Goodell comments on Bills stadium issues at Super Bowl media day

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, shane nelson said:

We may not like it, but the only way to ensure the Bills are here or the next 50 years is a new stadium or massive renovations to New Ear Field, like those in GB or KC.  If a deal is done this year, next year or 5 years it does not matter, it just needs to be done.  

Trust me, they’ll want a new stadium again or a huge upgrade in 20 years. It’s already happening in Carolina. Their stadium was built in 1994 I believe. 

Here's a good article (about the Packers) that puts into perspective what a red herring local stadium revenue is:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-07-12/nfl-teams-split-record-7-8-billion-in-2016-up-10-percent?sref=Tz2RnUgZ

NFL Teams Split Record $7.8 Billion in 2016, Up 10 Percent

By Eben Novy-Williams
July 12, 2017

The National Football League distributed a record $7.8 billion to its 32 teams in 2016, a jump of almost 10 percent that reflects the league’s increasingly rich TV deals, according to a financial disclosure by the Green Bay Packers.

Each NFL team receives an equal share of the league’s “national revenue” -- primarily money from television deals, but also league-wide sponsorships, licensing and merchandise sales. The Packers, the only publicly owned franchise in major U.S. sports, reported Wednesday that they got $244 million, up from $222.6 million last year.

The $7.8 billion is just one piece of the league’s overall revenue, which is estimated at $14 billion for 2017. Goodell has stated he’d like the league to reach $25 billion by 2027. That growth will depend largely on the NFL’s ability to navigate a media marketplace that is rapidly evolving, as younger generations abandon traditional cable packages and streaming becomes more important.

The Packers, the only publicly owned franchise in major U.S. sports, reported Wednesday that they got $244 million, up from $222.6 million last year.  Green Bay’s local revenue, which the team generates and keeps for itself, was a franchise-record $197.4 million, bringing the team’s total to $441.4 million

==================================================================================

So if road teams get roughly 40% of the $200 million in stadium-related revenue the Packers generated in 2017 that amounts to roughly $10 million each.     NFL teams aren't going to go bust if that number is only $8 million from a game at New Era.   Not when we're talking about $14 billion in total revenue for the league overall.   It's a rounding error in the grand scheme of things...

Edited by Lurker
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

You clearly are not understanding what is going on here.  The Bills contribute, if I'm not mistaken, one of the lowest rates of revenue to the league.  If they don't do something revenue generating wise (i.e. building a new stadium and increasing prices) there will be consequences unfortunately.  

I've heard that same story for 50 years.   I used to subscribe to this 'common knowledge' as well.   

I don't believe it anymore, however, given how unimportant gate revenue is in the grand scheme of NFL economics...

1 hour ago, GG said:

Bills are at or near the bottom of the revenue sharing pie, and the opposing teams get far less from their 40% of gate receipts in Orchard Park than they do in other stadiums.

This is not coming from Roger, but from other owners.

So what exactly is this revenue sharing pie and how far at the bottom are the Bills?

Why will a new stadium change this?

It looks as though the Bills are right up there when it comes to attendance

5 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

Can't we just get along ?

Image result for hippy"

Build the stadium next to Lewiston ArtPark?

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So what exactly is this revenue sharing pie and how far at the bottom are the Bills?

The Packers got about $244 million in 2017 (see story above).   

So the Bills likely got something between $200 million and $250 million.    If the owners were to cut that revenue share by $20-$30 million out of spite because Pegs won't build a new stadium, does anybody think that would sink the team?

I don't.    And I suspect Terry would just go and drill a new well to recoup that amount...  

The only explanation is the league owns all the design and construction firms doing all the building.at these $2B mega facilities. No one is complaining about the Steelers or Pats inexpensive 20 year old stadiums with nice site lines.  The Chiefs’ modest plus upgrade should be the target.  

10 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Why will a new stadium change this?

It looks as though the Bills are right up there when it comes to attendance

You have to keep in mind the other owners position in this and how much they dislike the revenue sharing deal.  Right now all major national revenues are equally shared.  But what contributes to the revenues, tv ratings and licenses, are not really equal.  The major franchises have higher ratings and blow Bills out of the water.  

So tell me what leverage Pegulas have over Jerruh, who spent billions of his own money on his Taj Mahal, and is partially subsidizing Buffalo's and Cincys operations?

