Sign in to follow this  
\GoBillsInDallas/

Buffalo News sold

3 hours ago, ChasBB said:

Bring back the Courier Express!   :)

I still have the final edition.  9/19/82.  Three months later I moved out of WNY (I was living in Kenmore) for the final time & never lived there again.  The death of the Courier and the end of my time in WNY were very close.  I've come back many times for Bills game weekends, but it will never be the same.  

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

Lee owns our local newspaper, for which I worked (ad sales) for about 9-months after being laid off.

In the last 5 years, they have depleted the editorial staff to bare bones.  They got rid of all copy editing positions.  The paper has become unaffordable.  They shut down the printing press and laid off all of those workers - which resulted in the paper being printed an hour away by another newspaper (which it doesn't even own), so delivery is a nightmare (which is why I stopped getting the paper, in addition to them raising the prices about three times/year).

Which paper?  

Edited by Albany,n.y.
  • Like (+1) 1

"Print is Dead."

-Dr. Egon Spengler, 1984

Edited by ocemur
  • Haha (+1) 4

3 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Surprisingly the Buffalo News is still profitable even despite their actual readership of daily papers going from 400K to 100K now...technology and targeting business subscriptions to online content has been a huge boon to this.

That and AM radio is still viable in Buffalo. Truly old school.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

LOL  Pay wall 

they basically all draw from a news pool

It's funny I had metro pcs and used to get hit with the paywall from BN. Now I'm on Verizon and I get everything but the BN Blitz.

• Haha (+1) 1

It was, at the time of the beginning of the demise of printed news, an adjustment for many of us old timers who missed the printed news rag. However, even an old cranky guy like me ("get off my lawn") now does not even miss a printed Buffalo News or Rochester Democrat & Chronicle (or even the old "Times Union" for us Senior Citizens). The time for those old rags came & went. I might look at a Buffalo News article again - if there was no pay wall. Otherwise information that is just as good (or usually better) is readily available elsewhere.  Many people are now all fired up about the impending NYS Ban on plastic bags at stores - "what will we line our trash cans with at home?". To this we will also adjust -  used to wonder what my wife would line the bird cage with without the "paper". Guess what - the bird cage is still lined. Eventually we won't even miss the grocery store bags - just like we don't miss the Buffalo News.

4 hours ago, aristocrat said:

interesting. the snooze was buffet's first newspaper buy.

I thought he had a significant position in the Wash. Post. 

54 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

I still have the final edition.  9/19/82.  Three months later I moved out of WNY (I was living in Kenmore) for the final time & never lived there again.  The death of the Courier and the end of my time in WNY were very close.  I've come back many times for Bills game weekends, but it will never be the same.  

Which paper?  

Post-Star.

Schenectady Gazette is doing the printing.  A friend of mine was the Editorial writer at the Post-Star.  He now does that for the Gazette.  Writers there have to paginate their own pieces.

• Thanks! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, eball said:

Countdown until Vic Carucci joins The Athletic...10, 9, 8....

Between Graham, Fairburn and Buscaglia they're set. Not to mention they hate Carucci, lol. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, teef said:

does anyone here miss the evening paper?

waits for someone to say "what's reading?"

For 3 easy payments of $79.99 you to can read about the Buffalo Bills

6 hours ago, ProcessTruster said:

' cost synergies, primarily from the reduction of administrative expenses".  that means a bunch of people in WNY get fired

They've been cleaning house for years already

My mother worked there for 30+ years and was laid off a few years ago with 98% of her department

7 hours ago, BillnutinHouston said:

Maybe the first time ever that he bought high and sold low.

Not sure, but his newspaper venture took a beating:

https://markets.businessinsider.com/news/stocks/warren-buffett-berkshire-hathaway-sells-newspapers-140-million-lee-enterprises-2020-1-1028855743

6 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Surprisingly the Buffalo News is still profitable even despite their actual readership of daily papers going from 400K to 100K now...technology and targeting business subscriptions to online content has been a huge boon to this.

Not so sure of that either:

http://www.dailypublic.com/articles/05302018/whats-happening-buffalo-news

From this article:

"the News lost $1.8 million in the first quarter of 2018 (the paper’s first quarterly loss in 40-plus years), management clearly saw it as a state of emergency." 

