Goodell comments on Bills stadium issues at Super Bowl media day

YoloinOhio

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Now I'm So Confused. 

I just read here elsewhere that the NFL doesn't care about gate receipts and that the "usual suspects" I see written up as motivation for new stadia (PSLs and Luxury Boxes) stay with the team and don't get shared.

I would think the other owners want Buffalo to rep the brand better. New Era is a dump and they would like to see their product showcased better. Egos and greed drive the NFL and one of the richest owners isn’t bringing home enough bacon. The other fat cats have built new buildings, refurbished older structures, added more money to the pot. They want Pegs to pony up and do the same.

Edited by iinii

49 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Is That So?

Huh.  If so, then what exactly is the "you must build a new stadium" push all about?

A lot has to do with the solvency of the Bills and the need to be propped up by others.  The gulf between the haves and have-nots has grown large.  The number of haves compared to have-nots has also grown.  Oakland going to Vegas is one less on 'our team'

It also increases the franchise worth.

Can increase gate receipts

Monetize other things in the stadium with restaurants, bars, lounges, better merch POS locations, etc

Brings standards within the exclusive class of NFL teams and a better 'look'

Edited by May Day 10

Unpopular Opinion #1:  The 35,000 seat NFL multi-purpose stadium is the NFL stadium of the future.  

Unpopular Opinion #2:  The Rogers family is driving the "Bills aren't competitive in Buffalo" and "Buffalo needs a new stadium" narratives to the NFL. It is fighting for a Toronto team behind the scenes at the expense of the Bills.  They, in conjunction with the NFL, want to force the Pegulas to sell.  Absent that, they will attempt to land a franchise and squeeze out the Bills and take the territory.  They know the Pegulas are stuck - there's no county money coming and unless Pegula is going to front a billion dollar stadium by himself, he'll be forced to renovate New Era which the NFL will say "oh well,that's still not a competitive stadium!"   

I think the Pegulas are in a precarious spot.  I think they've got Toronto interests scheming, enough NFL owners willing to hear that scheming, and very few allies, especially on the municipal front.  

Now, you may think this is all billionaire warfare, but I believe, as a fan, the Bills remaining in Buffalo is in a fragile state.  

2 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

A lot has to do with the solvency of the Bills and the need to be propped up by others.  The gulf between the haves and have-nots has grown large.  The number of haves compared to have-nots has also grown.  Oakland going to Vegas is one less on 'our team'

It also increases the franchise worth.

Can increase gate receipts

Monetize other things in the stadium with restaurants, bars, lounges, better merch POS locations, etc

Brings standards within the exclusive class of NFL teams and a better 'look'

I buy the later points, but not the bolded.    The Bills are not being propped up and there is no risk of insolvency.    The only thing shifting over time is franchise value (mostly due to market population size).     

In the grand scheme of things, the Bills are no more a "have not" than Pittsburgh or Cincinnati.    The Steelers are competitive every year, the Bengals are not.    That has to do with ownership, front office, talent evaluation--all the things the Bills can do well at...

8 minutes ago, dpberr said:

Unpopular Opinion #1:  The 35,000 seat NFL multi-purpose stadium is the NFL stadium of the future.  

Unpopular Opinion #2:  The Rogers family is driving the "Bills aren't competitive in Buffalo" and "Buffalo needs a new stadium" narratives to the NFL. It is fighting for a Toronto team behind the scenes at the expense of the Bills.  They, in conjunction with the NFL, want to force the Pegulas to sell.  Absent that, they will attempt to land a franchise and squeeze out the Bills and take the territory.  They know the Pegulas are stuck - there's no county money coming and unless Pegula is going to front a billion dollar stadium by himself, he'll be forced to renovate New Era which the NFL will say "oh well,that's still not a competitive stadium!"   

I think the Pegulas are in a precarious spot.  I think they've got Toronto interests scheming, enough NFL owners willing to hear that scheming, and very few allies, especially on the municipal front.  

Now, you may think this is all billionaire warfare, but I believe, as a fan, the Bills remaining in Buffalo is in a fragile state.  

I know that you said it is opinion but unless Buffalo's new stadium is 20 years into the future the NFL will push for at least 55,000 for the near future.

Ontario Province is not any better off than NYS and has a much more cynical view on corporate welfare for at least sports teams.  So no real advantage in that Roger's would be forced to use most of their cash just like the Pegula's.  Also, should legal problems evolve I don't know what kind of standing the NFL would have in a Canadian court.  Staying in the US is playing it safe in my mind for the NFL at least where Ontario/Toronto is concerned.  

2 hours ago, Lurker said:

https://news.wbfo.org/post/pegula-says-new-bills-stadium-would-be-scaled-down-version-others

"Pegula added if a new stadium were to be built, there would be many challenges ahead.  “It’s going to take a lot of work from a lot of people. The county, the fans, us, the stadium, the league, the state,” she said."

The county's not going to help--Poloncarz has already said as much.   New York State is battling a structural deficit due to federal Medicaid reimbursement changes and it will be very tough to go hat in hand to them.    The fan base does not want to (can't) pay for PSLs or substantially higher tix prices.     

So, who does that leave to fund the thing?    Pegs and the league.    That doesn't seem like a funding model the NFL will embrace...

