Goodell comments on Bills stadium issues at Super Bowl media day

YoloinOhio

2 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Who said anything about a MOVE?  

Goodell did. He slid it right in there:

"We all want the Buffalo Bills to continue to be in Buffalo, to be successful."

Would that make any sense if, before their new stadium he had said, "We all want the Dallas Cowboys to continue to be in Dallas, to be successful."? No, it wouldn't have and that's because there was zero chance that the Cowboys were going to move. Zero.

Goodell just brought up the thought of Buffalo not having a team and he did it by saying the opposite, how we all want them to have a team. Pretty slick, but a pretty obvious threat too. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Fair enough, to the list Lurker posted, but then where would we find an actual list of operating income and finances per team?

Good luck with that!   Forbes is the only public source, but you have to pick through the numbers to get the real story.   

If anything, the Forbes numbers prove the point that high revenue, big market teams will play hard ball in the next round of negotiations because now they are bringing in much less money home than the teams they are subsidizing.

Team is not going anywhere.

• It may or may not move from its current location
    • Everyone has an opinion about location
  • Everyone has an opinion about tailgating
  • The Pegula's would not have bought the team without a plan.
  • Yes, this will be a public/private initiative.
    • The State should look no further to the HUGE cash cow in our backyard - the New York Power Authority. T
      • They are making a TON of money and should contribute.

And here is my opinion - you don't spend ANY additional money in Orchard Park.  If you want to play in the big leagues you have to pay. 

Build an all new state of the art Stadium/Convention Center downtown near Canalside.

I don't buy the BS about downtown not having the infrastructure to support a stadium - the city was once 4 times in size and population

There are also multiple modes of transportation to the City v Orchard Park.

You don't spend $500M on an old stadium in Orchard Park - which could not be further than the fastest growing area in the region: Southern Ontario.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, whatdrought said:

I sometimes seriously wonder why the NFL owners put up with this clown? He's been absolutely terrible. From officiating, to player discipline, to the various scandals and other such things. How can they take him seriously? 

He makes them money.  The quality of the game has gone way down during Goodell's tenure, but that is not important apparently.

3 hours ago, Binghamton Beast said:

Pegula should thumb his nose at Goodell and build a stadium that has wooden bleechers and wooden press boxes that the media has to climb steep, metal stairs to get to.

Brilliant!  All Goodell has to do is flick his half smoked cigarette at the press boxes or stairs (after a little gasoline is spread) and the whole thing goes up like a big bonfire.

3 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

id love to see the business argument why this is so necessary. 

As @Kirby Jackson so eloquently explains it, you can't significantly increase prices in the same stadium, even with a renovation.  A new stadium would allow the Bills to establish a new higher price structure. Will it price some fans out? You bet. But our ticket price is the REAL stadium issue Goodell is taking about. And "competitive" in this case means revenues competitive with the rest of the league.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Fair enough, to the list Lurker posted, but then where would we find an actual list of operating income and finances per team?

Not going to.  Only the Packers have to report anything publically.

The Forbes list may be suspect, but I'll bet it's 85% right.  And yes, excluding debt service is a biggie.  But my point is that the Bills don't have to bend over and say "Thank you sir, may I have another!" as much as the boogieman reputation the NFL tries to promote.   Think more carnival magician from Kansas, less Wizard of Oz.

The Bills are doing what they can to drive the process (hiring a planning consultant, speaking with stakeholders).   But if they decide to renovate New Era rather than build a new stadium, I don't think the other owners will have much recourse to penalize them (my opinion).   

Might they get less revenue sharing at some nebulous point down the road?   Maybe.   But does that take them off the board?    Hardly, IMO...

Edited by Lurker

7 minutes ago, buffalobillsfootball said:

Team is not going anywhere.

• It may or may not move from its current location
    • Everyone has an opinion about location
  • Everyone has an opinion about tailgating
  • The Pegula's would not have bought the team without a plan.
  • Yes, this will be a public/private initiative.
    • The State should look no further to the HUGE cash cow in our backyard - the New York Power Authority. T
      • They are making a TON of money and should contribute.

And here is my opinion - you don't spend ANY additional money in Orchard Park.  If you want to play in the big leagues you have to pay. 

Build an all new state of the art Stadium/Convention Center downtown near Canalside.

I don't buy the BS about downtown not having the infrastructure to support a stadium - the city was once 4 times in size and population

There are also multiple modes of transportation to the City v Orchard Park.

You don't spend $500M on an old stadium in Orchard Park - which could not be further than the fastest growing area in the region: Southern Ontario.

I agree on your first two points, however........

point #3: Build an all new state of the art Stadium/Convention Center downtown near Canalside.

There are better things to develop near the waterfront than a stadium-

point #4: I don't buy the BS about downtown not having the infrastructure to support a stadium - the city was once 4 times in size and population

The city doesn't have the infrastructure in place. When Buffalo had "4 times in size and population", It was at a time when families had 1 car. Not 2-4. People actually used buses back then. You do have the 2 lane Skyway leading to Rte 5 and the 3 lane 190 as express routes out of the city. And if a new stadium is near Canalside, there will be huge traffic backups to get to the 33. What do you do when wind or blowing snow closes the skyway on a game day? Everything comes to a stand still. This doesn't work.

point #5: There are also multiple modes of transportation to the City v Orchard Park.

??? seems like the same transportation beside the metro rail.

point #6: You don't spend $500M on an old stadium in Orchard Park - which could not be further than the fastest growing area in the region: Southern Ontario.

I agree that New Era shouldn't have money sunk into it. But, Orchard Park is less than 10 minutes from downtown Buffalo. 10 minutes isn't going to make or break Southern Ontario Bills/NFL fans.

45 minutes ago, GG said:

Good luck with that!   Forbes is the only public source, but you have to pick through the numbers to get the real story.   

If anything, the Forbes numbers prove the point that high revenue, big market teams will play hard ball in the next round of negotiations because now they are bringing in much less money home than the teams they are subsidizing.

So, could you walk us through it to illustrate the real story? 

26 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

As @Kirby Jackson so eloquently explains it, you can't significantly increase prices in the same stadium, even with a renovation.  A new stadium would allow the Bills to establish a new higher price structure. Will it price some fans out? You bet. But our ticket price is the REAL stadium issue Goodell is taking about. And "competitive" in this case means revenues competitive with the rest of the league.

OK, but according to the Forbes list that was shared....we're like #18, average.  So what about #19 through 32, what they got to do to compete?

• Like (+1) 1

The NFL owners who have put their own money and coersion of local governments  into financing stadiums won't stop shaking down the Pegulas. The way they see it, The Pegulas are  billionaires who aren't pulling their weight. 

Edited by dpberr
  • Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

OK, but according to the Forbes list that was shared....we're like #18, average.  So what about #19 through 32, what they got to do to compete?

What the Forbes numbers don't show is the debt service that each team pays on their stadium.    Ralph (and now Pegs) don't pay any--Its how Ralph survived all those years against the large market teams.     

Now you've got a lot of teams (as GG pointed out) building these grand palaces and having to cover their debt nut--which makes them want to squeeze as much revenue as they can from every source possible.   

To which I say...Nuts!    They made their choices--don't ask fans from other cities to pony up and help them carry that debt load....

Edited by Lurker
  • Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

id love to see the business argument why this is so necessary. 

I'd like to see that too!  A 55,000 domed stadium would necessitate much higher seat prices and I don't know if Erie County can support that.

4 hours ago, CoudyBills said:

Well in that case, let's get some high level meetings going.  

I feel a Billboard is in order