Goodell comments on Bills stadium issues at Super Bowl media day

YoloinOhio

Just now, MAJBobby said:

Gate Revenue doesn't matter to the NFL.  The quicker the fans realize the "we want the Bills to succeed in Buffalo" talk come from anyone in the NFL that is NOT in Buffalo is a lie.  They Do not want the team here, why? Because the NFL is nothing more than a corporate event.  They want to be able to charge top dollar for Boxes, and would rather Joe Blow and his family watch the games at home on their TV where the REAL revenue is generated.

OK.   So why waste money on a new stadium then?     This whole kabuki dance is just so much piss in the wind.

IMO, the Bills aren't going anywhere, no matter how much Jones and Kraft b-word about it.   The league will get richer, the owners will get wealthier and the sun will come up tomorrow...   

1 minute ago, Lurker said:

OK.   So why waste money on a new stadium then?     This whole kabuki dance is just so much piss in the wind.

IMO, the Bills aren't going anywhere, no matter how much Jones and Kraft b-word about it.   The league will get richer, the owners will get wealthier and the sun will come up tomorrow...   

Sorry there is going to be a new stadium or major renovation, also making smaller, ticket prices will go up, that is going to be the reality, people need to start coming to terms with that. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

I don't think you read what I actually wrote.  If a new stadium goes into OP it will be built next to NE then when complete NE gets demolished.  Parking gets screwed up for a year or two but the area can handle it.  This means the Bills play in NE until the new stadium is complete.  Just like what was done in the Meadowlands.  

I think that you meant "What are the hidden costs in building downtown?"  Environmental impact studies.  Eminent domain.  removal of hazardous materials whether it be from abandoned homes such as with lead and asbestos or industrial materials from a brown field site.  Nuisance lawsuits designed to get graft for a select few.  All that is in addition to utility upgrades, runoff and drainage control, roadway modification and changes/new construction to name a few.  100 million was the figure tossed around for all that on the old BBMB by people who actually had some idea as to how development planning is done.

Pegula's will build where it makes financial sense for them.  That could be any number of places.

Why would you spend a BILLION plus dollars in Orchard Park?

And you keep asking where the money will come from if they build downtown. 

WHERE IS THE MONEY GOING TO COME FROM IF THEY BUILD OR RENOVATE IN OP?

And yes, it will be a public / private partnership.  LOCAL politicians should insist the state tap into the CASH COW in our own backyard - the NY Power Authority.

And last, who cares what Goodell says - the Pegula's will figure out financing. If and when some come from the State/County for the stadium or infrastructure - so be it.  But Goodell doesn't get to stipulate where the money is coming from; even if the NFL kick in from their stadium fund.

Next question?

20 minutes ago, loyal2dagame said:

You have had that playbook sitting around for years.  ?

Well not that exact version. I see now they are using panels for below grade walls on house now. Also recently talked with a guy who worked for a company (Delmonte) who came up with a technique to build hotels by forming whole rooms with concrete in a factory, take to building site and stacked them on top of each other. 

Edited by Hammered a Lot

15 minutes ago, Lurker said:

It's not about the stadium.   It's about revenue.   Full stop.    

A new (or even renovated) stadium that generates $20-$30 million in new revenue per year for the NFL is NOT a good return on $850 million - $1 billion in new investment--at least half of which would likely be public dollars.     

The league isn't going to fold its tent if they don't make as much money as some places on games in Buffalo.   Any more than games in Cincinnati, Jacksonville, Nashville or Pittsburgh.    It has plenty of other revenue sources to tap and will likely do so before anybody ponies up $$$ for whatever the Pegula's decide...

more than that I think it’s simply, if you can extort a bunch of free money from taxpayers by threatening to leave, why not try, even if it’s for a measly couple million in additional revenue. The ROI is infinity for the NFL, who puts up no money. 

41 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Which Means Hello Toronto. 

Because guess what this statement "It’s going to take a lot of work from a lot of people. The county, the fans, us, the stadium, the league, the state,” she said." Applies to a MAJOR Remodel as well.

How does it mean Hello Toronto?  What leads you to believe Toronto would provide the NFL with a publically funded state of the art stadium?

13 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Sorry there is going to be a new stadium or major renovation, also making smaller, ticket prices will go up, that is going to be the reality, people need to start coming to terms with that. 