Edited by I am the egg man

40 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

Not sure, but his newspaper venture took a beating:

https://markets.businessinsider.com/news/stocks/warren-buffett-berkshire-hathaway-sells-newspapers-140-million-lee-enterprises-2020-1-1028855743

Not so sure of that either:

http://www.dailypublic.com/articles/05302018/whats-happening-buffalo-news

From this article:

"the News lost $1.8 million in the first quarter of 2018 (the paper’s first quarterly loss in 40-plus years), management clearly saw it as a state of emergency." 

I was just at a software development meeting there a few weeks ago and the VP of IT was demonstrating their use of Golang and was talking about how what they are doing technology wise was allowing them to remain profitable..

Edited by matter2003

5 hours ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

D&C in the AM, TU in the afternoon.  

I delivered the paper when I was a young teenager and helped friends on their routes too. 

something I would smack on my hand to alert the dog he did something wrong. 

Now its just for the weekly coupons you get on Sundays

seriously?  Take it to the PPP 

This entire thread doesn’t belong here so if the entire thread isn’t removed then I guess statements like that are fair game.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

I was just at a software development meeting there a few weeks ago and the VP of IT was demonstrating their use of Golang and was talking about how what they are doing technology wise was allowing them to remain profitable..

Guess I'll have to take your word on that. 

Maybe many of the 10,000's of WNY'ers who've left the area are online subscribers.

The BN would be one of the few profitable papers of the bunch that Buffett sold, given he is losing $200,000,000 in the sale.   

Bringing this back on topic of the forum.. this means two things to Bills fans:

1. Newspapers have been in a death spiral for years. Bills coverage has degraded, and will continue to degrade as Lee Corp. cuts expenses.

2. Countdown to loss of print edition and only a digital edition commences now. It will be digital only within the next 3 years. When we win the Superbowl, there won't be a souvenir print edition to buy for posterity.

As a former Courier Express paperboy, it saddens me to see the decline of print.

The Paywall rubbed a lot of customers and advertisers the wrong way. Hopefully they re-organize and turn it around  

9 hours ago, Gugny said:

Lee owns our local newspaper, for which I worked (ad sales) for about 9-months after being laid off.

Wow! That is dedication bruh! Most people leave a job the very same day they get laid off. It’s unbelievable that you continued to go to work for nine months after.

My hat is off to you, sir!

3 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

Wow! That is dedication bruh! Most people leave a job the very same day they get laid off. It’s unbelievable that you continued to go to work for nine months after.

My hat is off to you, sir!

Such.

A.

Dick.

But that was kind of funny.

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, I am the egg man said:

The BN became a Trump bashing rag, while long praising Democrats, including Andrew Cuomo. It was clear they we’re pushing a Liberal agenda. That surely drove some subscribers away.

The Pegulas pulled their printing deal for Sabre Gameday magazine from the BN a few years back. It was thought it was done due in part to the steady stream of their sports dept. daily trashing  of the Bills and Sabres organizations from top to bottom. Many fans were tiring of the belittling hostile berating directed towards the Pegulas themselves.

Things have changed, newspapers have tried to stay modern with having a news websites. The BN website apparently thinks countless “smiles” will sell website subscriptions.....that is laughable.

The weekly “Penny Saver” just went under because fewer were advertising in them, same is happening to the BN and their paper is becoming the size of the “PS” and takes about the same time to read it like it did with the “PS”.

The paper today in Buffalo is a joke.  The death notices are about the only thing worth reading.  Sorts is all copied from other outlets and really, really who follows HS basketball, football etc. enough to buy that paper daily. 

11 hours ago, ChasBB said:

Bring back the Courier Express!   :)

I liked the Courier Express. It gave me a job doing proofreading. 

• Like (+1) 1

Jerry Sullivan comes crawling back desperate for something bigger than the Niagara Post Gazette.

Everybody CTFD. It’s an interesting, newsworthy topic. (See what I did there?) For an old guy like myself, it induces melancholy for days gone by, but doesn’t have to get political and have the thread shipped over to the abyss that is PPP. 

Keep it conventional.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, First Round Bust said:

I was a paper boy delivering the evening news in the late afternoon and early on weekends...still read it daily (mostly sports) still have a 100k circulation on Sundays alone..likely going to centralize the back office-admin functions (ie layoffs) so lets see what the impact to the end users are beyond a price increase...not a good sign when Warren Buffet dumps an asset

I was a News afternoon paperboy as well. Good memories for me.

• Like (+1) 1