing from stadium authorities at rock bottom prices but if public money is used for stadium, parking lot or infrastructure public officials / officers need to insist it be available for public transit.

If the demand for that existed, it would happen as there would be money to be made. Also, if the demand was there, it would obviously be far cheaper for a city to create a parking lot for transit pooling than to fund a stadium .

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

They could do that at an existing stadium.  But it’s so unlikely that no municipality would consider it when deciding on funding a football stadium.

If the demand for that existed, it would happen as there would be money to be made. Also, if the demand was there, it would obviously be far cheaper for a city to create a parking lot for transit pooling than to fund a stadium .

Not the best timing for this subject but since somebody else uncovered it..............  I think that the state of NY is out of the conversation but a stadium might prove a good idea for a federally generated stimulus project if the economy lags into next year with the outlook being gloomy.  

27 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Not the best timing for this subject but since somebody else uncovered it..............  I think that the state of NY is out of the conversation but a stadium might prove a good idea for a federally generated stimulus project if the economy lags into next year with the outlook being gloomy.  

Publicly funded stadiums (from any source) have proven over and over to not be economic stimuli.  It's probably the worst use of money in such an scenario.  It would essentially be a publicly funded monument to a billionaire owner who could afford to build it with cash on hand...if he wanted to.

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Publicly funded stadiums (from any source) have proven over and over to not be economic stimuli.  It's probably the worst use of money in such an scenario.  It would essentially be a publicly funded monument to a billionaire owner who could afford to build it with cash on hand...if he wanted to.

Petco Park in San Diego has proven that wrong f

8 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Let me clarify what I said.  The stimulus would be in creating construction jobs and allied professions.  I am not saying that I personally favor it but I know I am only one voice in the forest and that many here seek government funding.  I also question any post completion stimulus in terms of neighborhood bars and restaurants popping up.  One reason to me that a clean slate project should be the way to go if not done in OP where the utilities and roadways are pretty much in place.  Pay some farmer who is ready to retire out in Clarence 10,000 dollars per acre for 200 acres which will be far cheaper than coming up with 10's of millions to buy off Buffalo politicians, activist groups, lawyers, etc just to rehab some crap property in or near the city limits.  

• Like (+1) 1