No doubt on the renovation.     But 33/67 or worse on a new stadium...

17 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I could be wrong, but I think what he's saying is that the NFL wants more luxury boxes and more PSLs, which bring in more money to the league than Joe Fan buying a ticket to come in at the gate.

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

How does it mean Hello Toronto?  What leads you to believe Toronto would provide the NFL with a publically funded state of the art stadium?

Hello ANY city that will build a Stadium.  The Owners throw Tornoto out there right now.

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I could be wrong, but I think what he's saying is that the NFL wants more luxury boxes and more PSLs, which bring in more money to the league than Joe Fan buying a ticket to come in at the gate.

Nope.  The home team gets to keep luxury box and PSL revenue.    It's not shared...

3 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

There are a lot of Erie County residents that simply lack the income to pay any more tax than what they already do.  By the time you identify the households that can pay a substantial tax you most likely are talking a multi-thousand dollar increase over multiple years for each property owner.  

To my knowledge there is no concrete figure yet available. If you have one that is tied to a study that has been done, I’d like to see it.

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Is That So?

Huh.  If so, then what exactly is the "you must build a new stadium" push all about?

That's what I keep saying.    Higher ticket prices is the only answer--and that dog don't hunt in Buffalo, new stadium or not.    

21 hours ago, GG said:

Bills are at or near the bottom of the revenue sharing pie, and the opposing teams get far less from their 40% of gate receipts in Orchard Park than they do in other stadiums.

This is not coming from Roger, but from other owners.

Exactly. And combined with Pegs net worth, he can afford to “join” the club. 

20 minutes ago, buffalobillsfootball said:

Why would you spend a BILLION plus dollars in Orchard Park?

And you keep asking where the money will come from if they build downtown. 

WHERE IS THE MONEY GOING TO COME FROM IF THEY BUILD OR RENOVATE IN OP?

And yes, it will be a public / private partnership.  LOCAL politicians should insist the state tap into the CASH COW in our own backyard - the NY Power Authority.

And last, who cares what Goodell says - the Pegula's will figure out financing. If and when some come from the State/County for the stadium or infrastructure - so be it.  But Goodell doesn't get to stipulate where the money is coming from; even if the NFL kick in from their stadium fund.

Next question?

I'm asking where the money is coming from for any new build.  Support infrastructure is pretty much in place in OP for things such as roads and utilities.  One less cost that some estimate will tack on an additional 100M if a new stadium goes downtown.  The financial arrangement for a new stadium or a renovation is very much in the air including the proportions.  The matter is far from settled.  I'm afraid that people will be bitterly disappointed in what Albany does for the Bills.

4 minutes ago, iinii said:

Exactly. And combined with Pegs net worth, he can afford to “join” the club. 

Now I'm So Confused. 

I just read here elsewhere that the NFL doesn't care about gate receipts and that the "usual suspects" I see written up as motivation for new stadia (PSLs and Luxury Boxes) stay with the team and don't get shared.

11 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

To my knowledge there is no concrete figure yet available. If you have one that is tied to a study that has been done, I’d like to see it.

I have not seen one either.  I've seen people spitball on sites like this by saying 1billion dollars divided by 1M residents of Erie County equals 1,000 dollars per person for one year.  I think that we all know it is not that simple as not all 1M people in Erie County have 1,000 dollars for what is a discretionary spend.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Now I'm So Confused. 

I just read here elsewhere that the NFL doesn't care about gate receipts and that the "usual suspects" I see written up as motivation for new stadia (PSLs and Luxury Boxes) stay with the team and don't get shared.

Again, its ticket prices.   The Bills are $30 below the league-wide average per seat, so the visiting team (which gets 40% of the gate) gets that much less for playing in Buffalo.    

The logic many owners (usually those in big cities) make is "build a new stadium and fans will gladly pay higher ticket prices!"    Which is totally bupkis in Buffalo, Cincinnati, and other small market cities, IMO.

And, if they truly don't care about gate receipts and it's all a smokescreen?    What new stadiums tend to do is make the franchise more attractive/valuable (like fixing up your house, rather than letting if go).   That way, when it comes time to sell, some poor schlub will pay more for it.   Now THATS where the money is in the NFL game...

Edited by Lurker