Buffalo News sold

Bringing this back on topic of the forum.. this means two things to Bills fans:

1. Newspapers have been in a death spiral for years. Bills coverage has degraded, and will continue to degrade as Lee Corp. cuts expenses.

2. Countdown to loss of print edition and only a digital edition commences now. It will be digital only within the next 3 years. When we win the Superbowl, there won't be a souvenir print edition to buy for posterity.

As a former Courier Express paperboy, it saddens me to see the decline of print.

9 hours ago, Gugny said:

Lee owns our local newspaper, for which I worked (ad sales) for about 9-months after being laid off.

Wow! That is dedication bruh! Most people leave a job the very same day they get laid off. It’s unbelievable that you continued to go to work for nine months after.

My hat is off to you, sir!

3 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

Wow! That is dedication bruh! Most people leave a job the very same day they get laid off. It’s unbelievable that you continued to go to work for nine months after.

My hat is off to you, sir!

Such.

A.

Dick.

But that was kind of funny.

9 hours ago, I am the egg man said:

The BN became a Trump bashing rag, while long praising Democrats, including Andrew Cuomo. It was clear they we’re pushing a Liberal agenda. That surely drove some subscribers away.

The Pegulas pulled their printing deal for Sabre Gameday magazine from the BN a few years back. It was thought it was done due in part to the steady stream of their sports dept. daily trashing  of the Bills and Sabres organizations from top to bottom. Many fans were tiring of the belittling hostile berating directed towards the Pegulas themselves.

Things have changed, newspapers have tried to stay modern with having a news websites. The BN website apparently thinks countless “smiles” will sell website subscriptions.....that is laughable.

The weekly “Penny Saver” just went under because fewer were advertising in them, same is happening to the BN and their paper is becoming the size of the “PS” and takes about the same time to read it like it did with the “PS”.

The paper today in Buffalo is a joke.  The death notices are about the only thing worth reading.  Sorts is all copied from other outlets and really, really who follows HS basketball, football etc. enough to buy that paper daily. 

Everybody CTFD. It’s an interesting, newsworthy topic. (See what I did there?) For an old guy like myself, it induces melancholy for days gone by, but doesn’t have to get political and have the thread shipped over to the abyss that is PPP. 

Keep it conventional.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, First Round Bust said:

I was a paper boy delivering the evening news in the late afternoon and early on weekends...still read it daily (mostly sports) still have a 100k circulation on Sundays alone..likely going to centralize the back office-admin functions (ie layoffs) so lets see what the impact to the end users are beyond a price increase...not a good sign when Warren Buffet dumps an asset

I was a News afternoon paperboy as well. Good memories for me.

• Like (+1) 1

One of my uncles worked for a small city newspaper in the accounting dept. He said it was always a struggle to ensure they had enough money each week for paychecks.  The owners solution?  Buy more small town newspapers and raise the price. 

I’m still a seven day subscriber (yea, I’m the one) .... there’s still some occasional in-depth reporting going on, though it’s become more sporadic.   I used to stare at multiple screens all day at work,  so actually reading newsprint was a treat for me .... this may be the beginning of the end for them getting my business, unless a digital only version is less costly, due to the entire print process going away. 

On 1/29/2020 at 5:19 PM, Buffalo619 said:

The Paywall rubbed a lot of customers and advertisers the wrong way. Hopefully they re-organize and turn it around  

Why do you feel that intellectual property has zero value?

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/29/2020 at 8:32 AM, teef said:

i think that was the name of the evening paper.  it was the d and c in the morning, and the thinner times union in the afternoon.  i even remember those tiny, weird, square receipts they would give after payment.  

yep! my first job was a Times Union Paperboy... It was awesome.. Gave me the entrepreneurial spirit that's made me successful in life. Soft spot for the christmas calendar (TIPS!)

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, DeltaDigital said:

yep! my first job was a Times Union Paperboy... It was awesome.. Gave me the entrepreneurial spirit that's made me successful in life. Soft spot for the christmas calendar (TIPS!)

it was my job as a kid to carry the money to the door to pay the paper boy.  made me feel like part of the process.

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/29/2020 at 4:44 AM, ProcessTruster said:

' cost synergies, primarily from the reduction of administrative expenses".  that means a bunch of people in WNY get fired

This is true.

Most folks in operations roles get let go as companies centralize payroll staff, hr staff, IT support staff...leaving a token work force.

If they say anything else it just means they need folks to stay in role long enough to train their existing replacements.

Should just be a straight up above board retention bonus plan to keep folks around to train others, but I rarely have seen the honest approach taken.

56 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

The press is rotting along with our Democracy...Not that there is any cause & effect...(cough!)

Probably the wrong forum, but what posdible harm could there be in having all the press outlets owned by one or two huge conglomerates who can shape public opinion.

"cough-cough indeed"

• Thank you (+1) 2

21 hours ago, WideNine said:

Probably the wrong forum, but what posdible harm could there be in having all the press outlets owned by one or two huge conglomerates who can shape public opinion.

"cough-cough indeed"

Well one harm is in spelling.  When they eliminate the editors some terrible spellings get into articles even if articles are submitted via web with built in spell checks in HMIs.

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

Well one harm is in spelling.  When they eliminate the editors some terrible spellings get into articles even if articles are submitted via web with built in spell checks in HMIs.

it seems like the writers don't even proofread their articles.  They do things I do when posting something online - like start a sentence, change it a little, and forget to get rid of a few words left over.............A simple proofread would take care of that.  But, I'm stuck trying to reword their sentence for it to make sense.  

It seems like they don't care about their product.