Laughable - Poloncarz will be the last person invited to the conversation about future funding for the stadium.

So....

Do we still believe Bon Jovi that he was going to move to Tonawanda, buy a river boat and dedicate his life to running the Bills in Buffalo? All the guys from Toronto with the actual money in the deal we're dedicated to WNY? 

After all, he said it on Howard Stern! 

18 minutes ago, buffalobillsfootball said:

Laughable - Poloncarz will be the last person invited to the conversation about future funding for the stadium.

Hard to say and Erie County executive is not an appointment for life.  Maybe the next person will be more workable.  I'm pretty pessimistic about the City of Buffalo and Albany at this point in time.  The Governor of NY does not need Bills fans to be elected or re-elected which is the simple reality of that.

12 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Hard to say and Erie County executive is not an appointment for life.  Maybe the next person will be more workable.  I'm pretty pessimistic about the City of Buffalo and Albany at this point in time.  The Governor of NY does not need Bills fans to be elected or re-elected which is the simple reality of that.

Yeah, no politician wants on their resume the departure of the Buffalo Bills from NYS.

NYS will step up - and as I've said before - look no further than the NYS Power Authority.  The Power Authority bank rolled CanalSide and should be expected to assist with the Stadium.

I think it's great that fans are so united against Roger and his desire for a new stadium (I felt the same way when I read the article), though I'm not sure fans are actually considering the Pegula side of things...

Everyone seems to think that the NFL is "forcing" the Pegula's to spend money to build a new stadium.  Has anyone considered that maybe the Pegula's actually WANT a new stadium?  Perhaps they too want a building that will up their revenue?  Perhaps they want another signature building / crown jewel as part of their Buffalo revitalization?  Maybe they love their old fixer-upper with the small hallways, but they know their family needs some digs from this century and dad has saved a few bucks in the bank, so hey let's look around!

Who knows, I just think it's so funny that the fans are running the Pegula's "defense" when they don't really know what their desires are. I mean they DID just do a study on this issue, so it's not like complete status quo... 

:beer:

• Like (+1) 2

13 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

Nothing is a certainty at this point in time.  A clean slate/virgin site type proposal in the middle of nowhere in Erie County is bound to be cheaper than something in the city of Buffalo that needs to be signed off on by a Mayor, city council, and citizen groups.  Never mind eminent domain, demolition of abandon homes, disposal of hazardous materials such as lead paint and asbestos, environmental impact surveys, and other studies to name a few problems.  Lawsuits.

I hear you, but I suspect these studies they've been doing are related to many of those issues.  I would even bet work has already been done, behind the scenes, related to many of those issues.

i have said in the past that I think the Pegula's will pay for most of this stadium and the city/county/state will make matching contributions that will be focused on infrastructure and transport.  The government entities can legitimize spending hundreds of millions on new and improved roads/railways/subway construction that benefits everyone in the city.  The Pegula's would probably get a lot of sweetheart deals from the city if they covered most of the stadium cost.

14 minutes ago, Heitz said:

I think it's great that fans are so united against Roger and his desire for a new stadium (I felt the same way when I read the article), though I'm not sure fans are actually considering the Pegula side of things...

Everyone seems to think that the NFL is "forcing" the Pegula's to spend money to build a new stadium.  Has anyone considered that maybe the Pegula's actually WANT a new stadium?  Perhaps they too want a building that will up their revenue?  Perhaps they want another signature building / crown jewel as part of their Buffalo revitalization?  Maybe they love their old fixer-upper with the small hallways, but they know their family needs some digs from this century and dad has saved a few bucks in the bank, so hey let's look around!

Who knows, I just think it's so funny that the fans are running the Pegula's "defense" when they don't really know what their desires are. I mean they DID just do a study on this issue, so it's not like complete status quo... 

:beer:

I don't doubt the Pegula's want a new stadium.   But as the face of the franchise, they're in the awkward position of having to placate the fans who (through their tax dollars) would have to pay for a large portion of it--and also see ticket prices jump 25%-35-50% once it was built.     

They seem very sensitive to that dynamic so far.    But it sounds like they'll step into the light one way or another in a couple of months when they roll out the consultant's report...

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Xwnyer said:

Minneapolis hosted second Bills SB

You can’t compare Minneapolis to Buffalo with a straight face, can you? I realize you were responding to the global warming part, but Minneapolis is a VERY cool city. 

I was at the Minneapolis SB, and I’ve been there several other times. As fond as I am of Buffalo, there is NO comparison other than they are both cold weather sites. As is NYC/NJ, but that doesn’t hold either for obvious reasons.

Lots of reasons not to expect a SB in WNY, new stadium or not. Fun to think about, but don’t have high expectations. They have had cold weather sites in the past, but that is only one part of the equation. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 2

Question. He says the Bills have a "a few months" to come up with a new/renovated stadium plan. What happens if Pegula just says No? He likes the stadium the way it is, and other than upkeep, and minor improvements, he's not changing anything. Can he force the team to move? Or force the Pegulas out? What exactly does this mean?

9 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

What exactly does this mean?

The Pegula's will likely release the results of their consultant's report then.     It's done now, but they appear to be waiting until spring to talk about it...