If Pegulas don't take ANY steps to increase the revenue contributions, there will be equally strong incentive by Jones , Kroenke, etc to hold a firmer line to drastically change the sharing formula.  

4 minutes ago, Lurker said:

The Packers got about $244 million in 2017 (see story above).   

So the Bills likely got something between $200 million and $250 million.    If the owners were to cut that revenue share by $20-$30 million out of spite because Pegs won't build a new stadium, does anybody think that would sink the team?

I don't.    And I suspect Terry would just go and drill a new well to recoup that amount...  

You continue to demonstrate a complete misunderstanding of what the other owners can do to the Buffalo franchise.  

Edited by GG

20 minutes ago, GG said:

You continue to demonstrate a complete misunderstanding of what the other owners can do to the Buffalo franchise.  

They don't have leverage over the league.  But by the same token, the Bills are not as much at the NFL's mercy as you imply, IMO.   

Terry and Kim can keep doing things to grow revenue, like renovating New Era, but the NFL is not likely to take away the franchise if they don't build a new stadium IMO.   And any revenue sharing reduction they would impose would be bupkis to the 8th wealthiest owner.

I get the logic of your argument.  I used to say it as well and it's what we heard forever when Ralph owned the team.   But I'm not convinced that the other owners have the will or the stones to enforce a new stadium or else mandate on Buffalo.   

Ralph used to be a pipsqueek in the grand scheme of things.  The Pegula's are another kettle of fish entirely...

Edited by Lurker

21 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yes! I could ride my bicycle to games!

All kidding aside, do what you gotta do here Terry,  just stay out of the taxpayers’ pockets.

This is such BS. I really don't see the same comments being aimed at Green Bay, or Arrowhead, Chicago, etc. Those stadiums are just as old with updates happening every few years, just like New Era. I wonder why there's such a push only for Buffalo.

I also realize I could be wrong on those stadiums I mentioned, I haven't looked into this stuff since the last time it came up. 

14 minutes ago, GG said:

You have to keep in mind the other owners position in this and how much they dislike the revenue sharing deal.  Right now all major national revenues are equally shared.  But what contributes to the revenues, tv ratings and licenses, are not really equal.  The major franchises have higher ratings and blow Bills out of the water.  

So tell me what leverage Pegulas have over Jerruh, who spent billions of his own money on his Taj Mahal, and is partially subsidizing Buffalo's and Cincys operations?

If Pegulas don't take ANY steps to increase the revenue contributions, there will be equally strong incentive by Jones , Kroenke, etc to hold a firmer line to drastically change the sharing formula.  

So what exactly are these revenue streams?  And how are these ratings generated?

It's my understanding that the Bills recent primetime games (Thanksgiving, Sun. night, Sat. pm) and the playoff game had very high ratings.

If the Bills are relegated to afternoon games in regional markets, then aren't the networks and the NFL kind of controlling what their revenue stream is, then blaming them for it?

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

This is such BS. I really don't see the same comments being aimed at Green Bay, or Arrowhead, Chicago, etc. Those stadiums are just as old with updates happening every few years, just like New Era. I wonder why there's such a push only for Buffalo.

I also realize I could be wrong on those stadiums I mentioned, I haven't looked into this stuff since the last time it came up. 

Because people who go to games in Buffalo aren’t dropping a lot of money on tickets. I believe they are still one if not the cheapest tickets in the league. 

Fans won’t pay more for tickets if nothing is improved. 

on the flip side even with a new stadium those same fans won’t pay higher ticket prices.  

You may get a different type of fan showing up to the game if ticket prices go up. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So what exactly are these revenue streams?  And how are these ratings generated?

It's my understanding that the Bills recent primetime games (Thanksgiving, Sun. night, Sat. pm) and the playoff game had very high ratings.

If the Bills are relegated to afternoon games in regional markets, then aren't the networks and the NFL kind of controlling what their revenue stream is, then blaming them for it?

This is a very good parallel to the Athletic story about Buffalo's attraction for free agents.  

Let's say the league goes to a prortional model based on ratings and merch sales. Buffalo could easily lose $30 million in annual revenues and run at a loss every year.   How long would Pegulas be willing to subsidize that loss, compounded by the potential of a new franchise 100 miles to the north in a market 4 times it's size?

We don't like it as Bills fans, but it doesn't change the reality.